    and shoot digital and I'm not sure what say a 3x lens equates to.
    Thanks.
    , May 12, 2004

  2. Thad Guest

    wrote:

    > I'm looking to buy a smaller point
    > and shoot digital and I'm not sure what say a 3x lens equates to.
    > Thanks.

    It is different with every camera. For example:

    Canon Powershot A80: 3X Zoom (38mm - 114mm equiv for 35mm)

    Minolta Dimage S414: 4X Zoom (35mm - 140mm equiv for 35mm)

    Olympus Camedia 5060: 4X Zoom (27mm - 110mm equiv for 35mm)

    Usually they start at somewhere between the 34mm or 38mm equiv for 35mm.

    Now, we are starting to see a few models start as wide as 27mm or 28mm.

    Of course, you could go wider with a dSLR.

    You can see the conversions for each camera's zoom range by going to
    http://www.dcviews.com and clicking "CAMERAS", then clicking the model
    you are interested in, then clicking "CAMERA SPECIFICATIONS, TIPS &
    REVIEWS".

    --

    -Thad L.
    Thad, May 12, 2004

  3. Guest

    Thanks. That's a great and informative site. I appreciate the link.

    >> I'm looking to buy a smaller point
    >> and shoot digital and I'm not sure what say a 3x lens equates to.
    >> Thanks.

    >It is different with every camera. For example:
    >

    >Canon Powershot A80: 3X Zoom (38mm - 114mm equiv for 35mm)
    >
    >Minolta Dimage S414: 4X Zoom (35mm - 140mm equiv for 35mm)
    >
    >Olympus Camedia 5060: 4X Zoom (27mm - 110mm equiv for 35mm)
    >

    >Usually they start at somewhere between the 34mm or 38mm equiv for 35mm.
    >
    >Now, we are starting to see a few models start as wide as 27mm or 28mm.
    >

    >Of course, you could go wider with a dSLR.
    >
    >You can see the conversions for each camera's zoom range by going to
    >http://www.dcviews.com and clicking "CAMERAS", then clicking the model
    >you are interested in, then clicking "CAMERA SPECIFICATIONS, TIPS &
    >REVIEWS".
    , May 12, 2004
  4. Thad Guest

    wrote:

    > Thanks. That's a great and informative site. I appreciate the link.

    No problem.

    --

    -Thad L.
    Thad, May 12, 2004