    Hoss Guest

    What is the deal with the warranties on imported digital from the USA ?
    T.I.A.

    Hoss, Dec 26, 2003

  2. Hoss

    zip Guest

    Generally unless it states it comes with a world wide warranty you'd have to
    send it back to the country of purchase for warranty service.

    zip, Dec 26, 2003

  3. Hoss

    Brian Harmer Guest

    On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 05:50:23 GMT, "zip" <>
    wrote:

    >Generally unless it states it comes with a world wide warranty you'd have to
    >send it back to the country of purchase for warranty service.
    >

    >"Hoss" <> wrote in message
    >> What is the deal with the warranties on imported digital from the USA ?
    >> T.I.A.

    However, if you bought it in NZ from a parallel importer, they would
    surely be bound by the Consumer Guarantees Act?

    Brian Harmer, Dec 26, 2003
  4. Hoss

    sal Guest

    On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 21:52:51 +1300, Brian Harmer
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 05:50:23 GMT, "zip" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Generally unless it states it comes with a world wide warranty you'd have to
    >>send it back to the country of purchase for warranty service.
    >>

    >>"Hoss" <> wrote in message
    >>> What is the deal with the warranties on imported digital from the USA ?
    >>> T.I.A.

    >However, if you bought it in NZ from a parallel importer, they would
    >surely be bound by the Consumer Guarantees Act?

    Yes, they would have to cover all the costs and handle it all for you.
    Essentially the retailer has to remedy the issue, and within a
    reasonable time period. (For a digital camera I would think it would
    be between 2-3weeks for a repair or replacement)

    sal, Dec 26, 2003
  5. Hoss

    MarkH Guest

    sal <> wrote in

    > On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 21:52:51 +1300, Brian Harmer
    ><> wrote:
    >>However, if you bought it in NZ from a parallel importer, they would
    >>surely be bound by the Consumer Guarantees Act?

    > Yes, they would have to cover all the costs and handle it all for you.
    > Essentially the retailer has to remedy the issue, and within a
    > reasonable time period. (For a digital camera I would think it would
    > be between 2-3weeks for a repair or replacement)

    And if they took 5 weeks what would your recourse be?

    For a D-SLR I would be reluctant to take the risk. For a compact digital
    there is less to go wrong, on a $500 camera I would probably chance it.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"

    MarkH, Dec 26, 2003
  6. Hoss

    Fishb8 Guest

    It would pay to get an extended warranty from a company such as "Mack". They
    allow local repairs. I bought a Minolta from the States but that has a
    worldwide warranty.
    ~~~~~<*)))))><{~~~~~~~~~~<*)))))><{~~~~~~~~
    ~~~<*)))))><{~~~~~~~~~<*)))))><{~~~~~~~~<*)))))><{~~~~ ®
    Roy Price - May the Fish be with you!

    Fishb8, Dec 26, 2003
  7. Brian Harmer <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 05:50:23 GMT, "zip" <>
    >wrote:
    >>Generally unless it states it comes with a world wide warranty you'd have to
    >>send it back to the country of purchase for warranty service.
    >>
    >>"Hoss" <>
    >>> What is the deal with the warranties on imported digital from the USA ?
    >>> T.I.A.

    >However, if you bought it in NZ from a parallel importer, they would
    >surely be bound by the Consumer Guarantees Act?

    The main issue with either parallel importing a camera yourself, or purchasing
    one from an importer, is whether the benefits outweigh the risks. It's also
    worth noting than retail shops will do deals to get sales, so you can often get
    assessories included in a local package to make it more competitive. You have
    to be confident that if you buy from a parallel importer they will actually be
    able to immediately honour their responsibilities under the CGA, and not muck
    you about trying to minimise their cost.

    Worldwide warranties may only apply to goods sold via approved dealers, eg My
    international Canon lense warranty notes that all repairs will be charged if:-
    "Malfunctions resulting from repairs, modifications or disassembling cleaning
    performed by any party other than authorised Canon Service facilities."
    "Omission or alteration of dealer's name and purchase date." I'm not certain
    that a parallel importer putting their name and date on the card would be seen
    as the start date by Canon, it may be the date they purchased it overseas.

    They also note that it does not limit any of your statutory rights, and the
    Canon Australia-NZ warranty for the camera body notes that it should be read in
    conjunction with the Consumer Guarantee Act, and that customers are responsible
    for all transport costs if failure is outside Australia-NZ.

    Depending on the brand, all the warranty provisions from the manufacturer may
    not be available except via approved sales-service organisations, and the
    parallel importer may just offer an exchange or refund if products are
    regional, as they can't get the service performed by trained service people in
    any reasonable time.

    Note that most warranties require some proof of purchase and usually start from
    date of purchase from the authorised dealer, and also say that customers are
    responsible for ensuring the camera reaches the authorised dealer or service
    centre without further damage, and customers should ensure that goods are
    insured in case of loss during transit to their authorised service centre.

    Some cameras are region-specific eg Canon sell almost identical digital SLR
    body as "Digital Rebel" in the USA, " 300D" in most of the world and "Kiss" in
    Japan ( with a better lens than the others ), so the local dealers may not be
    able or willing to offer support for an orphan that has been imported.

    Digital SLRs tend have a lot more mechanical things that can, and do, go wrong,
    especially for the "cheaper", mass-produced ones ( that are still above NZ
    $2000+ ). Issues like out-of-focus and shutter-life tend to dominate complaints
    in discussion groups on DPreview. Most dealers ( and probably parallel
    importers ) offer an extended warranty-service plan that is usually
    underwritten by an insurance company or the camera manufacturer.

    It's really a choice of how lucky you feel, and whether the benefits will
    outweigh any potential future hassles.

    Bruce Hamilton

    Bruce Hamilton, Dec 26, 2003
  8. Hoss

    steve Guest

    On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 17:12:57 +1300, Hoss wrote:

    > What is the deal with the warranties on imported digital from the USA ?
    > T.I.A.

    Depends on the vendor.

    When I bought my SONY camera in Hong Kong, I paid extra directly to the
    SONY office in HK to register a global warranty....and they sent me a
    global warranty document a week or so later.

    It turned out to be a good thing to do as the shutter button failed within
    weeks of returning to NZ (condensation short?)....and I had to send it to
    SONY in Auckland to get it fixed...which they did, free of charge - but
    only after I proved I had a global warranty cover.

    steve, Dec 26, 2003
  9. Hoss

    sal Guest

    On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 11:57:27 +0000 (UTC), MarkH <>
    wrote:

    >sal <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 21:52:51 +1300, Brian Harmer
    >><> wrote:
    >>>However, if you bought it in NZ from a parallel importer, they would
    >>>surely be bound by the Consumer Guarantees Act?

    >> Yes, they would have to cover all the costs and handle it all for you.
    >> Essentially the retailer has to remedy the issue, and within a
    >> reasonable time period. (For a digital camera I would think it would
    >> be between 2-3weeks for a repair or replacement)

    >And if they took 5 weeks what would your recourse be?
    >
    >For a D-SLR I would be reluctant to take the risk. For a compact digital
    >there is less to go wrong, on a $500 camera I would probably chance it.

    You could demnda a refund or replacement under the CGA if it took too
    long.

    sal, Dec 26, 2003
  10. Hoss

    MarkH Guest

    sal <> wrote in

    > On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 11:57:27 +0000 (UTC), MarkH <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>sal <> wrote in

    >>> Yes, they would have to cover all the costs and handle it all for
    >>> you. Essentially the retailer has to remedy the issue, and within a
    >>> reasonable time period. (For a digital camera I would think it would
    >>> be between 2-3weeks for a repair or replacement)

    >>And if they took 5 weeks what would your recourse be?
    >>
    >>For a D-SLR I would be reluctant to take the risk. For a compact
    >>digital there is less to go wrong, on a $500 camera I would probably
    >>chance it.

    > You could demnda a refund or replacement under the CGA if it took too
    > long.

    If they said no, please wait another week, what then? By the time you
    could get them into small claims, the camera would have been repaired and
    returned. It may not be the cleverest move to buy the camera and think
    that if they took any more than 3 weeks you can just walk in and grab a
    replacement.

    Who is to say that a reasonable time is 3 weeks and not 5?

    MarkH, Dec 27, 2003
  11. Hoss

    Dumdedo Guest

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 01:08:23 +0000 (UTC), MarkH <> wrote:

    >sal <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 11:57:27 +0000 (UTC), MarkH <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>sal <> wrote in

    >>>And if they took 5 weeks what would your recourse be?
    >>>
    >>>For a D-SLR I would be reluctant to take the risk. For a compact
    >>>digital there is less to go wrong, on a $500 camera I would probably
    >>>chance it.

    >> You could demnda a refund or replacement under the CGA if it took too
    >> long.

    >If they said no, please wait another week, what then? By the time you
    >could get them into small claims, the camera would have been repaired and
    >returned. It may not be the cleverest move to buy the camera and think
    >that if they took any more than 3 weeks you can just walk in and grab a
    >replacement.
    >
    >Who is to say that a reasonable time is 3 weeks and not 5?

    And Kodak Cameras I sent to OZZ for repairs..

    Dumdedo, Dec 27, 2003
  12. On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 12:02:46 +1300, steve wrote:

    > Depends on the vendor.

    Indeed. Some global warranties aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

    > It turned out to be a good thing to do as the shutter button failed
    > within weeks of returning to NZ (condensation short?)....and I had to
    > send it to SONY in Auckland to get it fixed...which they did, free of
    > charge - but only after I proved I had a global warranty cover.

    If you ever look at Acer's worldwide warranty, you'll find it's
    specifically not applicable in NZ. A lot of people have been burned by
    that misrepresentation.

    (This is nz.comp after all...)

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Dec 27, 2003
  13. Hoss

    sal Guest

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 14:19:04 +1300, Dumdedo
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 01:08:23 +0000 (UTC), MarkH <> wrote:
    >
    >>sal <> wrote in

    >>> You could demnda a refund or replacement under the CGA if it took too
    >>> long.

    >>If they said no, please wait another week, what then? By the time you
    >>could get them into small claims, the camera would have been repaired and
    >>returned. It may not be the cleverest move to buy the camera and think
    >>that if they took any more than 3 weeks you can just walk in and grab a
    >>replacement.
    >>
    >>Who is to say that a reasonable time is 3 weeks and not 5?

    >And Kodak Cameras I sent to OZZ for repairs..

    Kodak, been there & done that although they do have a NZ office that
    you would be better to send it to.

    Yes I would never buy a parallel imported camera, as things do go
    wrong with them. 3 weeks I have been told is about average for a
    repair in NZ. ANywhere over a month is excessive, and I would either
    ask them for a replacement or a refund, as is likely that the service
    people are either they are over worked and not enough staff to cover
    the demand, or there is a major defect with the camera. The best
    thing to do is remind the shop that you are waiting. Some shops will
    also lend you a loan camera while it is being repaired, so ask your
    retailer if they provide this service.

    sal, Dec 27, 2003