digital camera with best video function.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by arkarda, Oct 9, 2004.

  1. arkarda

    arkarda Guest

    Sorry to interrupt your NG, but I usually take digital
    snaps, but occasionally I'd like to take a few quick short film clips.
    The thing is they have to be quite good, at quite a good rez.

    I've heard of Digital cameras now doing 640X480 (near video
    resolution)
    short films. I've tried many and the choice is
    BEWILDERING.Mags,Manuals and salesmen may tell you how long they
    capture, what codec but not all the info altogether.Sometimes the
    clips are good, but let down by a rubbish codec
    that smothers the picture in macroblocks. Sometimes the codec is good
    but its too small (usually 320x240 in size)

    WHAT ARE THE BEST DIGITAL CAMERAS WITH THE BEST VIDEO FUNCTION?
    A good list and why would be great so I can get some type of lead.
    And yes I do know the stock answer is to go and by a digital video
    camera.
    But I will need nowhere near that amount of footage, or fork out for
    the firewire card etc, etc.

    thanks in advance.

    Ark

    arkarda, Oct 9, 2004

  2. arkarda

    GT40 Guest

    On 9 Oct 2004 07:56:47 -0700, (arkarda) wrote:

    >Sorry to interrupt your NG, but I usually take digital
    >snaps, but occasionally I'd like to take a few quick short film clips.
    >The thing is they have to be quite good, at quite a good rez.

    You need to be a digital video camera.

    GT40, Oct 9, 2004

  3. The Canon S1IS seems to have a quite good video mode. Review and video
    sample can be found here:
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/s1is.html

    --
    Jan Otto