    I assume a USB 2 cable willl conect...and will purchase one...not that I
    know much about this...but my PC and my digfital camera seem to have a
    USB port available...any help appreciated..

    elliot, Jan 28, 2008

  2. elliot

    Jim Townsend Guest

    elliot wrote:

    > I was given my daughters older (1999) Canon S20 digital camera as she
    > purchased a newer model..and I wonder how difficult it may be to connect
    > to my Dell PC with Vista..
    > I assume a USB 2 cable willl conect...and will purchase one...not that I
    > know much about this...but my PC and my digfital camera seem to have a
    > USB port available...any help appreciated..

    The camera is a USB device. There should have been a USB cable
    included with the camera when it was purchased.

    If you have an 'Communication' option in the camera on screen menu
    that allows you to switch the camera to 'PTP' mode, then the Camera
    wizard in Vista will pick up the camera and allow you to download
    images.

    If not, then you'll either have to install Canon's proprietary drivers
    or pick up a $10 dollar card reader. Vista automatically detects card
    readers.

    Actually, if you currently have no USB cable, you're probably better
    off just buying a USB card reader instead....

    Jim Townsend, Jan 28, 2008

  3. ? "elliot" <> ?????? ??? ??????
    > I was given my daughters older (1999) Canon S20 digital camera as she
    > purchased a newer model..and I wonder how difficult it may be to connect
    > to my Dell PC with Vista..
    > I assume a USB 2 cable willl conect...and will purchase one...not that I
    > know much about this...but my PC and my digfital camera seem to have a
    > USB port available...any help appreciated..

    My sister has an old canon camera (P&S) that takes CF cards...They have lost
    the original USB cable along with the software, so I didn't bother at all
    with USB but got a 14 euros card reader.IIRC the camera(s) connect with a
    mini USB or a micro USB, which is pretty much standard, usually the camera
    appears as a removable drive, no idea if it's worth in your case or if you
    should get a card reader, too.FWIW I bought my mother a new mobile phone
    (the Nokia 1100;it cost 75 euros),because she always ended up with the old
    phones of everybody...
    HTH,

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    major in electrical engineering

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Jan 28, 2008
  4. elliot

    ray Guest

    On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 10:47:44 -0500, elliot wrote:

    > I was given my daughters older (1999) Canon S20 digital camera as she
    > purchased a newer model..and I wonder how difficult it may be to connect
    > to my Dell PC with Vista..
    > I assume a USB 2 cable willl conect...and will purchase one...not that I
    > know much about this...but my PC and my digfital camera seem to have a
    > USB port available...any help appreciated..

    Just make sure you get a USB cable with the correct connectors. The
    computer end is not usually a problem, but the camera generally takes a
    much smaller connector. You should be able to plug it in and copy. You
    might want to consider a USB card reader instead - most cameras are USB 1
    while card readers are generally USB 2 which is much faster - this also
    saves the camera battery since you simply remove the card from the camera
    and plug it into the reader to transfer - the card and reader should
    mount automatically, allowing you to transfer.

    ray, Jan 28, 2008
  5. elliot

    Mr. Strat Guest

    In article <>, elliot
    <> wrote:

    > I was given my daughters older (1999) Canon S20 digital camera as she
    > purchased a newer model..and I wonder how difficult it may be to connect
    > to my Dell PC with Vista..
    > I assume a USB 2 cable willl conect...and will purchase one...not that I
    > know much about this...but my PC and my digfital camera seem to have a
    > USB port available...any help appreciated..

    Connecting any device to Vista can be an iffy situation.

    Mr. Strat, Jan 28, 2008
  6. (elliot) wrote:
    >I was given my daughters older (1999) Canon S20 digital camera as she
    >purchased a newer model..and I wonder how difficult it may be to connect
    >to my Dell PC with Vista..
    >I assume a USB 2 cable willl conect...and will purchase one...not that I
    >know much about this...but my PC and my digfital camera seem to have a
    >USB port available...any help appreciated..

    According to http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonS20/page2.asp this camera
    uses CF memory cards. Save yourself a lot of trouble and get a memory card
    reader. They cost less than 20$ US. Much easier and faster.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Jan 28, 2008
  7. elliot

    Allen Guest

    Jürgen Exner wrote:
    > (elliot) wrote:
    >> I was given my daughters older (1999) Canon S20 digital camera as she
    >> purchased a newer model..and I wonder how difficult it may be to connect
    >> to my Dell PC with Vista..
    >> I assume a USB 2 cable willl conect...and will purchase one...not that I
    >> know much about this...but my PC and my digfital camera seem to have a
    >> USB port available...any help appreciated..

    > According to http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonS20/page2.asp this camera
    > uses CF memory cards. Save yourself a lot of trouble and get a memory card
    > reader. They cost less than 20$ US. Much easier and faster.
    >
    > jue

    I bought mine for about $5 three years ago--an unbranded one (unless you
    consider "Made in China" a brand). Occasionally I misplace it (a
    character trait of mine) and have to download directly from the camera,
    which I find is a nuisance. Vive la Card Readers!
    Allen

    Allen, Jan 28, 2008
  8. elliot

    Bob Williams Guest

    elliot wrote:
    > I was given my daughters older (1999) Canon S20 digital camera as she
    > purchased a newer model..and I wonder how difficult it may be to connect
    > to my Dell PC with Vista..
    > I assume a USB 2 cable willl conect...and will purchase one...not that I
    > know much about this...but my PC and my digfital camera seem to have a
    > USB port available...any help appreciated..

    Do yourself a BIG favor.
    Forget about cables and software programs for getting your images to
    your computer.
    Just buy a Card Reader.
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820609205

    Vista will recognize it instantly and install the necessary driver.
    Then simply insert your CF card in the reader
    Windows Explorer will download the images rapidly and flawlessly.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Jan 28, 2008
  9. elliot

    elliot Guest

    to all of of you ...thank you..I am in the process of looking at a card
    reader..I assume my Vista will have no problem re Drivers etc..not that
    I know what that is..

    my scanner has a built in card reader but I have toprint first to sacn
    to the PC

    elliot, Jan 28, 2008
  10. elliot

    Mr. Strat Guest

    In article <>, elliot
    <> wrote:

    > to all of of you ...thank you..I am in the process of looking at a card
    > reader..I assume my Vista will have no problem re Drivers etc..not that
    > I know what that is..

    I wouldn't "assume" that Vista will work with any specific piece of
    hardware.

    Mr. Strat, Jan 28, 2008
  11. elliot

    Matt Ion Guest

    elliot wrote:
    > to all of of you ...thank you..I am in the process of looking at a card
    > reader..I assume my Vista will have no problem re Drivers etc..not that
    > I know what that is..
    >
    > my scanner has a built in card reader but I have toprint first to sacn
    > to the PC

    What make/model device is this? I assume it's an all-in-one
    printer/scanner/copier/fax unit, which should work fine for your needs
    if the software or drivers are installed properly. You should not need
    to print first.

    Matt Ion, Feb 2, 2008
  12. elliot

    Tom Yost Guest

    On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 17:02:13 -0500, (elliot) wrote:

    >my scanner has a built in card reader but I have to print first to sacn
    >to the PC

    Thats almost as silly as the Kinkos commercial where the guy wants
    color copies of his black&white original document.

    Tom Yost, Feb 5, 2008