    blocks infrared wavelengths? If it is, how is an infrared photo
    achieved with the camera?

    Robert
    Robert Burns, Jan 20, 2008

  2. Robert Burns

    Matt Ion Guest

    Robert Burns wrote:
    > Is the Pentax K10 Digital capable of infrared photography? If not, is
    > it because there is a filter in front of the CCD sensor that effectively
    > blocks infrared wavelengths? If it is, how is an infrared photo
    > achieved with the camera?
    >
    > Robert

    There's a lot of good info here, and some examples of the different
    types of filters available: http://www.lifepixel.com/
    Matt Ion, Jan 20, 2008

  3. Robert Burns

    tomm42 Guest

    On Jan 19, 11:52 pm, Robert Burns <> wrote:
    > Is the Pentax K10 Digital capable of infrared photography? If not, is
    > it because there is a filter in front of the CCD sensor that effectively
    > blocks infrared wavelengths? If it is, how is an infrared photo
    > achieved with the camera?
    >
    > Robert

    Since CCD sensors are sensitive to near infrared there is a filter in
    front of the sensor in almost all digital cameras that filters out
    infrared. This seems to have gotten stronger in recent years with some
    notable exceptions like the Leica M8, then owners needed an add on
    filter (Hot Mirror) to correct the sensor color. Not sure where the
    K10D sits as to its infrared filter. To cut all light out and only
    allow infrared in you need an 87B filter or its equivalent. If your
    infrared filter is strong this may require extened exposures to get at
    image. There are services that will remove the infrared filter, just
    search for "digital infrared photography".

    Tom
    tomm42, Jan 21, 2008
  4. ? "tomm42" <> ?????? ??? ??????
    > On Jan 19, 11:52 pm, Robert Burns <> wrote:
    > > Is the Pentax K10 Digital capable of infrared photography? If not, is
    > > it because there is a filter in front of the CCD sensor that effectively
    > > blocks infrared wavelengths? If it is, how is an infrared photo
    > > achieved with the camera?
    > >
    > > Robert

    > Since CCD sensors are sensitive to near infrared there is a filter in
    > front of the sensor in almost all digital cameras that filters out
    > infrared. This seems to have gotten stronger in recent years with some
    > notable exceptions like the Leica M8, then owners needed an add on
    > filter (Hot Mirror) to correct the sensor color. Not sure where the
    > K10D sits as to its infrared filter. To cut all light out and only
    > allow infrared in you need an 87B filter or its equivalent. If your
    > infrared filter is strong this may require extened exposures to get at
    > image. There are services that will remove the infrared filter, just
    > search for "digital infrared photography".

    Why sacrifice a working camera, and not use a camcorder(maybe in still mode)
    that has a night shot mode anyway?(All sony camcorders have that mode).They
    even have some IR leds for illumination in total darkness.OTOH, if you have
    an old camera to sacrifice...Just my 2 cents.

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    major in electrical engineering
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Jan 21, 2008
  5. Robert Burns

    Paul Furman Guest

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:
    > ? "tomm42" <> ?????? ??? ??????
    >> On Jan 19, 11:52 pm, Robert Burns <> wrote:
    >>> Is the Pentax K10 Digital capable of infrared photography? If not, is
    >>> it because there is a filter in front of the CCD sensor that effectively
    >>> blocks infrared wavelengths? If it is, how is an infrared photo
    >>> achieved with the camera?
    >>>
    >>> Robert

    >> Since CCD sensors are sensitive to near infrared there is a filter in
    >> front of the sensor in almost all digital cameras that filters out
    >> infrared. This seems to have gotten stronger in recent years with some
    >> notable exceptions like the Leica M8, then owners needed an add on
    >> filter (Hot Mirror) to correct the sensor color. Not sure where the
    >> K10D sits as to its infrared filter. To cut all light out and only
    >> allow infrared in you need an 87B filter or its equivalent. If your
    >> infrared filter is strong this may require extened exposures to get at
    >> image. There are services that will remove the infrared filter, just
    >> search for "digital infrared photography".
    >>

    > Why sacrifice a working camera, and not use a camcorder(maybe in still mode)
    > that has a night shot mode anyway?(All sony camcorders have that mode).They
    > even have some IR leds for illumination in total darkness.OTOH, if you have
    > an old camera to sacrifice...Just my 2 cents.

    I was playing around with my webcam: took the lens off (IR filter is in
    the lens) & put 35mm lenses on and it really showed infrared, light
    colored foliage even in daylight. Of course the image quality is crap
    though.
    Paul Furman, Jan 21, 2008