    walking in and spoiling my work? I want the highest quality images so I
    want to do it right.
    Thanks in advance!
    salgud, Aug 5, 2005

  2. salgud

    Frank ess Guest

    salgud wrote:
    > In preparing to buy my first digital camera, I've been looking into
    > digital darkroom. My main question is how to get my office dark
    > enough
    > to develop the digital images on my computer? Do I have to get
    > blackout shrouds for the windows and doors? Do I need to replace my
    > office lamp with a red bulb when I working on my pictures? What
    > about
    > one of those light trap doors for the office with a warning light
    > above to let people know I'm working in my digital darkroom and
    > prevent them from walking in and spoiling my work? I want the
    > highest
    > quality images so I want to do it right.
    > Thanks in advance!

    It's really a lot easier than all that. Just use the place your head
    was when you made this post. Plenty dark there.

    --
    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Aug 5, 2005

  3. "salgud" <> wrote in message
    > In preparing to buy my first digital camera, I've been looking into a
    > digital darkroom. My main question is how to get my office dark enough
    > to develop the digital images on my computer? Do I have to get blackout
    > shrouds for the windows and doors? Do I need to replace my office lamp
    > with a red bulb when I working on my pictures? What about one of those
    > light trap doors for the office with a warning light above to let
    > people know I'm working in my digital darkroom and prevent them from
    > walking in and spoiling my work? I want the highest quality images so I
    > want to do it right.
    > Thanks in advance!

    Bring you memory cards to Wal-Mart and have them developed there. That will
    save you a lot of hassle and expense and since Wal-Mart does just a good a
    job as anyone else you just can't loose. Besides the chemicals needed for
    digital photography are far more caustic then the old film chemicals.
    You're better off leaving it all to the minimum wagers at Wal-Mart.

    Good Luck.

    --

    Rob

    Robert R Kircher, Jr., Aug 5, 2005
  4. salgud

    wavelength Guest

    Dude,

    You have to be kidding right? This is a joke? Someone tell me he's
    joking...

    You need to get one of those dummies books if you're really that
    ignorant of the technology. Nothing to be ashamed of, but you need the
    principles of the thing before you go off buying stuff.
    wavelength, Aug 5, 2005
  5. "salgud" <> wrote in message
    > In preparing to buy my first digital camera, I've been looking into a
    > digital darkroom. My main question is how to get my office dark enough
    > to develop the digital images on my computer? Do I have to get blackout
    > shrouds for the windows and doors? Do I need to replace my office lamp
    > with a red bulb when I working on my pictures? What about one of those
    > light trap doors for the office with a warning light above to let
    > people know I'm working in my digital darkroom and prevent them from
    > walking in and spoiling my work? I want the highest quality images so I
    > want to do it right.

    OK, you should wait a few months. The new super-collider at CERN (Fermi Lab
    soon to follow) is expected to produce tiny black holes. And, guess what,
    they are going to market them! You put one of those babies in your digital
    darkroom and it will suck the light right out of your brain (and everything
    else).
    Charles Schuler, Aug 5, 2005
  6. salgud

    wilt Guest

    To darken your darkroom, fill it with Zeros....0000000000000. That is
    the absence of light in the digital realm.
    Be sure to allow for adequate ventilation, however. Zeroes in the
    Light field are what you want, but you do not want Zeroes in the Air
    field. Be sure the checksum value is 0 as well, or your digital
    enlarger will not function because the software will have crashed.
    Don't worry about shrouds...as long as each sector is filled with
    Zeroes, that is all that matters. Beware of using Run Length
    Encoding...you should not run in a darkroom. That would cause a
    harddrive to crash its heads and then you will have to clean things up.
    If you have an LED safelight, you need to make it pulse at precisely
    the right frequency and then you won't have to worry about exposing
    your paper. I forget the freqeuency, however, so ask your librarian.
    wilt, Aug 5, 2005
  7. salgud

    Pixby Guest

    salgud wrote:
    > In preparing to buy my first digital camera, I've been looking into a
    > digital darkroom. My main question is how to get my office dark enough
    > to develop the digital images on my computer? Do I have to get blackout
    > shrouds for the windows and doors? Do I need to replace my office lamp
    > with a red bulb when I working on my pictures? What about one of those
    > light trap doors for the office with a warning light above to let
    > people know I'm working in my digital darkroom and prevent them from
    > walking in and spoiling my work? I want the highest quality images so I
    > want to do it right.
    > Thanks in advance!

    Be very careful here. Red lights will attract all sorts of unwanted
    visitors and probably damage the (Adobe) Digital negatives which may
    well need a dark green light. They could also help pay for your lust.

    I definitely recommend blackout shrouds. These serve dual purposes of
    deterring debt collectors whilst allowing you go about processing your
    images on the computer you bought with a dud cheque.

    The revolving doors are pretty good investments for any digital
    darkroom. If you get the economy model with only one entry slot, you
    solve the problem of sticky beaks coming in to look over your shoulder
    very nicely. You might also consider an old London public phone box.

    To get the absolute highest quality images you will need also to buy (in
    addition to Adobe Photoshop) Capture 1 Professional, The entire Extensis
    image suite of programs and about 900 assorted plugins. Just to be on
    the safe side I'd go for about 180 custom actions too.

    Now before you go much further down the path of digital photography and
    a digital darkroom, you need to accurately cost your proposal. I've
    include a few items below which will help you get started. The revolving
    door should be considered a line of credit!

    Last year's Digital camera of the year (second hand) $500 down from $6000
    Adobe Creative Suite (go for the lot, why just one?) $1980
    A plastic crap lens for the camera (off Ebay) $75
    The Extensis suite of software $1250
    Fred Miranda's 'actions" (a bit like a subscription to a web site) $500
    The world's most wanted plugins for Photoshop $675
    A dual processor PC with 5 gig of RAM and 4 Terabytes of storage $5000
    Apple's Cinema monitor - the only way to go, $5000 too but what the
    hell, it's a top monitor. I couldn't do without mine!
    And then there's the r 2400 Epson printer. $1950 What a top printer this
    one is. Absolutely brilliant prints. almost as nice to look at as I get
    from my 2 year old HP Designjet but I can touch these with damp hands
    and some joker paid by Epson to guess life expectancy says the prints
    will last 200 years!

    Why do I need a $20 calculator to add up all the costs when I have a
    $10,000 computer in front of me? because it's easier to use! Found it...
    Give or take an Aussie buck or two, 17 grand ought to get you started.

    Of course subscribing to this group for help will probably result in you
    needing to buy about $12,000 worth of Canon lenses - Oh... Didn't I
    mention the brand of the camera winning "camera of the(last)year"?

    Oh my God... How do you switch the bloody thing on! Batteries? What
    batteries?
    Arr Shit! What the f&@* is flash card?
    Do these things come with instructions or just stupid abbreviations no
    one understands?
    What's the tulip on here for? Hell man, my Pentax didn't have any of
    this crap on it! The TV screen doesn't work either. My Casio is better
    than this.

    --
    Douglas,
    You never really make it on the 'net
    Pixby, Aug 6, 2005
  8. salgud

    wavelength Guest

    Classic.
    wavelength, Aug 6, 2005
  9. salgud

    Frank ess Guest

    wavelength wrote:
    > Classic.

    Thank you.
    Frank ess, Aug 6, 2005
  10. > In preparing to buy my first digital camera, I've been looking into a
    > digital darkroom. My main question is how to get my office dark enough
    > to develop the digital images on my computer? Do I have to get blackout
    > shrouds for the windows and doors? Do I need to replace my office lamp
    > with a red bulb when I working on my pictures? What about one of those
    > light trap doors for the office with a warning light above to let
    > people know I'm working in my digital darkroom and prevent them from
    > walking in and spoiling my work? I want the highest quality images so I
    > want to do it right.
    > Thanks in advance!

    Dude, you need some basic physics about light and darkness.

    http://www.math.buffalo.edu/~sww/ZAP/

    --Mike Jacoubowsky
    Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReaction.com
    Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA
    Mike Jacoubowsky, Aug 6, 2005
  11. salgud

    wilt Guest

    >Dude, you need some basic physics about light and darkness.
    >http://www.math.buffalo.edu/~sww/ZAP/

    I am finally enlightenend (endarkened)...the reason why Kodak and Agfa
    are in such a deep problem with their businesses is that they have
    filled up with DARK to the point they cannot function!

    --Wilt
    wilt, Aug 6, 2005
  12. salgud

    Tony Guest

    Actually you don't need to darken the room at all - just shut your eyes,
    real tight!

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony, Aug 6, 2005
  13. salgud

    Wayne Guest

    In article <yeVIe.79546$>,
    says...

    > Actually you don't need to darken the room at all - just shut your eyes,
    >real tight!

    We cant work that way... Just turn the monitor off instead.
    Wayne, Aug 6, 2005
  14. salgud

    Guest

    You should wait until they shake the bugs out of those digicams. Any
    day now.
    , Aug 6, 2005
  15. salgud

    George Kerby Guest

    NAW! Too much trouble. Go here
    http://www.microfrontier.com/products/digital_darkroom10/index.html
    I mean you can afford forty bucks, right?!?

    On 8/5/05 4:30 PM, in article
    , "salgud"

    George Kerby, Aug 6, 2005
  16. salgud

    irwell Guest

    On 5 Aug 2005 14:30:53 -0700, "salgud" <> wrote:

    >In preparing to buy my first digital camera, I've been looking into a
    >digital darkroom. My main question is how to get my office dark enough
    >to develop the digital images on my computer? Do I have to get blackout
    >shrouds for the windows and doors? Do I need to replace my office lamp
    >with a red bulb when I working on my pictures? What about one of those
    >light trap doors for the office with a warning light above to let
    >people know I'm working in my digital darkroom and prevent them from
    >walking in and spoiling my work? I want the highest quality images so I
    >want to do it right.
    >Thanks in advance!

    Use the fridge, clear out all the foodstuff when you are in
    there, it will be OK for a few hours, replace the little bulb
    with a red one. Because you will be working with digital
    you will need to access your toes as well as your fingers.
    irwell, Aug 6, 2005
  17. salgud

    Sal Guest

    Consider leaving the computer monitor dark/off, and keep the computer
    turned off (LEDs casting light). Whatever you decide, don't open your
    digital camera before the CF is completely filled because it will ruin
    all the pictures. YW

    Sal, Aug 6, 2005
  18. salgud

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 03:36:33 GMT, Wayne <> wrote:

    >In article <yeVIe.79546$>,
    > says...
    >>

    >> Actually you don't need to darken the room at all - just shut your eyes,
    >>real tight!

    >We cant work that way... Just turn the monitor off instead.

    Aww, RATS! you beat me to it! :-(

    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Aug 6, 2005
  19. Bill Funk <> wrote:
    : On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 03:36:33 GMT, Wayne <> wrote:

    : >In article <yeVIe.79546$>,
    : > says...
    : >>
    : >> Actually you don't need to darken the room at all - just shut your eyes,
    : >>real tight!
    : >
    : >We cant work that way... Just turn the monitor off instead.

    : Aww, RATS! you beat me to it! :-(

    How about turning the brightness down on the monitor? :) And if you play
    with the Tone or Hue you could probably get it to display the proper
    "safelight red".

    Randy

    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL
    Randy Berbaum, Aug 7, 2005
  20. salgud

    salgud Guest

    I"m really impressed! Some great replies here! I really enjoyed reading
    them.
    salgud, Aug 7, 2005