    properties (which revealed nothing unusual). I can not open those JPEG
    pictures with image viewer either, all to no avail. Any help would be
    appreciated.

    Peter, Dec 23, 2003

  2. "Peter" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I saved a number of photos to my CD-RW and when I attempted to copy
    > most of them to my hard drive I get an error message: "unable to copy
    > files: invalid ms-dos function." Other photos copied without any
    > problem. I also attempted renamed the photos and I got the message"
    > cannot rename filename : Files on this CD-ROM drive are read only. You
    > cannot copy or move files over to this CD-ROM drive". I checked the
    > properties (which revealed nothing unusual). I can not open those JPEG
    > pictures with image viewer either, all to no avail. Any help would be
    > appreciated.

    In Explorer, right-click on the image filename - in the popup menu
    left-click on "properties", then uncheck the file attribute that may be set
    to "read only"

    good luck

    Brian

    Brian Collingwood, Dec 23, 2003

  3. Peter

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Peter wrote:

    > I saved a number of photos to my CD-RW and when I attempted to copy
    > most of them to my hard drive I get an error message: "unable to copy
    > files: invalid ms-dos function." Other photos copied without any
    > problem. I also attempted renamed the photos and I got the message"
    > cannot rename filename : Files on this CD-ROM drive are read only. You
    > cannot copy or move files over to this CD-ROM drive". I checked the
    > properties (which revealed nothing unusual). I can not open those JPEG
    > pictures with image viewer either, all to no avail. Any help would be
    > appreciated.

    There's a group for stuff like this

    alt.comp.periphs.cdr

    If you don't get a good answer here try there and good luck

    --
    Paul.
    to look at

    Paul Heslop, Dec 23, 2003
  4. Peter

    Cambium Guest

    You won't be able to rename files on your CD. They will
    remain read-only because your computer cannot write to the
    CD after the CD has been 'closed'. I would suggest copying
    the whole CD to a directory in your hard drive. You might
    need some utility like Copy CD that you can download a demo
    version of from the internet. When the files are on your
    computer hard drive, you should be able to rename them or
    somehow get at the data.

    Good luck

    Cambium, Dec 24, 2003
  5. Didn't Peter say it was a CD-RW? - not a CD-R

    Why wouldn't he be able to write back to it? - if he formatted ut as a
    "data" disc.

    Brian

    Brian Collingwood, Dec 24, 2003
  6. Peter

    y_p_w Guest

    Brian Collingwood wrote:
    > Didn't Peter say it was a CD-RW? - not a CD-R
    >
    > Why wouldn't he be able to write back to it? - if he formatted ut as a
    > "data" disc.
    >
    > Brian

    CD-RW's are somewhat unreliable for stuff like DirectCD
    or the like. Does Roxio still support DirectCD? I
    remember my DirectCD disc almost crapping out. Reads
    were rather unreliable, but I was able to recover most
    of the stuff I was saving on a CD-RW.

    Second - the CD-RW might have been "closed" for further
    writes, in which case it would have to be erased before
    writing to it again.

    y_p_w, Dec 24, 2003
  7. "Brian Collingwood" <> wrote in message
    > Didn't Peter say it was a CD-RW? - not a CD-R
    >
    > Why wouldn't he be able to write back to it? - if he formatted ut as a
    > "data" disc.
    >
    > Brian

    It depends on the software. With the software I now have, I have to copy
    the folder that the file is in to my hrad drive, edit the file, then copy
    the folder back to the CD-RW. The software substitutes a whole folder, but
    not a single file in a folder.

    Marvin Margoshes, Dec 24, 2003
  8. "Marvin Margoshes" <> wrote in message

    > "Brian Collingwood" <> wrote in message
    > > Didn't Peter say it was a CD-RW? - not a CD-R
    > >
    > > Why wouldn't he be able to write back to it? - if he formatted ut as a
    > > "data" disc.
    > >
    > > Brian

    > It depends on the software. With the software I now have, I have to copy
    > the folder that the file is in to my hrad drive, edit the file, then copy
    > the folder back to the CD-RW. The software substitutes a whole folder,

    but
    > not a single file in a folder.

    Seems very strange to me. While I'm not a computer expert, when I format
    the CD-RW as a data disc I can read and write to it just like I can to any
    other drive - hard drive - floppy - etc.

    Any software on my machine treats the CD-RW in this way - as another drive.

    Brian

    Brian Collingwood, Dec 24, 2003