    light in the school auditoriums are very poor. [In old days I used to
    push process Fuji Provera 400 to 1600 ASA. Even then with 135 f2.8, I
    used to get a shutter speed of 1/90 sec with f2.8] With thanks.

    zxcvar, Sep 1, 2003

  2. zxcvar

    Ruth Guest

    Actually, I am looking to purchase the Olympus C750.
    http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_product_lobbypage.asp?l=1&p=16&bc=2&product=910

    I now have the C3030 Zoom and love it but it only does 3 x's optical and
    I also have a 2x zoom lens I can add taking it up to 6x. You can use
    digital zoom too, but it is not that clear.
    The C750 does 10x and I am hoping I can use the same 2X lense or even if
    I have to buy another 2x's lense at a small price, I will do it.
    I can show you all the digital pictures I have taken with this camera.
    There is also one album where I tested night photos named "Night Moves"
    So check them out and you will get a pretty good idea what a digital
    camera can do.
    http://community.webshots.com/user/ruthctaylor

    I would go for the 750 not the 740 since the 740 is only 3.2 mepapixels
    and the 750 is 4.0 megapixels

    Ruth, Sep 1, 2003

  3. "zxcvar" <> wrote in message
    > Greetings! I have no experience with digital cameras with long zoom.
    > The cameras with long zooms like Olympus c740 UZ & others are very
    > tempting. Can these cameras be used in the following situations - [a]
    > Baseball game at night without tripod to photograph your children
    > and family members dancing or acting in school shows during x-mas. The
    > light in the school auditoriums are very poor. [In old days I used to
    > push process Fuji Provera 400 to 1600 ASA. Even then with 135 f2.8, I
    > used to get a shutter speed of 1/90 sec with f2.8] With thanks.

    A 10X zoom camera, either digital or film, must be used with a tripod. In
    dim light the exposure will be long enough to blur movement of the camera or
    the subject. I don't know any digicam that lets you set the sensitivity to
    the equivalent of 1600 ASA. Some go to 800 ASA, but I don't know if any of
    them come with 10X zooms. Check it out on www.dpreview.com.

    Digicams have a longer lag time than film camera between when the button is
    pushed and the picture is taken. Get a camera that lets you take pictures
    in bursts. Then you choose the picture that best captures the action. It
    costs you nothing to take bursts of pictures.

    Marvin Margoshes, Sep 1, 2003
  4. zxcvar

    Rich Guest

    I have a 750uz and i don't see that you'll get any problems - the 10x zoom
    is fine without a tripod but if you got to digital 40x zoom you'll need to
    steady your hand

    Rich www.digitalmood.co.uk

    Rich, Sep 1, 2003
  5. zxcvar

    Albert Voss Guest

    On 1 Sep 2003 08:49:42 -0700, (zxcvar)
    wrote:

    >... [In old days I used to
    >push process Fuji Provera 400 to 1600 ASA. Even then with 135 f2.8, I
    >used to get a shutter speed of 1/90 sec with f2.8] With thanks.

    The problem with non-DSLR digicams is that unfortunately you
    definitively cannot push them to 1600 ASA because of their tiny
    sensors. I for instance have an Dimage and its not acceptable with
    more than 200. I tried out the brand new Canon 300D (a sensor six
    times as large!)and its older twin 10D and they give very nice 1600
    ASA shots. Add the fastest prime or zoom you can afford and you get
    stunning low light photos. And better take a monopod for support, it
    helps another f-stop or so.

    Albert Voss, Sep 3, 2003
  6. zxcvar

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 21:05:43 +0200, in rec.photo.digital Albert Voss
    <> wrote:

    >The problem with non-DSLR digicams is that unfortunately you
    >definitively cannot push them to 1600 ASA because of their tiny
    >sensors. I for instance have an Dimage and its not acceptable with
    >more than 200.

    Give the NeatImage demo a try, you might be quite surprised at the results.
    I've been using on shots with my CP-5700 taken at ISO 400 with good
    results.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://members.cox.net/egruf
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam

    Ed Ruf, Sep 3, 2003
  7. zxcvar

    MarkH Guest

    Albert Voss <> wrote in

    > On 1 Sep 2003 08:49:42 -0700, (zxcvar)
    > wrote:
    >
    >>... [In old days I used to
    >>push process Fuji Provera 400 to 1600 ASA. Even then with 135 f2.8, I
    >>used to get a shutter speed of 1/90 sec with f2.8] With thanks.

    > The problem with non-DSLR digicams is that unfortunately you
    > definitively cannot push them to 1600 ASA because of their tiny
    > sensors. I for instance have an Dimage and its not acceptable with
    > more than 200. I tried out the brand new Canon 300D (a sensor six
    > times as large!)and its older twin 10D and they give very nice 1600
    > ASA shots. Add the fastest prime or zoom you can afford and you get
    > stunning low light photos. And better take a monopod for support, it
    > helps another f-stop or so.

    You could always add the 70-200 f2.8 IS lens to the 10D, the IS is the
    newer generation that Canon claims is good for 3 stops extra hand holding
    ability. If you would normally need 1/200 sec then IS would let you shoot
    at 1/25sec and with f2.8 and ISO 1600 that would not require much light to
    achieve.

    The same would apply to the Nikon D100, Fuji S2, Canon 300D, Canon D60 and
    Canon D30 (though you may have to focus manually on the D60 & D30). Of
    course the professional models will do the same as well.

    Low available light hand held photography score:
    Compact Digicams – 0
    Digital SLRs – 1

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)