    Noho ora mai, ka kite ano
    Linux User 297164
    http://maxqnz.com/References.html
    Max Quordlepleen, May 27, 2004

  2. Max Quordlepleen

    Palm Guest

    "Max Quordlepleen" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > I've googled "digital cameras" in this NG from January on, and am 90%
    > settled on the Fuji S3000, largely for its 6x optical zoom. I would be
    > very intersted to hear of opinions on this camera from those who've
    > tried it, and for suggestion of 2 or 3 other cameras in that $550-$750
    > range that might be worth comparing against the Fuji. Unless the Fuji
    > is an utter lemon, I'll probably go for it, but I don't want to rule
    > others out prematurely. Thanks.
    > --

    if u want a good review see
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/fuji_s3000.html
    Palm, May 27, 2004

  3. "Max Quordlepleen" <> wrote in message

    > I've googled "digital cameras" in this NG from January on, and am 90%
    > settled on the Fuji S3000, largely for its 6x optical zoom. I would be
    > very intersted to hear of opinions on this camera from those who've
    > tried it, and for suggestion of 2 or 3 other cameras in that $550-$750
    > range that might be worth comparing against the Fuji. Unless the Fuji
    > is an utter lemon, I'll probably go for it, but I don't want to rule
    > others out prematurely. Thanks.
    > --
    > Noho ora mai, ka kite ano
    > Linux User 297164
    > http://maxqnz.com/References.html

    I have had this camera for about 6 months and am *very* impressed.
    It does every thing I want (normal snaps + some close ups)
    The only short coming is lack of focus and mic on the video mode. (I don't
    use this, except for amusement)
    It takes great photos up to A4 size.
    Get a 128mb XD card, camera bag, recharger and 4 extra nickel metal hydride
    batteries with it, and you won't look back!

    --
    Cheers
    Southern Kiwi
    Southern Kiwi, May 27, 2004
  4. Max Quordlepleen

    allsorts Guest

    > I've googled "digital cameras" in this NG from January on, and am 90%
    > settled on the Fuji S3000, largely for its 6x optical zoom. I would be
    > very intersted to hear of opinions on this camera from those who've
    > tried it, and for suggestion of 2 or 3 other cameras in that $550-$750
    > range that might be worth comparing against the Fuji. Unless the Fuji
    > is an utter lemon, I'll probably go for it, but I don't want to rule
    > others out prematurely. Thanks.
    > --
    > Noho ora mai, ka kite ano
    > Linux User 297164
    > http://maxqnz.com/References.html

    The only thing is that the lcd viewfinder freezes when focusing and as there
    is no optical viewfinder this maybe a problem with action shots. Other than
    this camera the canon a75 is worth a serious look and is by far the most
    highly recommended camera in this price range but of course it all comes
    down to personal priorities in which case the fuji maybe preferred because
    of it's superior zoom which from my research was really the only thing that
    was better about the fuji over the canon, the fuji is a pretty good choice
    except for the aforementioned viewfinder issue and the fact that the canon
    is by far the best camera in this price range for nightshots.
    allsorts, May 27, 2004
  5. On Thu, 27 May 2004 05:08:21 GMT, "Palm"
    <> proffered, in : news:cJetc.4206
    $:

    > if u want a good review see
    > http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/fuji_s3000.html

    Yes, thanks. That review had tended to strengthen my preference for the
    Fuji, but it’s always nice to hear real-life experiences as well.
    Thanks for the link.
    Max Quordlepleen, May 27, 2004
  6. On Thu, 27 May 2004 05:21:00 GMT, "Southern Kiwi"
    <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> proffered, in :

    > Get a 128mb XD card, camera bag, recharger and 4 extra nickel
    > metal hydride batteries with it, and you won't look back!

    Great to know, thanks! Now all I have to do is wait for my insurance
    company to write me a cheque.
    Max Quordlepleen, May 27, 2004
  7. Max Quordlepleen

    Daver Guest

    I was looking at the same but am tossing up between a S5000 or Minolta Z1
    both less than $700 at etown.

    Daver, May 27, 2004
  8. Max Quordlepleen

    Robert Guest

    The NZ consumer magazine tested 82 digital cameras.
    http://www.consumer.org.nz/category.asp?category=Appliances
    Its in the April 2004 issue

    Robert, May 27, 2004
  9. Max Quordlepleen

    Wombus Guest

    > I've googled "digital cameras" in this NG from January on, and am 90%
    > settled on the Fuji S3000, largely for its 6x optical zoom. I would be
    > very intersted to hear of opinions on this camera from those who've
    > tried it, and for suggestion of 2 or 3 other cameras in that $550-$750
    > range that might be worth comparing against the Fuji. Unless the Fuji
    > is an utter lemon, I'll probably go for it, but I don't want to rule
    > others out prematurely. Thanks.
    > --
    > Noho ora mai, ka kite ano
    > Linux User 297164
    > http://maxqnz.com/References.html

    Fuji S3000 was selling for $399 the other day at DSE power house in
    Hamilton... (so i was told) may have been an opening special ? I'm not sure.
    Wombus, May 27, 2004
  10. "Daver" <> writes:

    > I was looking at the same but am tossing up between a S5000 or Minolta Z1
    > both less than $700 at etown.

    Yes, the S5000 looks very nice, but I think that by the time I've
    bought all the accessories - recharger, extra batteries, bigger xD
    stick - even the S3000 will have taken me to the limit of what I can
    afford.

    --
    Though this be method, yet there is madness in 't
    Max Quordlepleen, May 27, 2004
  11. Max Quordlepleen

    A Guest

    On Thu, 27 May 2004 21:15:36 +1200, "Wombus"
    <> wrote:

    >"Max Quordlepleen" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I've googled "digital cameras" in this NG from January on, and am 90%
    >> settled on the Fuji S3000, largely for its 6x optical zoom. I would be
    >> very intersted to hear of opinions on this camera from those who've
    >> tried it, and for suggestion of 2 or 3 other cameras in that $550-$750
    >> range that might be worth comparing against the Fuji. Unless the Fuji
    >> is an utter lemon, I'll probably go for it, but I don't want to rule
    >> others out prematurely. Thanks.
    >> --
    >> Noho ora mai, ka kite ano
    >> Linux User 297164
    >> http://maxqnz.com/References.html

    >Fuji S3000 was selling for $399 the other day at DSE power house in
    >Hamilton... (so i was told) may have been an opening special ? I'm not sure.

    $397 actually and it was the opening special. Damn tempted to get a
    second one myself at that price.
    A, May 27, 2004
  12. Southern Kiwi, May 27, 2004
  13. Max Quordlepleen

    XPD Guest

    > I've googled "digital cameras" in this NG from January on, and am 90%
    > settled on the Fuji S3000, largely for its 6x optical zoom. I would be
    > very intersted to hear of opinions on this camera from those who've
    > tried it, and for suggestion of 2 or 3 other cameras in that $550-$750
    > range that might be worth comparing against the Fuji. Unless the Fuji
    > is an utter lemon, I'll probably go for it, but I don't want to rule
    > others out prematurely. Thanks.

    Im looking at the Fuji S5000 Zoom model myself... only $700 - 10x optical
    zoom, manual settings etc etc...
    XPD, May 27, 2004
  14. "Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> writes:

    >> The NZ consumer magazine tested 82 digital cameras.
    >> http://www.consumer.org.nz/category.asp?category=Appliances
    >> Its in the April 2004 issue
    >>

    > Unfortunately you need to subscribe in order to follow this link to the
    > results.....

    Fortunately, I am subscribed. 8^)

    The Consumer review basically rated the S3000 as "fair" - the "Steve's
    Digicam" review was a little more upbeat. Getting the S5000 would be
    nice, but I think I'll settle for the s3000, which will cost about the
    same as the S5000, by the time I've bought all the necessary extras.

    --
    Q: I was listening to a CD in Grip and it sounded horrible! What's up?
    A: Perhaps you are listening to country music...
    Max Quordlepleen, May 27, 2004
  15. Max Quordlepleen

    allsorts Guest

    > "Daver" <> writes:
    >
    > > I was looking at the same but am tossing up between a S5000 or Minolta

    Z1
    > > both less than $700 at etown.

    > Yes, the S5000 looks very nice, but I think that by the time I've
    > bought all the accessories - recharger, extra batteries, bigger xD
    > stick - even the S3000 will have taken me to the limit of what I can
    > afford.
    >
    > --
    > Though this be method, yet there is madness in 't
    > Linux User 297164
    > http://maxqnz.com/References.html

    There is no lcd viewfinder freezing issue with the s5000.
    allsorts, May 27, 2004
  16. Max Quordlepleen

    allsorts Guest

    "Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Robert" <> wrote in message
    > > The NZ consumer magazine tested 82 digital cameras.
    > > http://www.consumer.org.nz/category.asp?category=Appliances
    > > Its in the April 2004 issue
    > >

    > Unfortunately you need to subscribe in order to follow this link to the
    > results.....

    Not that unfortunate as there are much more comprehensive reviews available
    than what nz consumer supply, I find nz consumer review of very limited
    value, the camera review is a good starting point if you are completely
    clueless on digital cameras but if you want to base your decision on more
    than a basic feature comparison then you need to look elsewhere.
    allsorts, May 27, 2004
  17. Max Quordlepleen

    allsorts Guest

    > "Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> writes:
    >
    > >> The NZ consumer magazine tested 82 digital cameras.
    > >> http://www.consumer.org.nz/category.asp?category=Appliances
    > >> Its in the April 2004 issue
    > >>

    > > Unfortunately you need to subscribe in order to follow this link to the
    > > results.....

    > Fortunately, I am subscribed. 8^)
    >
    > The Consumer review basically rated the S3000 as "fair" - the "Steve's
    > Digicam" review was a little more upbeat. Getting the S5000 would be
    > nice, but I think I'll settle for the s3000, which will cost about the
    > same as the S5000, by the time I've bought all the necessary extras.

    Pretty much sounds like you had your mind made up, but then you did say you
    would go with the s3000 unless it was an absolute lemon which it is not so,
    so good luck with your s3000, zoom, zoom ,zoom.
    allsorts, May 27, 2004
  18. Max Quordlepleen

    Palm Guest

    "allsorts" <kazuga@guitar> wrote in message news:40b66919$...

    > "Max Quordlepleen" <> wrote in message

    > > > Unfortunately you need to subscribe in order to follow this link to

    the
    > > > results.....

    > > Fortunately, I am subscribed. 8^)
    > >
    > > The Consumer review basically rated the S3000 as "fair" - the "Steve's
    > > Digicam" review was a little more upbeat. Getting the S5000 would be
    > > nice, but I think I'll settle for the s3000, which will cost about the
    > > same as the S5000, by the time I've bought all the necessary extras.
    > >

    > Pretty much sounds like you had your mind made up, but then you did say

    you
    > would go with the s3000 unless it was an absolute lemon which it is not

    so,
    > so good luck with your s3000, zoom, zoom ,zoom.

    damn u now I'll have that mazda ad stuck in my head all day .... zoom zoom
    zoooooooom ;)
    Palm, May 27, 2004
  19. "allsorts" <kazuga@guitar> writes:

    > Pretty much sounds like you had your mind made up, but then you did say you
    > would go with the s3000 unless it was an absolute lemon which it is not so,
    > so good luck with your s3000, zoom, zoom ,zoom.

    Thanks. As I said, the s5000 would be great, but I can't stretch the
    dosh that far, sadly. I could buy the camera itself, and that would be
    it - no recharger, no xD card, no case, no extra batteries. A nice
    paperweight. 8^)

    Max Quordlepleen, May 28, 2004
  20. Max Quordlepleen

    Daver Guest

    Check out www.digitalshop.co.nz for your S3000. Good price and not a
    parallel import if that bothers you.
    Picked up a Minolta Z2 there $200 cheaper than etown.

    Daver, May 28, 2004