    petite girl?

    Thanks!

    -mi

    Mikhail Teterin, Dec 6, 2004

  2. Mikhail Teterin

    Bill Crocker Guest

    Canon's new PowerShot G6.
    http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=10463

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Dec 6, 2004

  3. In article <>,
    Mikhail Teterin <> wrote:

    > Hello!
    >
    > I'm looking for a small digital camera, that would have the "equivalent 35mm
    > focal length" starting below 30mm. The zoom would nice, but 100mm is
    > sufficient...
    >
    > All cameras I can find have the range beginning at 36 or 38 millimeters. Can
    > someone recommend a good model, that would still fit in the hand of a
    > petite girl?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > -mi

    Maybe the Oly C-5060WZ or C-8080WZ. The 35mm format zoom equivalent is
    28 to 140 mm.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Dec 6, 2004
  4. Mikhail Teterin, Dec 6, 2004
  5. Kevin McMurtrie wrote:

    >> All cameras I can find have the range beginning at 36 or 38 millimeters.
    >> Can someone recommend a good model, that would still fit in the hand of a
    >> petite girl?

    > Maybe the Oly C-5060WZ or C-8080WZ. The 35mm format zoom equivalent is
    > 28 to 140 mm.

    Yes, indeed, these do have impressive lenses. But both are rather bulky
    (15.2 ounces for C-5060WZ) and don't match the second requirement --
    fitting in the hand of a petite girl... :)

    Don't we have anything else from the hundreds of brilliant engineers working
    for all these electronic companies?

    Thanks for the prompte response. Yours,

    -mi

    Mikhail Teterin, Dec 6, 2004
  6. Mikhail Teterin

    Bill Crocker Guest

    Ok, how about Canon's PowerShot Pro1:
    http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=9823&sa=true

    Bill Crocker, Dec 6, 2004
  7. Mikhail Teterin

    Bill Crocker Guest

    Oops...too heavy for you!

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Dec 6, 2004
  8. Try the Canon Powershot S70. It has a 28-100mm zoom (35mm-equivalent) and is
    slightly smaller than the earlier S series

    http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=10460

    DC

    David Cawthon, Dec 6, 2004
  9. Mikhail Teterin

    Tom Pfeiffer Guest

    Canon S60/S70 or Fuji E500/E510.

    tompc

    Tom Pfeiffer, Dec 6, 2004
  10. Nikon 8400 eq: 24mm, Olympus C5060 eq: 27mm, Canon Pro1 eq: 28mm, all are
    bulkier cameras. are three that pop to mind

    Darrell Larose, Dec 6, 2004
  11. Mikhail Teterin

    cyclone Guest

    > Hello!
    >
    > I'm looking for a small digital camera, that would have the "equivalent

    35mm
    > focal length" starting below 30mm. The zoom would nice, but 100mm is
    > sufficient...
    >
    > All cameras I can find have the range beginning at 36 or 38 millimeters.

    Can
    > someone recommend a good model, that would still fit in the hand of a
    > petite girl?

    If you go to dpreview and do a features search (homepage/buying
    guide/features search) you can specify a wide zoom end of
    < 28 (though it still returns exactly 28mm matches) and a weight of less
    than 350g/12oz. It will return a table showing the features of each of the
    5 matches.

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp

    You should be aware that the wider you go the more chance you have of barrel
    distortion/warping (probably the wrong words - others can explain better
    than me).

    Good luck.
    Tony

    cyclone, Dec 6, 2004
  12. > I'm looking for a small digital camera, that would have the "equivalent
    > 35mm
    > focal length" starting below 30mm. The zoom would nice, but 100mm is
    > sufficient...
    >
    > All cameras I can find have the range beginning at 36 or 38 millimeters.
    > Can
    > someone recommend a good model, that would still fit in the hand of a
    > petite girl?

    The Fuji E500 & E510 are 4 & 5 megapixel cameras that have 28-90mm zoom
    lenses. For casual point & shoot use, they're fine, but inexpensive
    wide-angle lenses don't exist for a reason- it's more difficult to control
    distortion and purple fringing as lenses get wider. In other words, there
    will be some quality trade-offs involved.

    These cameras also eat batteries a bit more quickly than most, as they take
    just a pair of AAs (instead of 4, as most do, or a high-capacity proprietary
    Li-Ion) and have a very large screen which, while impressive, uses up a lot
    of power and, with its ultra-tiny viewfinder, is the only way to accurately
    take shots.

    Also, they take xD memory, which is considerably more expensive than either
    CF or SD, and often not included as a readable format in most card readers
    (not a huge problem, just means you have to be more careful with what you
    buy).

    But the camera is small, light and very easy to use.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    Mike Jacoubowsky, Dec 6, 2004
  13. Mikhail Teterin

    J. A. Mc. Guest

    On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 22:36:51 -0500, Mikhail Teterin
    <> found these unused words floating about:

    <http://kmpi.konicaminolta.us/eprise/main/kmpi/content/cam/cam_product_pages/DiMAGE_A2?mDetail=Specifications>

    J. A. Mc., Dec 6, 2004
  14. Mikhail Teterin

    Mark Weaver Guest

    "cyclone" <> wrote in message news:jhSsd.994

    > You should be aware that the wider you go the more chance you have of

    barrel
    > distortion/warping (probably the wrong words - others can explain better
    > than me).

    That's true -- but there are free tool that can fix barrel distortion very
    easily.

    Mark

    Mark Weaver, Dec 7, 2004
  15. J. A. Mc. wrote:

    >>All cameras I can find have the range beginning at 36 or 38 millimeters.
    >>Can someone recommend a good model, that would still fit in the hand of a
    >>petite girl?
    >>
    >>Thanks!
    >>
    >> -mi

    <http://kmpi.konicaminolta.us/eprise/main/kmpi/content/cam/cam_product_pages/DiMAGE_A2?mDetail=Specifications>

    THanks, but the weight rules this one out -- over 19.9 ounces PLUS battery
    and media...

    -mi

    Mikhail Teterin, Dec 7, 2004
  16. Mikhail Teterin

    Jon Pike Guest

    Mikhail Teterin <> wrote in

    > J. A. Mc. wrote:
    >
    >>>All cameras I can find have the range beginning at 36 or 38
    >>>millimeters. Can someone recommend a good model, that would still fit
    >>>in the hand of a petite girl?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks!
    >>>
    >>> -mi

    > <http://kmpi.konicaminolta.us/eprise/main/kmpi/content/cam/cam_product_
    > pages/DiMAGE_A2?mDetail=Specifications>
    >
    > THanks, but the weight rules this one out -- over 19.9 ounces PLUS
    > battery and media...
    >
    > -mi

    Canon's innovative UA lens technology has made it possible to fit a wide
    angle 28-100mm, 3.6x optical zoom lens into the S70's slim body
    http://www.canon.ca/english/index-products.asp?lng=en&prodid=636&sgid=23
    &gid=2&ovr=1 (canon powershot s70)
    Focal Length: 5.8-20.7mm zoom Lens (35mm film equivalent: 28-100mm)

    7mp.

    --
    http://www.neopets.com/refer.phtml?username=moosespet

    Jon Pike, Dec 7, 2004