    send overseas.

    Thanks for any help you wonders out there.
    Kathy

    Tapi Himiona, Jan 11, 2004

  2. Tapi Himiona

    KiwiRider Guest

    Disregard any claims of DIGITAL zoom, all that does is make the picture you
    already have larger, not closer or any clearer i.e. the same amount of
    pixels just fatter . Get the highest OPTICAL zoom that you can.. this is the
    one that actually 'zooms' in on a subject or makes them larger whilst
    retaining the picture quality.

    "Tapi Himiona" <> wrote in message
    > I've got approx. $300 to buy a digital camera, can anyone give me a hint

    or

    KiwiRider, Jan 11, 2004

  3. Tapi Himiona

    Barg Guest

    Tapi Himiona wrote:

    > I've got approx. $300 to buy a digital camera, can anyone give me a hint
    > or two whether I should buy one new or second hand?????
    >
    > I realise that I probably need 3.2 megapixels, but how important is zoom,
    > etc? I want to take a reasonable shot close up of pictures and paintings
    > to send overseas.
    >
    > Thanks for any help you wonders out there.
    > Kathy

    Check out www.dpreview.com/reviews/default.asp?view=rating for camera
    ratings, then www.pricespy.co.nz and click on Cameras for the best local
    prices. Once you start to get the feel of the market keep an eye on
    www.trademe.co.nz and/or www.te.co.nz (Trade and Exchange).

    Barg, Jan 11, 2004
  4. Tapi Himiona

    K & S Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 18:00:44 +1300, "Tapi Himiona" <>
    wrote:

    >I've got approx. $300 to buy a digital camera, can anyone give me a hint or
    >two whether I should buy one new or second hand?????
    >
    >I realise that I probably need 3.2 megapixels, but how important is zoom,
    >etc? I want to take a reasonable shot close up of pictures and paintings to
    >send overseas.
    >
    >Thanks for any help you wonders out there.
    >Kathy

    $300 will buy a load of utter Crap..

    You need at least $600 or more..

    K & S, Jan 11, 2004
  5. K & S wrote:

    >>I've got approx. $300 to buy a digital camera, can anyone give me a hint or
    >>two whether I should buy one new or second hand?????
    >>
    >>I realise that I probably need 3.2 megapixels, but how important is zoom,
    >>etc? I want to take a reasonable shot close up of pictures and paintings to
    >>send overseas.

    > $300 will buy a load of utter Crap..
    >
    > You need at least $600 or more..

    Hes right.

    Also, you dont need zoom to take pictures, but a decent macro mode, but the 2
    seem to come hand in hand.

    Also the lighting is very important with takign pictures of art

    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Jan 11, 2004
  6. Tapi Himiona

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 20:02:45 +1300, Richard Malcolm-Smith wrote:

    > K & S wrote:
    >
    >>>I've got approx. $300 to buy a digital camera, can anyone give me a hint or
    >>>two whether I should buy one new or second hand?????
    >>>
    >>>I realise that I probably need 3.2 megapixels, but how important is zoom,
    >>>etc? I want to take a reasonable shot close up of pictures and paintings to
    >>>send overseas.

    >> $300 will buy a load of utter Crap..
    >>
    >> You need at least $600 or more..

    > Hes right.

    It does happen ;-)

    Gordon, Jan 11, 2004
  7. Tapi Himiona

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 18:39:02 +1300, KiwiRider wrote:

    > Disregard any claims of DIGITAL zoom, all that does is make the picture you
    > already have larger, not closer or any clearer i.e. the same amount of
    > pixels just fatter .

    A digital zoom only crops the picture. So at 2x power only 1/4 of
    cameras pixels used.

    Gordon, Jan 11, 2004
  8. Tapi Himiona

    Chris Guest

    Gordon <> wrote in

    >>> $300 will buy a load of utter Crap..
    >>>
    >>> You need at least $600 or more..

    >> Hes right.

    > It does happen ;-)

    But $600 ?, no, i wouldn't call that good advise

    --
    Chris

    Chris, Jan 11, 2004
  9. Tapi Himiona

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <4000e503$>, says...
    > I've got approx. $300 to buy a digital camera, can anyone give me a hint or
    > two whether I should buy one new or second hand?????
    >
    > I realise that I probably need 3.2 megapixels, but how important is zoom,
    > etc? I want to take a reasonable shot close up of pictures and paintings to
    > send overseas.

    Fuji 205 is a budget 2MP, reasonable value for its low price around $299.

    Mainlander, Jan 11, 2004
  10. Tapi Himiona

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 18:00:44 +1300, "Tapi Himiona" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I've got approx. $300 to buy a digital camera, can anyone give me a hint or
    > >two whether I should buy one new or second hand?????
    > >
    > >I realise that I probably need 3.2 megapixels, but how important is zoom,
    > >etc? I want to take a reasonable shot close up of pictures and paintings to
    > >send overseas.
    > >
    > >Thanks for any help you wonders out there.
    > >Kathy
    > >

    > $300 will buy a load of utter Crap..
    >
    > You need at least $600 or more..

    Absolute rubbish Woger, you can get a few reasonable Fuji models for $300
    ..

    Mainlander, Jan 11, 2004
  11. Tapi Himiona

    Chris Guest

    "Tapi Himiona" <> wrote in

    > I've got approx. $300 to buy a digital camera, can anyone give me a
    > hint or two whether I should buy one new or second hand?????
    >
    > I realise that I probably need 3.2 megapixels, but how important is
    > zoom, etc? I want to take a reasonable shot close up of pictures and
    > paintings to send overseas.
    >
    > Thanks for any help you wonders out there.
    > Kathy

    Heres a couple of links:
    First this will give u an idea of the number of MP you might (really) need

    http://www.frogprints.co.nz/help/quality.cfm

    and you will find some pricing here

    http://www.pricespy.co.nz/cat_13.html

    If you have only $300 and want a digital camera I'd go for the Olympus C-
    150 on the basis that it's a good brand that make good lens's - that will
    give you a reasonable size print out. One down side to the Olympus is that
    the memory cards tend to be a bit more expensive that other types. Also,
    it doesn't have any optical zoom but you would need to be prepared to pay
    more for that.

    --
    Chris

    Chris, Jan 11, 2004
  12. Tapi Himiona

    K & S Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 21:56:28 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 18:00:44 +1300, "Tapi Himiona" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I've got approx. $300 to buy a digital camera, can anyone give me a hint or
    >> >two whether I should buy one new or second hand?????
    >> >
    >> >I realise that I probably need 3.2 megapixels, but how important is zoom,
    >> >etc? I want to take a reasonable shot close up of pictures and paintings to
    >> >send overseas.
    >> >
    >> >Thanks for any help you wonders out there.
    >> >Kathy
    >> >

    >> $300 will buy a load of utter Crap..
    >>
    >> You need at least $600 or more..

    >Absolute rubbish Woger, you can get a few reasonable Fuji models for $300
    >.

    And can you see the Screen in Sunlight..??

    K & S, Jan 11, 2004
  13. Tapi Himiona

    cowboyz Guest

    Gordon wrote:

    >>> $300 will buy a load of utter Crap..
    >>>
    >>> You need at least $600 or more..

    >> Hes right.

    > It does happen ;-)

    Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

    cowboyz, Jan 11, 2004
  14. Tapi Himiona

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <btqsen$oip$>, says...
    > K & S wrote:
    >
    > >>I've got approx. $300 to buy a digital camera, can anyone give me a hint or
    > >>two whether I should buy one new or second hand?????
    > >>
    > >>I realise that I probably need 3.2 megapixels, but how important is zoom,
    > >>etc? I want to take a reasonable shot close up of pictures and paintings to
    > >>send overseas.

    > > $300 will buy a load of utter Crap..
    > >
    > > You need at least $600 or more..

    > Hes right.

    Exaggerated.

    Some reasonable models under or about the $300 mark include
    Fuji FinePix A205Z - 3x optical zoom
    Kodak CX6200 - no optical zoom

    Mainlander, Jan 11, 2004
  15. Tapi Himiona

    K & S Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 22:37:48 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

    >> > $300 will buy a load of utter Crap..
    >> >
    >> > You need at least $600 or more..

    >> Hes right.

    >Exaggerated.
    >
    >Some reasonable models under or about the $300 mark include
    >Fuji FinePix A205Z - 3x optical zoom
    >Kodak CX6200 - no optical zoom

    And you can't see the screen in Sunlight..

    Have you ever used a Digital Camera..?

    K & S, Jan 11, 2004
  16. > If you have only $300 and want a digital camera I'd go for the Olympus C-
    > 150 on the basis that it's a good brand that make good lens's - that will
    > give you a reasonable size print out. One down side to the Olympus is that
    > the memory cards tend to be a bit more expensive that other types. Also,
    > it doesn't have any optical zoom but you would need to be prepared to pay
    > more for that.

    For taking pics of art you need to have something that will have uniform focus
    at a close distance. This requires quality optics, its not something you can
    read off a spreadsheet.

    Also, if the art is 3d then a true apiture is good to get depth of field
    effects. I havent looked into it on digital stills, but some time back when I
    looked for a video camera with it I couldnt find a non-pro one with it.

    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Jan 11, 2004
  17. Tapi Himiona

    Chris Guest

    K & S <> wrote in

    > On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 22:37:48 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

    >>> Hes right.

    >>Exaggerated.
    >>
    >>Some reasonable models under or about the $300 mark include
    >>Fuji FinePix A205Z - 3x optical zoom
    >>Kodak CX6200 - no optical zoom

    > And you can't see the screen in Sunlight..
    >
    > Have you ever used a Digital Camera..?

    If the person is only wanting or able to spend $300 they need to be
    prepared to make some choices. The fact that you may or may not be able to
    see the screen in sunlight should not be a mayor problem cause you can
    always use the viewfinder - a small price to pay if only $300 is available
    to spend on equipment - i'd be more interested in the quality of the lens
    on the front.

    --
    Chris

    Chris, Jan 11, 2004
  18. Tapi Himiona

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 23:06:45 +1300, Richard Malcolm-Smith
    <> wrote:

    >> If you have only $300 and want a digital camera I'd go for the Olympus C-
    >> 150 on the basis that it's a good brand that make good lens's - that will
    >> give you a reasonable size print out. One down side to the Olympus is that
    >> the memory cards tend to be a bit more expensive that other types. Also,
    >> it doesn't have any optical zoom but you would need to be prepared to pay
    >> more for that.

    >For taking pics of art you need to have something that will have uniform focus
    >at a close distance. This requires quality optics, its not something you can
    >read off a spreadsheet.
    >
    >Also, if the art is 3d then a true apiture is good to get depth of field
    >effects. I havent looked into it on digital stills, but some time back when I
    >looked for a video camera with it I couldnt find a non-pro one with it.

    The prosumer ones do. My Sony DSC-V1 does. You can see it opening
    and closing when you change it. It's nowhere near the $300 mark
    though.

    I got a cool picture of a moth the other day
    http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/Moth-Side Front-E.jpg

    It must be a real camera though, cause you can see the screen in
    daylight. I believe that makes it real, rather than crap. :)

    Craig Shore, Jan 11, 2004
  19. Tapi Himiona

    Chris Guest

    > I've got approx. $300 to buy a digital camera, can anyone give me a hint

    or
    > two whether I should buy one new or second hand?????
    >
    > I realise that I probably need 3.2 megapixels, but how important is zoom,
    > etc? I want to take a reasonable shot close up of pictures and paintings

    > send overseas.
    >
    > Thanks for any help you wonders out there.
    > Kathy

    Have a look at 2nd hand Canon Ixus V2 (2MP)

    Chris No.2

    Chris, Jan 11, 2004
  20. Tapi Himiona

    Chris Guest

    Richard Malcolm-Smith <> wrote in

    >> If you have only $300 and want a digital camera I'd go for the
    >> Olympus C- 150 on the basis that it's a good brand that make good
    >> lens's - that will give you a reasonable size print out. One down
    >> side to the Olympus is that the memory cards tend to be a bit more
    >> expensive that other types. Also, it doesn't have any optical zoom
    >> but you would need to be prepared to pay more for that.

    > For taking pics of art you need to have something that will have
    > uniform focus at a close distance. This requires quality optics, its
    > not something you can read off a spreadsheet.

    My point in bringing up the Olympus (just as an example) is that they have
    a reputation for quality optics. Personally I'd rather have a 2 MP camera
    with good optics than a 3 MP one with lower quality optics given the main
    job it is required to do and the fact that the pics need to be emailed.
    Also, given the fact that the OP wants to take pics of paintings it would
    be reasonable to assume that any kind of zoom would not really be required.

    --
    Chris

    Chris, Jan 11, 2004