    aj Guest

    is there a good quality digital compact camera with fixed or zoom lens,
    manual control as well as auto & a good quality lens?
    aj, Oct 12, 2006

  2. aj

    bugbear Guest

    aj wrote:
    > is there a good quality digital compact camera with fixed or zoom lens,
    > manual control as well as auto & a good quality lens?

    Er. Yes. Lots.

    Can you be more specific in your requirements,
    perhaps defining your understanding of your two
    uses of "good"?

    BugBear
    bugbear, Oct 12, 2006

  3. aj

    sally Guest

    In article <452deae0$>,
    aj <> wrote:
    >is there a good quality digital compact camera with fixed or zoom lens,
    >manual control as well as auto & a good quality lens?

    Depends a lot on how compact you need, how much manual control you need,
    and how good a lens you need.
    sally, Oct 12, 2006
  4. aj

    Alan Meyer Guest

    aj wrote:
    > is there a good quality digital compact camera with fixed or zoom lens,
    > manual control as well as auto & a good quality lens?

    There are tons of them.

    Have a look at
    http://www.steves-digicams.com
    or
    http://www.dpreview.com

    for good reviews and suggestions. There are other good sites too.

    Alan
    Alan Meyer, Oct 12, 2006
  5. aj

    jeremy Guest

    "sally" <> wrote in message
    > In article <452deae0$>,
    > aj <> wrote:
    >>is there a good quality digital compact camera with fixed or zoom lens,
    >>manual control as well as auto & a good quality lens?

    > Depends a lot on how compact you need, how much manual control you need,
    > and how good a lens you need.

    Well, their smaller chip sizes are prone to have more digital noise than you
    would get on a DSLR, so that might be a limiting factor. From what I've
    read, the noise problem appears to get worse once the camera's megapixel
    count goes above about 5 MP. Too many pixels crammed on too small a chip.

    I use Paint Shop Pro Photo XI (www.corel.com) and it has a very nice
    one-step click to remove digital noise. Also a nice one-click feature to
    fix your photos, without having to make a lot of tedious adjustments. Great
    for beginners, and the program has a full range of adjustments that you can
    use as your skills improve, so it grows with you. That's the solution that
    I employ to counteract digital camera noise.
    jeremy, Oct 13, 2006