    If not, I'd like to find out which brands write their WIA drivers to
    support showing a drive letter.

    Thanks in advance!
    BrianD, Apr 26, 2005

  2. BrianD

    Scott W Guest

    BrianD wrote:
    > I'm trying to locate a digital camera that can be seen as a drive
    > letter under Windows XP. We have several Canons, but they apparently
    > don't work this way. Is there any way to assign a drive letter to a
    > Canon camera under Windows XP?
    >
    > If not, I'd like to find out which brands write their WIA drivers to
    > support showing a drive letter.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    The 20D will kind of sort of look like it is showing up as a drive
    letter, but it will not show all files on the memory card. You can see
    the folders and you can see the jpg files but for some reason the raw
    files are not visible. Canon is the only comany that I know that
    messes this up. Most of us that own a Canon us an external card reader
    to get around this.

    Scott
    Scott W, Apr 26, 2005

  3. BrianD

    BrianD Guest

    Thanks Scott!

    Let me elaborate a bit on what I'm trying to do. We're writing a
    program which is used for a user to take a picture and have it
    automatically imported into the database. The user will have an item
    selected and click "Take Picture" at which point we begin watching a
    folder and its subfolders for a jpg to be created. The user takes the
    picture with the camera and we detect a new file is created and move it
    to the appropriate place.

    We can watch a normal folder like c:\images just fine, and I presume we
    could watch a digital camera folder was well. Does the 20D actually
    assign a drive letter you can access by going to e:\ or whatever?

    We considered using the external card reader, but then the user would
    have to take it out and put it back in after every shot.....which won't
    really work for this environment.

    Thanks again for the help and suggestions!
    BrianD, Apr 26, 2005
  4. BrianD

    Gavin Guest

    On 26 Apr 2005 11:15:24 -0700, "BrianD" <>
    wrote:

    >I'm trying to locate a digital camera that can be seen as a drive
    >letter under Windows XP. We have several Canons, but they apparently
    >don't work this way. Is there any way to assign a drive letter to a
    >Canon camera under Windows XP?
    >
    >If not, I'd like to find out which brands write their WIA drivers to
    >support showing a drive letter.
    >
    >Thanks in advance!

    My Minolta A200 shows up as a driver letter, as does my Epson (but
    thats discontinued long ago).

    I don't guarantee other KM or Epsons models do the same but in my
    models they do...

    Gavin
    Gavin, Apr 26, 2005
  5. BrianD

    Mike Mills Guest

    "Scott W" <> wrote in

    > BrianD wrote:
    >> I'm trying to locate a digital camera that can be seen as a

    drive
    >> letter under Windows XP. We have several Canons, but they
    >> apparently don't work this way. Is there any way to assign a
    >> drive letter to a Canon camera under Windows XP?
    >>
    >> If not, I'd like to find out which brands write their WIA

    drivers
    >> to support showing a drive letter.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance!

    > The 20D will kind of sort of look like it is showing up as a

    drive
    > letter, but it will not show all files on the memory card. You
    > can see the folders and you can see the jpg files but for some
    > reason the raw files are not visible. Canon is the only comany
    > that I know that messes this up. Most of us that own a Canon us
    > an external card reader to get around this.

    Astrapix 610 cheap point & shoot.
    must install driver.
    when camera is plugged in new drive appears.
    May be best to use a dual pane file manager of your favorite
    version. Win 98 does not show this drive in "my computer" when it
    is
    present. Maybe you will find the same?
    Mike Mills, Apr 26, 2005
  6. BrianD

    Jim Townsend Guest

    BrianD wrote:

    > Thanks Scott!
    >
    > Let me elaborate a bit on what I'm trying to do. We're writing a
    > program which is used for a user to take a picture and have it
    > automatically imported into the database. The user will have an item
    > selected and click "Take Picture" at which point we begin watching a
    > folder and its subfolders for a jpg to be created. The user takes the
    > picture with the camera and we detect a new file is created and move it
    > to the appropriate place.
    >
    > We can watch a normal folder like c:\images just fine, and I presume we
    > could watch a digital camera folder was well. Does the 20D actually
    > assign a drive letter you can access by going to e:\ or whatever?

    You can do this.. (If I understand you correctly :)

    Just load Canon's remote capture software.. (It comes on the CD with
    the 20D.

    When you take a shot, the JPEG will automatically be sent to the
    computer's hard drive and will appear in whatever directory you select.

    Once it's on your computer's hard drive you can do anything you
    want with it.

    If you put the camera on a tripod, you can even trip the shutter
    from the computer.. No need to even touch the camera.
    Jim Townsend, Apr 26, 2005
  7. BrianD

    Gizmo Guest

    "Jim Townsend" <> wrote in message
    > If you put the camera on a tripod, you can even trip the shutter
    > from the computer.. No need to even touch the camera.

    Damn .. you mean I have to lug this hulking great beast around with my 20D
    now ? ;o)
    Gizmo, Apr 26, 2005
  8. BrianD wrote:

    > I'm trying to locate a digital camera that can be seen as a drive
    > letter under Windows XP. We have several Canons, but they apparently
    > don't work this way. Is there any way to assign a drive letter to a
    > Canon camera under Windows XP?
    >
    > If not, I'd like to find out which brands write their WIA drivers to
    > support showing a drive letter.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    Minolta Dimage S414 shows up as a drive letter under XP.
    Arnie Goetchius, Apr 27, 2005
  9. BrianD

    Ron Hunter Guest

    BrianD wrote:
    > I'm trying to locate a digital camera that can be seen as a drive
    > letter under Windows XP. We have several Canons, but they apparently
    > don't work this way. Is there any way to assign a drive letter to a
    > Canon camera under Windows XP?
    >
    > If not, I'd like to find out which brands write their WIA drivers to
    > support showing a drive letter.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    My Kodak DX6440 appears as a drive letter, but I don't know if that is
    because of the Kodak software, or if WinXP recognizes it 'natively'. In
    any case, the flash card, AND the internal memory are both addressable.

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Apr 27, 2005
  10. BrianD

    james Guest

    In article <>, Gizmo <> wrote:

    >"Jim Townsend" <> wrote in message
    >> If you put the camera on a tripod, you can even trip the shutter
    >> from the computer.. No need to even touch the camera.

    >Damn .. you mean I have to lug this hulking great beast around with my 20D
    >now ? ;o)

    It certainly is an attractive alternative to the $450 remote timer
    control. I desire something like an HP iPaq program to use as a cable
    release/timer/remote control.
    james, Apr 27, 2005
  11. BrianD

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Winxp doesn't seem to assign a drive letter to Canon cameras. It shows a
    folder under 'My Computer' named Canon something or other. Within that
    folder it shows the .jpg's and an empty folder called 'misc'. This is not
    what you would see using a card reader. I think the op would have trouble
    doing what he wants without special software. In addition, on my machine a
    window dialog pops up when I connect the camera offering view options. It
    maybe that dialog can be suppressed.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Apr 27, 2005
  12. BrianD

    Guest

    "BrianD" <> wrote:

    >I'm trying to locate a digital camera that can be seen as a drive
    >letter under Windows XP. We have several Canons, but they apparently
    >don't work this way. Is there any way to assign a drive letter to a
    >Canon camera under Windows XP?
    >
    >If not, I'd like to find out which brands write their WIA drivers to
    >support showing a drive letter.

    My sony dsc-V3 and dsc-P32 show up as a drive letter on XP, ME, and
    W2K.

    Since I have dialup at home and my workplace is a internetworking
    center for a fortune 500, I download ISO images and other large files
    at lunch to my camera to bring home.

    Wes
    --
    Reply to:
    Whiskey Echo Sierra Sierra AT Alpha Charlie Echo Golf Romeo Oscar Paul dot Charlie Charlie
  13. BrianD

    Ronald Baird Guest

    Greetings Dave,

    Thought I would share how Kodak presents your camera using EasyShare
    drivers.

    Kodak, along with many others, use a communication standard known as PTP or
    Picture Transfer Protocol. Kodak was one of the first to use this and one of
    the primary authors of the standard, which has been submittd to the ISO and
    is in the process of being adopted, if it hasn't already. There are numerous
    advantages to using PTP, one of which is that the new direct-to-printer
    standard PictBridge runs on top of PTP.

    However, most OS' do not have PTP drivers in the base OS. (Windows XP and
    MacOS X do, everything else does not) This will require that you install a
    driver to communicate with the cameras.

    The other standard that can be used is what is known as USB Mass Storage
    Device Class, or USBMSDC. This makes the device appear as a removeable mass
    storage device on your comptuer. Support for USBMSDC is a bit broader in the
    native OS (I think Windows 2000 and Windows ME also have this) you still may
    have to install a driver to use a MSDC device.

    To install just the driver for Kodak cameras, run the EasyShare install
    disk, select custom install and install only "Camera Connection Software"
    You will not get any of the EasyShare software or the automatic transfer but
    your camera will be recognized by the computer and will show up in windows
    Explorer as a hard disk

    Talk to you soon, Dave, or others that might read this.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ronald Baird, May 2, 2005