    So far one i do like the is the canon S3 IS - but its getting a bit
    pricey, But if nothing better comes along it could be the one

    Does anyone have any other suggestions?

    Andrew Lambert, Dec 17, 2006

  2. Make sure that whatever camera you buy allows you to connect your
    computer directly to the image card. That is, when the camera is
    attached via the USB cable it comes up in your file manager just like
    a HD would.

    There are still quite a number of cameras on the market that
    still require you to use the bundled software to access you images
    unless you have a card reader.

    Direct access allows you t6o use the image processing software of
    your choice, rather than the barely adequate bundled software or
    Microsoft's equally inadequate offering.

    lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz, Dec 17, 2006

  3. Andrew Lambert

    whome Guest

    "Andrew Lambert" <> wrote in message
    > Im looking for a new camera
    > Nothing flash, point n shoot type (im no pro)
    >
    > Current camera is a canon A70, i liked it till it broke... the lcd is
    > flickering and now the photos sometimes have big grey lines through them
    >
    > I want something that has a decent optical zoom with image stabilizing.
    > Something that has a bit of manual features (adjusting shutter speed
    > etc) - just so i can play around, but ultimately good automatic settings
    >
    > My last two canon products have broken within 2 years with a "common
    > fault" so im unsure about canon..
    >
    > ive looked at the panasonic DMC-ZT1 i like the features, but it doesnt
    > have any manual settings at all
    > Also looked at the olympus SP 500 - But that doesnt have any image
    > stabilization
    >
    > So far one i do like the is the canon S3 IS - but its getting a bit
    > pricey, But if nothing better comes along it could be the one
    >
    > Does anyone have any other suggestions?

    Look at sony too.

    I've got the dsc-p100 which is great, but the dsc-p200 has replaced it so i
    guess that is even better.

    I even accidentally dropped it on a concrete floor a few months ago and
    after a couple of shakes it was fine. Pretty remarkeable considering they
    are precision instruments.

    whome, Dec 17, 2006
  4. Andrew Lambert

    Charles Foot Guest

    Andrew Lambert wrote:
    > Im looking for a new camera
    > Nothing flash, point n shoot type (im no pro)
    >
    > Current camera is a canon A70, i liked it till it broke... the lcd is
    > flickering and now the photos sometimes have big grey lines through them
    >
    > I want something that has a decent optical zoom with image stabilizing.
    > Something that has a bit of manual features (adjusting shutter speed
    > etc) - just so i can play around, but ultimately good automatic settings
    >
    > My last two canon products have broken within 2 years with a "common
    > fault" so im unsure about canon..
    >
    > ive looked at the panasonic DMC-ZT1 i like the features, but it doesnt
    > have any manual settings at all
    > Also looked at the olympus SP 500 - But that doesnt have any image
    > stabilization
    >
    > So far one i do like the is the canon S3 IS - but its getting a bit
    > pricey, But if nothing better comes along it could be the one
    >
    > Does anyone have any other suggestions?

    If you can find a Fujifilm Finepix S5000 anywhere, grab it! 6.3 Mpx, 10X
    optical zoom plus 2.2X digital, heaps of good features (auto and
    manual). Should be able to find one cheap as it's since been superceded
    by the S5500 which is a cut-down version of the S5000.

    Charles Foot, Dec 17, 2006
  5. lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:
    > Make sure that whatever camera you buy allows you to connect your
    > computer directly to the image card. That is, when the camera is
    > attached via the USB cable it comes up in your file manager just like
    > a HD would.
    >
    > There are still quite a number of cameras on the market that
    > still require you to use the bundled software to access you images
    > unless you have a card reader.
    >
    > Direct access allows you t6o use the image processing software of
    > your choice, rather than the barely adequate bundled software or
    > Microsoft's equally inadequate offering.

    Good point, My previous canon was good, it came up as like a removable
    drive. The process was automated. Plug camera in. Photos automatically
    copy to the correct location.

    I dont typically use bundled software, however the canon software does
    have some pretty cool features. Easy stictching (drag all the photos in,
    Press stitch and it automatically joins them

    Andrew Lambert, Dec 17, 2006
  6. Andrew Lambert

    Zipper Guest

    Andrew Lambert wrote:
    > Im looking for a new camera
    > Nothing flash, point n shoot type (im no pro)
    >
    > Current camera is a canon A70, i liked it till it broke... the lcd is
    > flickering and now the photos sometimes have big grey lines through them

    That is interesting, my first digital camera was an a70 also. A great
    camera but mine "died" with exactly the same problem you are having.
    The screen flickered lots, sometimes would even just go blank and if i
    took movies it would have all the flickering through it, but usually
    9/10 photos would be ok, some would have lines through it.

    > I want something that has a decent optical zoom with image stabilizing.
    > Something that has a bit of manual features (adjusting shutter speed
    > etc) - just so i can play around, but ultimately good automatic settings
    >
    > My last two canon products have broken within 2 years with a "common
    > fault" so im unsure about canon..
    >
    > ive looked at the panasonic DMC-ZT1 i like the features, but it doesnt
    > have any manual settings at all
    > Also looked at the olympus SP 500 - But that doesnt have any image
    > stabilization
    >
    > So far one i do like the is the canon S3 IS - but its getting a bit
    > pricey, But if nothing better comes along it could be the one

    I bought the s2is about a year ago before the s3 came along, it has been
    a great camera and the s3 should be pretty awesome based on that, but
    you could probably pick up a s2 very cheaply now also.

    Zipper, Dec 17, 2006
  7. Andrew Lambert

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Zipper wrote:
    > Andrew Lambert wrote:
    > > Im looking for a new camera
    > > Nothing flash, point n shoot type (im no pro)
    > >
    > > Current camera is a canon A70, i liked it till it broke... the lcd
    > > is flickering and now the photos sometimes have big grey lines
    > > through them

    > That is interesting, my first digital camera was an a70 also. A great
    > camera but mine "died" with exactly the same problem you are having.
    > The screen flickered lots, sometimes would even just go blank and if i
    > took movies it would have all the flickering through it, but usually
    > 9/10 photos would be ok, some would have lines through it.

    Ok, this is worrying me now. I have an A70 and am very pleased with it. It's
    been working perfectly. However, I've just replaced a DVD recorder that
    died, my fridge/freezer and I "bought" a new lawnmower a few months back and
    my credit is maxed ATM. I seriously hope that my A70 doesn't go the way of
    these two. I've been really pleased with the camera to date and am hoping to
    get a few more years out of it.

    <fingers crossed>

    Shaun.

    P.S. Isn't that fault covered by an acknowledged problem and Canon will
    reapair/replace even if out of warranty? I'll give ya $10 each for them. <g>

    http://www.dcresource.com/news/newsitem.php?id=3175
    http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/digital-cameras/canon-powershot-a70_reviews.html
    (On right side of page)
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Dec 17, 2006
  8. Andrew Lambert

    Zipper Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Zipper wrote:
    >> Andrew Lambert wrote:
    >>> Im looking for a new camera
    >>> Nothing flash, point n shoot type (im no pro)
    >>>
    >>> Current camera is a canon A70, i liked it till it broke... the lcd
    >>> is flickering and now the photos sometimes have big grey lines
    >>> through them

    >> That is interesting, my first digital camera was an a70 also. A great
    >> camera but mine "died" with exactly the same problem you are having.
    >> The screen flickered lots, sometimes would even just go blank and if i
    >> took movies it would have all the flickering through it, but usually
    >> 9/10 photos would be ok, some would have lines through it.

    > Ok, this is worrying me now. I have an A70 and am very pleased with it. It's
    > been working perfectly. However, I've just replaced a DVD recorder that
    > died, my fridge/freezer and I "bought" a new lawnmower a few months back and
    > my credit is maxed ATM. I seriously hope that my A70 doesn't go the way of
    > these two. I've been really pleased with the camera to date and am hoping to
    > get a few more years out of it.
    >
    > <fingers crossed>
    >
    > Shaun.
    >
    > P.S. Isn't that fault covered by an acknowledged problem and Canon will
    > reapair/replace even if out of warranty? I'll give ya $10 each for them. <g>

    Thanks I will chase it up. I just didn't even think about getting it
    repaired as assumed it would be more expensive to repair the camera than
    to buy a new one but will definitely contact canon nz now.

    Seems it is a common fault though with that model and the tapping of the
    camera does temporarily fix mine.

    Zipper, Dec 17, 2006
  9. Andrew Lambert

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Charles Foot wrote:
    > Andrew Lambert wrote:
    >> Im looking for a new camera
    >> Nothing flash, point n shoot type (im no pro)
    >>
    >> Current camera is a canon A70, i liked it till it broke... the lcd is
    >> flickering and now the photos sometimes have big grey lines through them
    >>
    >> I want something that has a decent optical zoom with image
    >> stabilizing. Something that has a bit of manual features (adjusting
    >> shutter speed etc) - just so i can play around, but ultimately good
    >> automatic settings
    >>
    >> My last two canon products have broken within 2 years with a "common
    >> fault" so im unsure about canon..
    >>
    >> ive looked at the panasonic DMC-ZT1 i like the features, but it doesnt
    >> have any manual settings at all
    >> Also looked at the olympus SP 500 - But that doesnt have any image
    >> stabilization
    >>
    >> So far one i do like the is the canon S3 IS - but its getting a bit
    >> pricey, But if nothing better comes along it could be the one
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any other suggestions?

    > If you can find a Fujifilm Finepix S5000 anywhere, grab it! 6.3 Mpx, 10X
    > optical zoom plus 2.2X digital, heaps of good features (auto and
    > manual). Should be able to find one cheap as it's since been superceded
    > by the S5500 which is a cut-down version of the S5000.

    If you do find one of these, run like hell. Maybe you mean some other
    model, AFAIK the S5000 was released mid 2003, has 3.1Mpx sensor (it
    extrapolates to 6Mpx - how utterly pointless), no IS. It really is old
    technology. It dates from a time when megapixels and zoom were the
    features people judged cameras by; we've moved on from that.

    I also had the misfortune to use a S5500 over a couple of weeks last
    year; absolutely appalling startup time and the shutter lag makes the
    camera almost unusable. At full zoom you really do need IS. Handling was
    not good.

    I've just experienced Fujifilm's appalling service department, too.
    After a couple of months of being stuffed around, I eventually wrote a
    nice email to the MD of Fujifilm in NZ, and got the matter resolved
    within hours, but that should not have been necessary for a pretty
    standard repair.

    (They eventually replaced a 2.5 year old F420 with a F30 and I'm really
    pleased with the outcome - camera tech has really moved along in that
    time - huge displays, awesome battery life, low noise and high
    sensitivity) The F30 really is a very nice little camera, with a large
    degree of user control (aperture and shutter priority etc), but not in
    the zoom range the OP is after.

    I'd probably (despite my experiences) still consider a Fujifilm compact
    or subcompact, (and pray it didn't break) but I'd stay away from their
    zoom cameras.

    Worth considering a Panasonic FZ3, 5 or 10 - they are all pretty cheap
    if still available, and they have quite good handling, IS, reasonable
    menu system and a degree of control.

    I've got a LZ1, which has 4Mpx, 6x zoom, IS etc and it is OK, but
    doesn't feel the same quality as the Finepix. (But hey, it only cost
    ~$200 new).

    -=rjh=-, Dec 18, 2006
  10. Andrew Lambert

    frederick Guest

    Zipper wrote:

    > Seems it is a common fault though with that model and the tapping of the
    > camera does temporarily fix mine.

    From Canon US Website - perhaps you should contact the retailer that
    you bought it from, or Canon NZ.

    Service Notice: CCD Image Sensor Advisory (Updated Oct.31, 2006)

    PowerShot A70
    PowerShot A70

    This Service Notice will update Canon U.S.A., Inc.'s previous CCD Image
    Sensor Advisory, dated October 6, 2005.

    It has come to our attention that the vendor-supplied CCD image sensor
    used in certain Canon digital cameras and digital video camcorders may
    cause the following malfunction: When the product is used in recording
    or playback mode, the LCD screen and/or electronic viewfinder may
    exhibit either a distorted image or no image at all. While reports of
    this malfunction have been rare in the United States, we have determined
    that it may occur if the product is exposed to hot and humid environments.

    Notice of Additional Affected Products:
    As a result of our continuing investigation of this malfunction, we have
    determined that the 11 models listed below, in addition to the 16 models
    listed in our Service Notice concerning this malfunction, dated October
    6, 2005, may be affected.

    Affected products:

    - Camcorders: ZR60, ZR65 MC, ZR70 MC, ZR80, ZR85, ZR90, ELURA 40 MC,
    ELURA 50
    - Digital Cameras A60, A70, A75, A300, A310, S230, SD100, SD110, A40(*),
    A80(*), A85(*), A95(*), S1 IS(*), S60(*), S200(*), S330(*), S400(*),
    S410(*), S500(*)

    *Models added as of Oct.31, 2006

    Malfunction:
    It has been confirmed that the connecting parts of the internal wiring
    of the CCD used in affected products may become disconnected, especially
    if the affected products are stored or used in high-temperature and
    high-humidity environments. If this occurs, the signal is not output
    from the CCD normally in Shooting Mode, which may cause a distorted
    image or the absence of an image. This malfunction can be confirmed on
    the LCD monitor screen during shooting. The same malfunction also
    appears on the recorded image.

    Canon's Response:
    Effective immediately, and regardless of warranty status, Canon will
    repair, free of charge, the products listed above exhibiting the
    above-mentioned malfunction if Canon determines that the malfunction is
    caused by the CCD image sensor. Canon will also cover the cost of
    shipping and handling in connection with this repair.

    U.S. residents are kindly directed to contact the Canon Customer Support
    Center for further assistance at 1-800-828-4040. Support hours are
    Monday thru Friday - 8:00 AM to 12:00 midnight; and Saturday 10:00 AM to
    8:00 PM (all times EST). Alternatively, if electronic support is
    preferred, please send your email to

    This information is for residents of the United States of America and
    Puerto Rico only. If you do not reside in the USA or Puerto Rico, please
    contact the Canon Customer Support Center in your region.

    We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused by this issue, and
    appreciate your understanding in this matter. Thank you for your support
    and patronage of Canon product

    frederick, Dec 18, 2006
  11. Andrew Lambert

    frederick Guest

    Andrew Lambert wrote:
    > Im looking for a new camera
    > Nothing flash, point n shoot type (im no pro)
    >
    > Current camera is a canon A70, i liked it till it broke... the lcd is
    > flickering and now the photos sometimes have big grey lines through them
    >
    > I want something that has a decent optical zoom with image stabilizing.
    > Something that has a bit of manual features (adjusting shutter speed
    > etc) - just so i can play around, but ultimately good automatic settings
    >
    > My last two canon products have broken within 2 years with a "common
    > fault" so im unsure about canon..
    >
    > ive looked at the panasonic DMC-ZT1 i like the features, but it doesnt
    > have any manual settings at all
    > Also looked at the olympus SP 500 - But that doesnt have any image
    > stabilization
    >
    > So far one i do like the is the canon S3 IS - but its getting a bit
    > pricey, But if nothing better comes along it could be the one
    >
    > Does anyone have any other suggestions?

    I posted this further down the thread - sorry for double-posting the
    same information, but it's probably important for you.

    frederick, Dec 18, 2006
  12. Andrew Lambert

    MarkH Guest

    Andrew Lambert <> wrote in news:em4ej0$c55$:

    > Im looking for a new camera
    > Nothing flash, point n shoot type (im no pro)
    >
    > I want something that has a decent optical zoom with image stabilizing.
    > Something that has a bit of manual features (adjusting shutter speed
    > etc) - just so i can play around, but ultimately good automatic settings
    >
    > My last two canon products have broken within 2 years with a "common
    > fault" so im unsure about canon..
    >
    > ive looked at the panasonic DMC-ZT1 i like the features, but it doesnt
    > have any manual settings at all
    > Also looked at the olympus SP 500 - But that doesnt have any image
    > stabilization
    >
    > So far one i do like the is the canon S3 IS - but its getting a bit
    > pricey, But if nothing better comes along it could be the one
    >
    > Does anyone have any other suggestions?

    My flatmate wanted a nice little camera for taking a few snaps, but wanted
    a reasonable zoom. I looked at what was available and checked some reviews
    and suggested the Panasonic LZ-5 for the 6MPix, 6x optical zoom and optical
    stabiliser. This cost about $380 and seems pretty nice for the price.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 23-Nov-06)

    MarkH, Dec 18, 2006
  13. Andrew Lambert

    Chris Lim Guest

    frederick wrote:
    > I posted this further down the thread - sorry for double-posting the
    > same information, but it's probably important for you.
    >
    > Service Notice: CCD Image Sensor Advisory (Updated Oct.31, 2006)
    >
    > PowerShot A70
    > PowerShot A70
    >
    > This Service Notice will update Canon U.S.A., Inc.'s previous CCD Image
    > Sensor Advisory, dated October 6, 2005.

    It's also available on their NZ site:

    http://www.canon.co.nz/support/cust...ticleForm&File=KB01634&productID=powershota80

    Chris Lim, Dec 18, 2006
  14. Andrew Lambert

    frederick Guest

    Chris Lim wrote:
    > frederick wrote:
    >> I posted this further down the thread - sorry for double-posting the
    >> same information, but it's probably important for you.
    >>
    >> Service Notice: CCD Image Sensor Advisory (Updated Oct.31, 2006)
    >>
    >> PowerShot A70
    >> PowerShot A70
    >>
    >> This Service Notice will update Canon U.S.A., Inc.'s previous CCD Image
    >> Sensor Advisory, dated October 6, 2005.

    > It's also available on their NZ site:
    >
    > http://www.canon.co.nz/support/cust...ticleForm&File=KB01634&productID=powershota80

    It is too.
    Perhaps it just me with such a low opinion of local agents that I
    assumed Canon NZ would be quiet on it - so didn't even look.
    Good on them.

    frederick, Dec 18, 2006
  15. In message <em4ej0$c55$>, Andrew Lambert
    <> wrote:

    >ive looked at the panasonic DMC-ZT1 i like the features, but it doesnt
    >have any manual settings at all

    TZ1 has the biggest zoom of any compact camera I'm aware of.

    >Also looked at the olympus SP 500 - But that doesnt have any image
    >stabilization

    Not a fan.

    >So far one i do like the is the canon S3 IS - but its getting a bit
    >pricey, But if nothing better comes along it could be the one

    S3IS has manual focus, but it's clunky to use IME - buttons aren't
    good for focus. Panasonic FZ7 (and the older FZ5) are similar but
    lack manual focus. Sony DSC-H2 and -H5 are similar too, and I think
    they do have MF.

    >Does anyone have any other suggestions?

    Canon A710IS? 7MP, 6xOZ and the best macro I've seen. As long as
    there's light on the subject, it'll focus on things pretty much
    touching the lens. Not much cheaper than the S3 though. The previous
    model, A700, didn't have IS, IIRC.

    If you can get your hands on a Panasonic FZ30 that may suit you. 8MP,
    12xOZ, IS, manual focus on a lens ring, threaded for filters, flash
    shoe. It's bulky though - big long nose, and no longer produced.

    R. G. 'Stumpy' Marsh, Dec 18, 2006
  16. Andrew Lambert

    ~misfit~ Guest

    frederick wrote:
    > Andrew Lambert wrote:
    > > Im looking for a new camera
    > > Nothing flash, point n shoot type (im no pro)
    > >
    > > Current camera is a canon A70, i liked it till it broke... the lcd
    > > is flickering and now the photos sometimes have big grey lines
    > > through them I want something that has a decent optical zoom with image
    > > stabilizing. Something that has a bit of manual features (adjusting
    > > shutter speed etc) - just so i can play around, but ultimately good
    > > automatic settings My last two canon products have broken within 2
    > > years with a
    > > "common fault" so im unsure about canon..
    > >
    > > ive looked at the panasonic DMC-ZT1 i like the features, but it
    > > doesnt have any manual settings at all
    > > Also looked at the olympus SP 500 - But that doesnt have any image
    > > stabilization
    > >
    > > So far one i do like the is the canon S3 IS - but its getting a bit
    > > pricey, But if nothing better comes along it could be the one
    > >
    > > Does anyone have any other suggestions?

    > I posted this further down the thread - sorry for double-posting the
    > same information, but it's probably important for you.

    <snip>

    Nice of you to point that out several times frederick. Could help people.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Dec 18, 2006
  17. Andrew Lambert

    Zipper Guest

    frederick wrote:
> [...]

    > above-mentioned malfunction if Canon determines that the malfunction is
    > caused by the CCD image sensor. Canon will also cover the cost of
    > shipping and handling in connection with this repair.
    >
    > U.S. residents are kindly directed to contact the Canon Customer Support
    > Center for further assistance at 1-800-828-4040. Support hours are
    > Monday thru Friday - 8:00 AM to 12:00 midnight; and Saturday 10:00 AM to
    > 8:00 PM (all times EST). Alternatively, if electronic support is
    > preferred, please send your email to
    >
    > This information is for residents of the United States of America and
    > Puerto Rico only. If you do not reside in the USA or Puerto Rico, please
    > contact the Canon Customer Support Center in your region.
    >
    > We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused by this issue, and
    > appreciate your understanding in this matter. Thank you for your support

    Thanks for the info, will definitely be getting in touch with Canon NZ.

    Zipper, Dec 18, 2006
  18. Andrew Lambert

    steve Guest

    Andrew Lambert wrote:

    > Does anyone have any other suggestions?

    I went with one of models recommended by Consumer magazine, the SONY
    DSC-HS5.

    Excellent camera. $999 + $167 for a 1GB Memory Stick Pro.

    7 mega pixels. Can film video at standard 640x480 resolution for up to 45
    minutes with the 1GB chip. Meant I didn't also have to buy a digital video
    camera.

    Videos are in standard mpeg-1 format......no DRM, no proprietary codecs.

    --
    Only boring people are bored.

    steve, Dec 22, 2006
  19. Andrew Lambert

    steve Guest

    steve wrote:

    > Andrew Lambert wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone have any other suggestions?

    > I went with one of models recommended by Consumer magazine, the SONY
    > DSC-HS5.
    >
    > Excellent camera. $999 + $167 for a 1GB Memory Stick Pro.
    >
    > 7 mega pixels. Can film video at standard 640x480 resolution for up to 45
    > minutes with the 1GB chip. Meant I didn't also have to buy a digital video
    > camera.
    >
    > Videos are in standard mpeg-1 format......no DRM, no proprietary codecs.

    Oh...and works perfectly with Linux provided you have a kernel that is at
    least 2.6.18 or later. (Xandros 4.1 Professional, for example).

    --
    Only boring people are bored.

    steve, Dec 22, 2006