Digital Image Stitching II

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ChrisM, Oct 31, 2007.

  1. ChrisM

    ChrisM Guest

    Hi, me again.

    Sorry to start a new thread but the previous one is getting a bit long, and
    I though this new question might get lost in the mist...

    So, I've had a play with Autostitch, Hugin and Pandora for GIMP. Didn't have
    much joy with Pandora, couldn't really work out how to use it within the
    GIMP interface, but GIMP runs slowly on my computer anyway, so it would
    probably have been a bit laborious trying to use that.
    Autostitch is excellent! Not sure how it works, but obviously written by
    someone very clever...

    Hugin is also pretty neat, though it requires a lot more effort. I had quite
    encouraging success playing with it last night. The series of photos were a
    bit rough and ready, and I didn't take any care to ensure they were all
    taken from exactly the same point so there was a fair bit of parallax
    difference between the images. It kind of worked though, and I now have a
    lovely 180 degrees panarama of my living room... :)
    Question on Hugin though, can it handle more than one row of photos, that is
    can it stitch a BLOCK of pictures together, say a 4x3 block or will it only
    do single height 'strips' of pictures (1x2, 1x3, 1x4 etc.). The reason I ask
    is that the interface only seems to let you set control points between a
    picture and one other picture. To stitch 2 dimentional blocks of photos,
    you'd need to be able to set control points between a picture and up to four
    others...

    Hope that makes sense, and that someone can give me an answer :)

    --
    Regards,
    Chris.
    ChrisM, Oct 31, 2007

  2. On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 09:54:59 -0000, ChrisM <> wrote:
    > Hi, me again.
    >
    > Sorry to start a new thread but the previous one is getting a bit long, and
    > I though this new question might get lost in the mist...
    >
    > So, I've had a play with Autostitch, Hugin and Pandora for GIMP. Didn't have
    > much joy with Pandora, couldn't really work out how to use it within the
    > GIMP interface, but GIMP runs slowly on my computer anyway, so it would
    > probably have been a bit laborious trying to use that.
    > Autostitch is excellent! Not sure how it works, but obviously written by
    > someone very clever...
    >
    > Hugin is also pretty neat, though it requires a lot more effort. I had quite
    > encouraging success playing with it last night. The series of photos were a
    > bit rough and ready, and I didn't take any care to ensure they were all
    > taken from exactly the same point so there was a fair bit of parallax
    > difference between the images. It kind of worked though, and I now have a
    > lovely 180 degrees panarama of my living room... :)
    > Question on Hugin though, can it handle more than one row of photos, that is
    > can it stitch a BLOCK of pictures together, say a 4x3 block or will it only
    > do single height 'strips' of pictures (1x2, 1x3, 1x4 etc.). The reason I ask
    > is that the interface only seems to let you set control points between a
    > picture and one other picture. To stitch 2 dimentional blocks of photos,
    > you'd need to be able to set control points between a picture and up to four
    > others...

    Yes, Hugin can do matrices as well as strips. You can set up control
    points between any pair of images (or even two points within one image;
    useful for defining horizontals and verticals); just use the pull-down
    menus at the top of the Control Points tab (I think that's the right
    name; it's been a while). It starts by default with image 1 and image 2
    selected, but you can set up points between 1&2, and then change the
    second image and set points between 1&3, etc.

    -dms
    Daniel Silevitch, Oct 31, 2007

  3. ChrisM

    acl Guest

    On Oct 31, 12:54 pm, "ChrisM" <> wrote:
    > Hi, me again.
    >
    > Sorry to start a new thread but the previous one is getting a bit long, and
    > I though this new question might get lost in the mist...
    >
    > So, I've had a play with Autostitch, Hugin and Pandora for GIMP. Didn't have
    > much joy with Pandora, couldn't really work out how to use it within the
    > GIMP interface, but GIMP runs slowly on my computer anyway, so it would
    > probably have been a bit laborious trying to use that.
    > Autostitch is excellent! Not sure how it works, but obviously written by
    > someone very clever...
    >
    > Hugin is also pretty neat, though it requires a lot more effort. I had quite
    > encouraging success playing with it last night. The series of photos were a
    > bit rough and ready, and I didn't take any care to ensure they were all
    > taken from exactly the same point so there was a fair bit of parallax
    > difference between the images. It kind of worked though, and I now have a
    > lovely 180 degrees panarama of my living room... :)
    > Question on Hugin though, can it handle more than one row of photos, that is
    > can it stitch a BLOCK of pictures together, say a 4x3 block or will it only
    > do single height 'strips' of pictures (1x2, 1x3, 1x4 etc.). The reason I ask
    > is that the interface only seems to let you set control points between a
    > picture and one other picture. To stitch 2 dimentional blocks of photos,
    > you'd need to be able to set control points between a picture and up to four
    > others...

    You can set up points between any pair of images, they are just
    displayed side by side. By the way, did you install autosift? It
    automatically puts control points when you load the images, and this
    saves an enormous amount of time (many times you don't have to do
    anything except select optimize and stitch).
    acl, Oct 31, 2007
  4. ChrisM

    ChrisM Guest

    In message ,
    acl <> Proclaimed from the tallest tower:

    > On Oct 31, 12:54 pm, "ChrisM" <> wrote:
    >> Hi, me again.
    >>
    >> Sorry to start a new thread but the previous one is getting a bit
    >> long, and I though this new question might get lost in the mist...
    >>
    >> So, I've had a play with Autostitch, Hugin and Pandora for GIMP.
    >> Didn't have much joy with Pandora, couldn't really work out how to
    >> use it within the GIMP interface, but GIMP runs slowly on my
    >> computer anyway, so it would probably have been a bit laborious
    >> trying to use that.
    >> Autostitch is excellent! Not sure how it works, but obviously
    >> written by someone very clever...
    >>
    >> Hugin is also pretty neat, though it requires a lot more effort. I
    >> had quite encouraging success playing with it last night. The series
    >> of photos were a bit rough and ready, and I didn't take any care to
    >> ensure they were all taken from exactly the same point so there was
    >> a fair bit of parallax difference between the images. It kind of
    >> worked though, and I now have a lovely 180 degrees panarama of my
    >> living room... :)
    >> Question on Hugin though, can it handle more than one row of photos,
    >> that is can it stitch a BLOCK of pictures together, say a 4x3 block
    >> or will it only do single height 'strips' of pictures (1x2, 1x3, 1x4
    >> etc.). The reason I ask is that the interface only seems to let you
    >> set control points between a picture and one other picture. To
    >> stitch 2 dimentional blocks of photos, you'd need to be able to set
    >> control points between a picture and up to four others...
    >>

    > You can set up points between any pair of images, they are just
    > displayed side by side. By the way, did you install autosift? It
    > automatically puts control points when you load the images, and this
    > saves an enormous amount of time (many times you don't have to do
    > anything except select optimize and stitch).

    Not sure about autosift. Is that a part of Hugin, or a seperate program that
    I need to install and that then runs alongside/inside?
    Something ran when I loaded the images and managed to add a few control
    points, but not many. Then again, like I said,

    ChrisM, Oct 31, 2007
  5. ChrisM

    ChrisM Guest

    In message ,
    acl <> Proclaimed from the tallest tower:

    > On Oct 31, 12:54 pm, "ChrisM" <> wrote:
    >> Hi, me again.
    >>
    >> Sorry to start a new thread but the previous one is getting a bit
    >> long, and I though this new question might get lost in the mist...
    >>
    >> So, I've had a play with Autostitch, Hugin and Pandora for GIMP.
    >> Didn't have much joy with Pandora, couldn't really work out how to
    >> use it within the GIMP interface, but GIMP runs slowly on my
    >> computer anyway, so it would probably have been a bit laborious
    >> trying to use that.
    >> Autostitch is excellent! Not sure how it works, but obviously
    >> written by someone very clever...
    >>
    >> Hugin is also pretty neat, though it requires a lot more effort. I
    >> had quite encouraging success playing with it last night. The series
    >> of photos were a bit rough and ready, and I didn't take any care to
    >> ensure they were all taken from exactly the same point so there was
    >> a fair bit of parallax difference between the images. It kind of
    >> worked though, and I now have a lovely 180 degrees panarama of my
    >> living room... :)
    >> Question on Hugin though, can it handle more than one row of photos,
    >> that is can it stitch a BLOCK of pictures together, say a 4x3 block
    >> or will it only do single height 'strips' of pictures (1x2, 1x3, 1x4
    >> etc.). The reason I ask is that the interface only seems to let you
    >> set control points between a picture and one other picture. To
    >> stitch 2 dimentional blocks of photos, you'd need to be able to set
    >> control points between a picture and up to four others...
    >>

    > You can set up points between any pair of images, they are just
    > displayed side by side. By the way, did you install autosift? It
    > automatically puts control points when you load the images, and this
    > saves an enormous amount of time (many times you don't have to do
    > anything except select optimize and stitch).

    Sorry, Hate this laptop. There's a touchpad at the front of the keyboard,
    and if your not careful, you brush your hand against it and it does a mouse
    click and sends your frikkin message before you've finished writing it...

    As I was saying. I didn't explicitly install autosift, but something made an
    attempt to add some control points, but didn't do very well- probably
    because as I said earlier, my pictures didn't line up nicely. (think it said
    something about autopano???)
    Is Autosift better or the same thing as Autopano?

    Understand about lining up 'matrices' now, thanks (and to Daniel). Am
    hopefully doing a walk at the weekend, so if I get the chance, I'll try and
    take a set of photos and see if I can stick them all together!
    I'll throw the same set at Autostitch, and see who can do the best job :)

    ChrisM, Oct 31, 2007
  6. ChrisM

    acl Guest

    On Oct 31, 3:10 pm, "ChrisM" <> wrote:
    > In message ,
    > acl <> Proclaimed from the tallest tower:
    >

    > > On Oct 31, 12:54 pm, "ChrisM" <> wrote:
    > >> Hi, me again.

    > >> Sorry to start a new thread but the previous one is getting a bit
    > >> long, and I though this new question might get lost in the mist...

    > >> So, I've had a play with Autostitch, Hugin and Pandora for GIMP.
    > >> Didn't have much joy with Pandora, couldn't really work out how to
    > >> use it within the GIMP interface, but GIMP runs slowly on my
    > >> computer anyway, so it would probably have been a bit laborious
    > >> trying to use that.
    > >> Autostitch is excellent! Not sure how it works, but obviously
    > >> written by someone very clever...

    > >> Hugin is also pretty neat, though it requires a lot more effort. I
    > >> had quite encouraging success playing with it last night. The series
    > >> of photos were a bit rough and ready, and I didn't take any care to
    > >> ensure they were all taken from exactly the same point so there was
    > >> a fair bit of parallax difference between the images. It kind of
    > >> worked though, and I now have a lovely 180 degrees panarama of my
    > >> living room... :)
    > >> Question on Hugin though, can it handle more than one row of photos,
    > >> that is can it stitch a BLOCK of pictures together, say a 4x3 block
    > >> or will it only do single height 'strips' of pictures (1x2, 1x3, 1x4
    > >> etc.). The reason I ask is that the interface only seems to let you
    > >> set control points between a picture and one other picture. To
    > >> stitch 2 dimentional blocks of photos, you'd need to be able to set
    > >> control points between a picture and up to four others...

    > > You can set up points between any pair of images, they are just
    > > displayed side by side. By the way, did you install autosift? It
    > > automatically puts control points when you load the images, and this
    > > saves an enormous amount of time (many times you don't have to do
    > > anything except select optimize and stitch).

    > Sorry, Hate this laptop. There's a touchpad at the front of the keyboard,
    > and if your not careful, you brush your hand against it and it does a mouse
    > click and sends your frikkin message before you've finished writing it...
    >
    > As I was saying. I didn't explicitly install autosift, but something made an
    > attempt to add some control points, but didn't do very well- probably
    > because as I said earlier, my pictures didn't line up nicely. (think it said
    > something about autopano???)
    > Is Autosift better or the same thing as Autopano?
    >
    > Understand about lining up 'matrices' now, thanks (and to Daniel). Am
    > hopefully doing a walk at the weekend, so if I get the chance, I'll try and
    > take a set of photos and see if I can stick them all together!
    > I'll throw the same set at Autostitch, and see who can do the best job :)

    probably autopano-sift.

    OK if you took shots of your living room handheld, no wonder you got
    parallax error: the closer things are, the more careful you have to
    be. What you have to do is rotate the camera around the entrance
    pupil, ie, look at the lens from the front, note where the aperture
    stop appears to be, and attempt to rotate the camera around that point
    (I hope that's clear!). A tripod without a panoramic head won't help
    for close-up panoramas.

    Hugin is a frontend to panorama tools; you can't get more powerful
    than that. But maybe autostitch can automate the job better (I didn't
    like it, but don't remember why).
    acl, Oct 31, 2007
  7. ChrisM

    ChrisM Guest

    In message ,
    acl <> Proclaimed from the tallest tower:

    > On Oct 31, 3:10 pm, "ChrisM" <> wrote:
    >> In message ,
    >> acl <> Proclaimed from the tallest
    >> tower:

    >>> You can set up points between any pair of images, they are just
    >>> displayed side by side. By the way, did you install autosift? It
    >>> automatically puts control points when you load the images, and this
    >>> saves an enormous amount of time (many times you don't have to do
    >>> anything except select optimize and stitch).

    >> Sorry, Hate this laptop. There's a touchpad at the front of the
    >> keyboard, and if your not careful, you brush your hand against it
    >> and it does a mouse click and sends your frikkin message before
    >> you've finished writing it...
    >>
    >> As I was saying. I didn't explicitly install autosift, but something
    >> made an attempt to add some control points, but didn't do very well-
    >> probably because as I said earlier, my pictures didn't line up
    >> nicely. (think it said something about autopano???)
    >> Is Autosift better or the same thing as Autopano?
    >>
    >> Understand about lining up 'matrices' now, thanks (and to Daniel). Am
    >> hopefully doing a walk at the weekend, so if I get the chance, I'll
    >> try and take a set of photos and see if I can stick them all
    >> together!
    >> I'll throw the same set at Autostitch, and see who can do the best
    >> job :)
    >>

    > probably autopano-sift.

    So that is Autosift or Autopano or are they both the same thing?

    > OK if you took shots of your living room handheld, no wonder you got
    > parallax error: the closer things are, the more careful you have to
    > be. What you have to do is rotate the camera around the entrance
    > pupil, ie, look at the lens from the front, note where the aperture
    > stop appears to be, and attempt to rotate the camera around that point
    > (I hope that's clear!). A tripod without a panoramic head won't help
    > for close-up panoramas.

    Think I understand... so I effectively want to try and rotate the camera
    around its 'front lens'? A panoramic head would allow you to rotate the
    camera in this way I guess? TBH, with my little P&S, the lens doesn't stick
    out of the camera anyway, so rotating about the lens and rotating the camera
    (assuming I keep the axis through the lens) is pretty much the same thing
    anyway. Trying to think now if the tripod socket is inline with the lens or
    not... but can't remember... <Has a quick rummage in Google Images> ... ah
    yes, the tripod socket is directly below the lens, so rotating the camera on
    a normal tripod WOULD work reasonably well in my case I think(?)

    Anyway, normally, it will be photos of landscapes, and when I'm trying to
    make proper panaramas, I WILL take much more care. This was a case of
    wanting half a dozen pictures to play with, so get the camera out and
    click,click,click,click,click,click as I'm standing in the centre of the
    room and turning slightly for each picture.
    To be honest, considering how badly some of the pictures line up, the job it
    did (once I'd given it enough control points) is not too bad. If you look
    closely, the perspective looks a bit odd, and there are kind of 'creases'
    in one or two of the joins, but I suppose however well you do it, a 3D room
    'opened out' into a 2D picture IS going to look a little bit strange... :)

    ChrisM, Oct 31, 2007
  8. ChrisM

    acl Guest

    On Oct 31, 2:38 pm, "ChrisM" <> wrote:
    > In message ,
    > acl <> Proclaimed from the tallest tower:
    >

    > > On Oct 31, 3:10 pm, "ChrisM" <> wrote:
    > >> In message ,
    > >> acl <> Proclaimed from the tallest
    > >> tower:

    > >> Sorry, Hate this laptop. There's a touchpad at the front of the
    > >> keyboard, and if your not careful, you brush your hand against it
    > >> and it does a mouse click and sends your frikkin message before
    > >> you've finished writing it...

    > >> As I was saying. I didn't explicitly install autosift, but something
    > >> made an attempt to add some control points, but didn't do very well-
    > >> probably because as I said earlier, my pictures didn't line up
    > >> nicely. (think it said something about autopano???)
    > >> Is Autosift better or the same thing as Autopano?

    > >> Understand about lining up 'matrices' now, thanks (and to Daniel). Am
    > >> hopefully doing a walk at the weekend, so if I get the chance, I'll
    > >> try and take a set of photos and see if I can stick them all
    > >> together!
    > >> I'll throw the same set at Autostitch, and see who can do the best
    > >> job :)

    > > probably autopano-sift.

    > So that is Autosift or Autopano or are they both the same thing?
    >

    > > OK if you took shots of your living room handheld, no wonder you got
    > > parallax error: the closer things are, the more careful you have to
    > > be. What you have to do is rotate the camera around the entrance
    > > pupil, ie, look at the lens from the front, note where the aperture
    > > stop appears to be, and attempt to rotate the camera around that point
    > > (I hope that's clear!). A tripod without a panoramic head won't help
    > > for close-up panoramas.

    > Think I understand... so I effectively want to try and rotate the camera
    > around its 'front lens'?

    If by that you mean around the frontmost glass element, not exactly.
    You want the entrance pupil, which is located where the aperture stop
    appears to be when looking into the lens from the front (see the
    second photo at
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aperture
    that's the aperture stop).

    But if you have a compact with a lens that's basically inside, there
    won't be much difference, like you say. Just rotate the camera "around
    the lens" and you should be ok. It really isn't hard.

    > A panoramic head would allow you to rotate the
    > camera in this way I guess? TBH, with my little P&S, the lens doesn't stick
    > out of the camera anyway, so rotating about the lens and rotating the camera
    > (assuming I keep the axis through the lens) is pretty much the same thing
    > anyway. Trying to think now if the tripod socket is inline with the lens or
    > not... but can't remember... <Has a quick rummage in Google Images> ... ah
    > yes, the tripod socket is directly below the lens, so rotating the camera on
    > a normal tripod WOULD work reasonably well in my case I think(?)
    >
    > Anyway, normally, it will be photos of landscapes, and when I'm trying to
    > make proper panaramas, I WILL take much more care.

    Landscapes are much easier. It saves a lot of effort later if you also
    make sure to have the same exposure and white balance in all the
    shots.

    have fun!

    acl, Oct 31, 2007
  9. ChrisM

    Annika1980 Guest

    Also take a look at PTGui before you decide.
    That's my favorite stitching program. It can handle mutliple-row
    panoramas and pretty much anything else you can throw at it.

    http://www.ptgui.com/
    Annika1980, Oct 31, 2007
  10. ChrisM

    acl Guest

    On Oct 31, 2:46 pm, Annika1980 <> wrote:
    > Also take a look at PTGui before you decide.
    > That's my favorite stitching program. It can handle mutliple-row
    > panoramas and pretty much anything else you can throw at it.
    >
    > http://www.ptgui.com/

    I tried ptgui and couldn't see any advantage over hugin which is free.
    But maybe I didn't spend enough time with it. Have you tried hugin
    (the program, as opposed to the activity)?
    acl, Oct 31, 2007
  11. ChrisM

    ChrisM Guest

    >> Think I understand... so I effectively want to try and rotate the
    >> camera around its 'front lens'?

    > If by that you mean around the frontmost glass element, not exactly.
    > You want the entrance pupil, which is located where the aperture stop
    > appears to be when looking into the lens from the front (see the
    > second photo at
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aperture
    > that's the aperture stop).

    Ahh, yes, that's really what I understood you to mean, I just didn't express
    myself very well...

    > Landscapes are much easier. It saves a lot of effort later if you also
    > make sure to have the same exposure and white balance in all the
    > shots.

    I figured they would be, I suppose the closer you are to the subject, the
    more important it is to get the rotation axis exactly right. Someone else
    said about setting white balance to manual. With exposure, hopefully, on a
    distant subject, and as long as the light doesn't change (sun goes behind a
    cloud or something) the auto exposure should stay consistant(?). I guess I
    need to experiment. The camera does have options to fix shutter speed and
    aparture etc, so I can try all that...

    > have fun!

    I intend to :) Thanks for your advice.

    ChrisM, Oct 31, 2007
  12. ChrisM

    ChrisM Guest

    In message ,
    Annika1980 <> Proclaimed from the tallest tower:

    > Also take a look at PTGui before you decide.
    > That's my favorite stitching program. It can handle mutliple-row
    > panoramas and pretty much anything else you can throw at it.
    >
    > http://www.ptgui.com/

    Will add it to my list... :)

    ChrisM, Oct 31, 2007
  13. ChrisM

    acl Guest

    On Oct 31, 2:56 pm, acl <> wrote:
    > On Oct 31, 2:46 pm, Annika1980 <> wrote:
    >
    > > Also take a look at PTGui before you decide.
    > > That's my favorite stitching program. It can handle mutliple-row
    > > panoramas and pretty much anything else you can throw at it.

    > >http://www.ptgui.com/

    > I tried ptgui and couldn't see any advantage over hugin which is free.
    > But maybe I didn't spend enough time with it. Have you tried hugin
    > (the program, as opposed to the activity)?

    eh... to be clear, have you tried hugin and have some idea of what the
    advantages of ptgui are, if any?
    acl, Oct 31, 2007
  14. ChrisM

    ray Guest

    On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 09:54:59 +0000, ChrisM wrote:

    > Hi, me again.
    >
    > Sorry to start a new thread but the previous one is getting a bit long, and
    > I though this new question might get lost in the mist...
    >
    > So, I've had a play with Autostitch, Hugin and Pandora for GIMP. Didn't have
    > much joy with Pandora, couldn't really work out how to use it within the
    > GIMP interface, but GIMP runs slowly on my computer anyway, so it would
    > probably have been a bit laborious trying to use that.
    > Autostitch is excellent! Not sure how it works, but obviously written by
    > someone very clever...

    On my GIMP (2.2) I click on the Xtns menu and select 'make panorama' then
    simply start adding files in the file dialog - left to right. It then
    comes up with the completed panorama - a simple one-step process.

    ray, Oct 31, 2007
  15. ChrisM

    ChrisM Guest

    In message ,
    ray <> Proclaimed from the tallest tower:

    > On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 09:54:59 +0000, ChrisM wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, me again.
    >>
    >> Sorry to start a new thread but the previous one is getting a bit
    >> long, and I though this new question might get lost in the mist...
    >>
    >> So, I've had a play with Autostitch, Hugin and Pandora for GIMP.
    >> Didn't have much joy with Pandora, couldn't really work out how to
    >> use it within the GIMP interface, but GIMP runs slowly on my
    >> computer anyway, so it would probably have been a bit laborious
    >> trying to use that.
    >> Autostitch is excellent! Not sure how it works, but obviously
    >> written by someone very clever...

    > On my GIMP (2.2) I click on the Xtns menu and select 'make panorama'
    > then simply start adding files in the file dialog - left to right. It
    > then comes up with the completed panorama - a simple one-step process.

    Maybe it is that easy... Didn't look at the Xtns menu!! I'll check it out
    this evening.
    Thanks!

    ChrisM, Oct 31, 2007
  16. On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 13:57:54 -0000, "ChrisM" <>
    wrote:

    >With exposure, hopefully, on a
    >distant subject, and as long as the light doesn't change (sun goes behind a
    >cloud or something) the auto exposure should stay consistant(?).

    No, it will not stay consistent on auto-exposure. Anything that changes the view
    will change the exposure and white-balance settings. It may not be apparent to
    your eye, or even when reviewing them in the camera, but rest assured that when
    you go to stitch them you will have glaring exposure and white-balance
    differences between the panorama panels that might be impossible to blend
    seamlessly.

    If your camera does not have a way to manually lock in exposure and
    white-balance settings, then you can use a clunky work-around that I discovered
    about 8 years ago using my first digicam, then posted this method to the
    internet for others to learn from.

    Select an area of your panorama that has some average light values, the
    mid-range intensity and color-values of your full panorama. Example, if taking
    an image of a sunset, select an area halfway between the reds of the sun and the
    dark-blues of the sky. Take that shot. REMEMBER THAT SCENE. Now frame that shot
    again, half-press the shutter to lock in its exposure and white-balance setting.
    Pan over to your next pano-panel, fully depress the shutter to take that new
    image. Return to your first reference scene. Half-press to lock in it's exposure
    and white-balance again. Pan to the 3rd panel you want. Repeat as many times as
    you need.
    PanoramaLlama, Oct 31, 2007
  17. ChrisM

    Guest

    On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 12:10:22 -0000, "ChrisM" <>
    wrote:

    >Sorry, Hate this laptop. There's a touchpad at the front of the keyboard,
    >and if your not careful, you brush your hand against it and it does a mouse
    >click and sends your frikkin message before you've finished writing it...

    You can disable the touchpad. Here's how to do it in XP Pro: go to Control
    Panel, select Mouse, then select the rightmost tab which says Device Settings.
    Highlight the touchpad and click on the button that says Disable.

    It will be similar enough in other versions of Widows that you should be able to
    figure it out if you need to.
    , Oct 31, 2007
  18. ChrisM

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    ChrisM <> wrote:

    > Anyway, normally, it will be photos of landscapes, and when I'm trying to
    > make proper panaramas, I WILL take much more care. This was a case of
    > wanting half a dozen pictures to play with, so get the camera out and
    > click,click,click,click,click,click as I'm standing in the centre of the
    > room and turning slightly for each picture.
    > To be honest, considering how badly some of the pictures line up, the job it
    > did (once I'd given it enough control points) is not too bad. If you look
    > closely, the perspective looks a bit odd, and there are kind of 'creases'
    > in one or two of the joins, but I suppose however well you do it, a 3D room
    > 'opened out' into a 2D picture IS going to look a little bit strange... :)

    This is where you tell Hugin to output a layered TIFF or multiple TIFF
    images. Then you bring them into Photoshop and tweak the edges.

    For instance, in this image:
    <http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=300752941&size=l>

    ....the clouds were moving pretty quickly, so even though there were no
    obvious parallax problems, the subject matter was changing between
    shots. I had the visual equivalent of a skipping record. So I painted
    the layer mask of the various layers to mask out the redundant clouds.
    This is something no software can do (at present <g>), and in fact the
    auto-aligner had added control points on those clouds, and I had to
    remove them to make the stitch work.

    --
    http://www.xoverboard.com/cartoons/2007/070416_argument.html
    Paul Mitchum, Oct 31, 2007
  19. On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 12:10:30 -0700, 0m (Paul Mitchum) wrote:

    >This is something no software can do (at present <g>),

    Any panorama editor that supports the "SmartBlend" plugin does exactly this,
    automatically, without any mucking about in PhotoShop. Hugin being one of them.
    PTGUI being another.

    Why are people who keep their head stuck in PhotoShop so ignorant to all the
    better software out there? It's like PhotoShop makes them blind and ignorant,
    then it keeps them that way.
    PanoramaLlama, Oct 31, 2007
  20. PanoramaLlama wrote:
    > On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 12:10:30 -0700, 0m (Paul Mitchum) wrote:
    >
    >> This is something no software can do (at present <g>),

    > Any panorama editor that supports the "SmartBlend" plugin does exactly this,
    > automatically, without any mucking about in PhotoShop. Hugin being one of them.
    > PTGUI being another.

    Well, I use Hugin and it will do something about mismatched clouds,
    but it won't properly patch them up. And when you use the SIFT
    automatcher, yes it will try to put control points on moving
    clouds .... which is a big no-no. This will show up as terrible
    match statistics when you do an optimize, but you have to manually
    remove th offending points.

    The correct thing to do is to go into Photoshop with the remapped
    TIFFS and use "liquify" a bit to make them match better. Then the
    Hugin autoblender will work OK. You don't have to get it perfect.

    Doug McDonald
    Doug McDonald, Oct 31, 2007