Digital cameras

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Andrew, Aug 11, 2003.

  1. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Im looking to buy a new digital camera to replaced the age old Agfa digital
    i bought 5 years ago...

    Im not a photo expert or anything, but do still want something decent that
    will last..
    My requirements are Optical zoom, probably 3x - I dont care about digital
    zoom
    The camera is not going to be used for images online so i think 2 mega pixel
    might not be enough, probably needs about 3
    Price range... $700 odd retail

    Currently choosing between:
    Canon A60 (2 mp, 3x optical)
    Canon A70 (3 mp, 3x optical, 100 more then the A60)
    Fuji Finpix A310 - dont know a large amount about this one yet, its just
    been suggested to me as it is well priced)

    does anyone care to give any suggestions on whats good and bad? - open to
    different brands/models

    Cheers
    Andrew
    Andrew, Aug 11, 2003

  2. Andrew

    art Guest

    On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 13:54:35 +1200, "Andrew" <>
    wrote:

    >Im looking to buy a new digital camera to replaced the age old Agfa digital
    >i bought 5 years ago...
    >
    >Im not a photo expert or anything, but do still want something decent that
    >will last..
    >My requirements are Optical zoom, probably 3x - I dont care about digital
    >zoom
    >The camera is not going to be used for images online so i think 2 mega pixel
    >might not be enough, probably needs about 3
    >Price range... $700 odd retail
    >
    >Currently choosing between:
    >Canon A60 (2 mp, 3x optical)
    >Canon A70 (3 mp, 3x optical, 100 more then the A60)
    >Fuji Finpix A310 - dont know a large amount about this one yet, its just
    >been suggested to me as it is well priced)
    >
    >does anyone care to give any suggestions on whats good and bad? - open to
    >different brands/models
    >
    >Cheers
    >Andrew

    Go to dpreview.com, it is full of people with the same questions.
    Probably the best digi cam community site out there
    art, Aug 11, 2003

  3. Andrew

    colinco Guest

    In article <jGCZa.10585$>, Andrew wrote...
    > Price range... $700 odd retail
    >
    > Currently choosing between:
    > Canon A60 (2 mp, 3x optical)
    > Canon A70 (3 mp, 3x optical, 100 more then the A60)
    > Fuji Finpix A310 - dont know a large amount about this one yet, its just
    > been suggested to me as it is well priced)
    >
    > does anyone care to give any suggestions on whats good and bad? - open to
    > different brands/models

    The Canon A70 is about $710 retail now. Buy something else only if you
    are sure it is better.
    colinco, Aug 11, 2003
  4. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    $710 - thats cheap, where from?

    The other camera i discovered today that looks good is the Panasonic LC40 -
    DSE have them at the moment from $1100 down to $900
    Ok its above my pricerange, but its apparently got a good lens - better then
    the Nikon and the Canon

    Andrew, Aug 11, 2003
  5. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Cheers, i will take a look at that today

    Andrew, Aug 11, 2003
  6. On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 13:54:35 +1200, "Andrew" <>
    wrote:

    >Im looking to buy a new digital camera to replaced the age old Agfa digital
    >i bought 5 years ago...

    You cant go wrong with canon, check out the S50 or S45
    I belive you guys in Auckalnd have a parallel importer offering some
    cool pricings
    John Hornblow, Aug 11, 2003
  7. Andrew

    colinco Guest

    In article <UzFZa.10627$>, Andrew wrote...

    Canon must have had a price drop. www.photo.co.nz or Ascent :)

    > The other camera i discovered today that looks good is the Panasonic LC40 -
    > DSE have them at the moment from $1100 down to $900
    > Ok its above my pricerange, but its apparently got a good lens - better then
    > the Nikon and the Canon

    The lens is the only good bit, it still has to be focussed and the image
    saved. Panasonic so far is slower at those things than "camera"
    manufacturers.

    The only real drawback to the A70 is that you need some NiMh AAs and a
    charger.You'll need a bigger CF card with anything. $$$$$
    colinco, Aug 11, 2003
  8. Andrew

    Chris Guest

    Andrew wrote:

    > Im looking to buy a new digital camera to replaced the age old Agfa
    > digital i bought 5 years ago...
    >
    > Im not a photo expert or anything, but do still want something decent that
    > will last..
    > My requirements are Optical zoom, probably 3x - I dont care about digital
    > zoom
    > The camera is not going to be used for images online so i think 2 mega
    > pixel might not be enough, probably needs about 3
    > Price range... $700 odd retail
    >
    > Currently choosing between:
    > Canon A60 (2 mp, 3x optical)
    > Canon A70 (3 mp, 3x optical, 100 more then the A60)
    > Fuji Finpix A310 - dont know a large amount about this one yet, its just
    > been suggested to me as it is well priced)
    >
    > does anyone care to give any suggestions on whats good and bad? - open to
    > different brands/models
    >
    > Cheers
    > Andrew

    I just bought a Samsung Digimax v4 and it's way cool. A little pricier than
    you may be looking for at around $900 but it will come down for sure. Top
    quality lens and super easy to use.

    3x optical & 4x Digital zoom. Can use a variety of different power sources,
    even has a car charger.

    Also comes with a 32 MB SD card (Wellington Photographics threw in a free 64
    MB card, and I got to keep the 32 MB card as well).

    I'm very happy with it.

    Chris.
    Chris, Aug 11, 2003
  9. Andrew

    art Guest

    On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 07:29:02 GMT, (John Hornblow)
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 13:54:35 +1200, "Andrew" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Im looking to buy a new digital camera to replaced the age old Agfa digital
    >>i bought 5 years ago...
    >>

    >You cant go wrong with canon, check out the S50 or S45
    >I belive you guys in Auckalnd have a parallel importer offering some
    >cool pricings

    Except when it breaks or develops dead pixels. The Parallel imported
    prices aren't too much lower than NZ prices (if you know where to shop
    and don't buy from DSE or similar stores), and I would rather have a
    NZ warranty. My local DSE shop are still selling the Canon G2 for
    $1999! Only a year out of date!
    art, Aug 11, 2003
  10. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    I couldnt get to that site, mighta be down, do you know if they are parallel
    importers? - i would rather avoid them type

    Andrew, Aug 11, 2003
  11. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Cheers for the insite - its above my budget anyhow :)

    Andrew, Aug 11, 2003
  12. Andrew

    Disco Stu Guest

    I'm pleased with my Fuji A210 finepix - not that I've much experience to
    compare it with other models. I've been told it takes good quality
    pictures.

    I purchased it based on reviews with competing products on www.dpreview.com

    Disco Stu, Aug 11, 2003
  13. Andrew

    SNOman Guest

    You could try going to
    http://www.expressgroup.co.nz/shop/p_dept.asp?Group=153 and have a look at
    their prices. I bought a Finepix F410 off them just recently. It arrived the
    day after ordering it. I am very happy with the camera, the real bonus being
    the charging/download cradle it comes with, saves stuffing around with
    cables so it's idiot proof for the wife :)
    SNOman, Aug 11, 2003
  14. Andrew

    MarkH Guest

    "Andrew" <> wrote in

    > I couldnt get to that site, mighta be down, do you know if they are
    > parallel importers? - i would rather avoid them type
    >
    > "G" <> wrote in message
    >> Cheaper again from Auckland Camera, check they have got stock though,
    >> sometimes you have to wait for them to get it in.
    >>
    >> http://www.aucklandcamera.com/digitalcanon.html

    Site is working now, they aren’t parallel importers. They are one of those
    proper camera shops that have been selling cameras since before digital.

    If the site wont load, try refresh. For some reason I often get the
    ‘cannot find page’ message, then I refresh and it works fine.

    I bought my Canon 10D from them because they are not parallel importers and
    they are cheaper than E-Town (who are parallel importers).

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"
    MarkH, Aug 11, 2003
  15. Andrew

    G Guest

    G, Aug 12, 2003
  16. Andrew

    Sonn Guest

    "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    > Im looking to buy a new digital camera to replaced the age old Agfa

    digital
    > i bought 5 years ago...
    >
    > Im not a photo expert or anything, but do still want something decent that
    > will last..
    > My requirements are Optical zoom, probably 3x - I dont care about digital
    > zoom
    > The camera is not going to be used for images online so i think 2 mega

    pixel
    > might not be enough, probably needs about 3
    > Price range... $700 odd retail
    >
    > Currently choosing between:
    > Canon A60 (2 mp, 3x optical)
    > Canon A70 (3 mp, 3x optical, 100 more then the A60)
    > Fuji Finpix A310 - dont know a large amount about this one yet, its just
    > been suggested to me as it is well priced)
    >
    > does anyone care to give any suggestions on whats good and bad? - open to
    > different brands/models
    >
    > Cheers
    > Andrew

    If you want something that will last consider maybe spending a little more
    for a Lumix (Panasonic), 8x optical zoom, with a Leica (German) optical
    precision lens. Check it out at
    http://www.panasonic.co.nz/web_content2.asp?id=100006863 A little above your
    price range I know, but Harvey Norman also have them, and you might be able
    to pay some off or something. Brilliant quality pics.
    S.
    Sonn, Aug 12, 2003
  17. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    I got to the site yesterday and they do have stock of the Canon A70 - and as
    you said they are cheap!, so i bought one, It should be arriving
    today/tomorrow :)

    Andrew, Aug 12, 2003
  18. Andrew

    colinco Guest

    In article <>, Sonn wrote...
    > If you want something that will last consider maybe spending a little more
    > for a Lumix (Panasonic), 8x optical zoom, with a Leica (German) optical
    > precision lens.

    There is supposedly a lot of rebadging with lenses.
    A common claim if you Google is

    "This was exhaustively discussed on many forums. The advertising states
    many things, still, the lens is identical to the ones sitting on Canon
    G2, Casio, a HP model and some Sony cameras (branded there as "Zeiss").

    All these lenses are made in Japan, maybe by Tamron.
    One genuine Leica lens costs as much as the whole LC5 digicam.
    So much for advertizing."
    colinco, Aug 13, 2003
  19. Andrew

    Paul Bealing Guest

    Chris wrote:
    > Andrew wrote:
    >

    >>Im looking to buy a new digital camera to replaced the age old Agfa
    >>digital i bought 5 years ago...
    >>
    >>Im not a photo expert or anything, but do still want something decent that
    >>will last..
    >>My requirements are Optical zoom, probably 3x - I dont care about digital
    >>zoom
    >>The camera is not going to be used for images online so i think 2 mega
    >>pixel might not be enough, probably needs about 3
    >>Price range... $700 odd retail
    >>
    >>Currently choosing between:
    >>Canon A60 (2 mp, 3x optical)
    >>Canon A70 (3 mp, 3x optical, 100 more then the A60)
    >>Fuji Finpix A310 - dont know a large amount about this one yet, its just
    >>been suggested to me as it is well priced)
    >>
    >>does anyone care to give any suggestions on whats good and bad? - open to
    >>different brands/models
    >>
    >>Cheers
    >>Andrew

    > I just bought a Samsung Digimax v4 and it's way cool. A little pricier than
    > you may be looking for at around $900 but it will come down for sure. Top
    > quality lens and super easy to use.
    >
    > 3x optical & 4x Digital zoom. Can use a variety of different power sources,
    > even has a car charger.
    >
    > Also comes with a 32 MB SD card (Wellington Photographics threw in a free 64
    > MB card, and I got to keep the 32 MB card as well).
    >
    > I'm very happy with it.
    >
    > Chris.

    I know someone who recently bought a Samsung V3. About $630 at the
    moment from www.ascent.co.nz

    Has taken some amazing pictures, even sone very closeup (macro) and
    night shots. Quite a small camera, nice controls etc.

    Regards
    Paul Bealing
    Paul Bealing, Aug 13, 2003
  20. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Auckland Camera were good - It arrived the day after i paid for it :)
    Very happy with them, and the camera is nice too - Still learning all the
    fiddly bits though! - Pretty easy camera to use

    Andrew, Aug 14, 2003