    camera in exchange for another?

    Thanks,

    Glenn

    Glenn Dulmage, Jan 18, 2006

  2. "Glenn Dulmage" <> wrote in message
    news:4aozf.20679$Di.11901@trnddc06...
    >I have a Canon Digital Rebel which I dropped and damaged the door to the
    >battery compartment. The camera works finem but I have to use it with a
    >rubber band holding the battery door closed.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas of a repair service (not Canon, I have tried them
    > and they are VERY expensive) that could do the repairs or perhaps take the
    > camera in exchange for another?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Glenn

    The door to your Canon Digital Rebel camera is a proprietary thing, and
    breaking the door is not a common occurrence that you think a third party
    would manufacture replacement parts for that. I think you may have to pay
    Canon or keep using the rubber band.

    If you think a common rubber band is ugly, you may consider buying some of
    those colourful pony tail elastics from the hair care aile. They add
    elegance and decor to you camera.

    WannabeSomeone, Jan 18, 2006

  3. Thanks for the fashion advice -:)

    Glenn Dulmage, Jan 18, 2006
  4. Glenn Dulmage

    David Guest

    "Glenn Dulmage" <> wrote in message
    >I have a Canon Digital Rebel which I dropped and damaged the door to the
    >battery compartment. The camera works finem but I have to use it with a
    >rubber band holding the battery door closed.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas of a repair service (not Canon, I have tried them
    > and they are VERY expensive) that could do the repairs or perhaps take the
    > camera in exchange for another?

    If this happened to me my Home Contents would cover under the section Goods
    temporry removed.
    Guess I would to pay the first £50.
    Of course the Insurence company might not decide to repair and would supply
    a new camera. Policy is New for Old.
    --
    Regards
    David

    David, Jan 18, 2006
  5. Glenn Dulmage

    Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 09:48:48 GMT, "Glenn Dulmage" <> wrote:

    > I have a Canon Digital Rebel which I dropped and damaged the door to the
    > battery compartment. The camera works finem but I have to use it with a
    > rubber band holding the battery door closed.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas of a repair service (not Canon, I have tried them and
    > they are VERY expensive) that could do the repairs or perhaps take the
    > camera in exchange for another?

    Probably requires case replacement.

    $250, I'd say.

    , Jan 18, 2006
  6. Glenn Dulmage wrote:
    > I have a Canon Digital Rebel which I dropped and damaged the door to
    > the battery compartment. The camera works finem but I have to use it
    > with a rubber band holding the battery door closed.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas of a repair service (not Canon, I have tried
    > them and they are VERY expensive) that could do the repairs or
    > perhaps take the camera in exchange for another?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Glenn

    Try Googling for "camera repairs", followed by the country you live in, eg
    "UK", and I am sure you will come up with lots of hits. I have just had a
    Leica repaired by a most delightful guy who did the job at a huge discount,
    guaranteed it, and sent me a one-hour video of him doing the work! Sure it
    was expensive, but the camera, a 1952 Leica 3f, is now absolutely as new.

    Not suggesting that your Canon problem would interest this guy, but there
    must be someone who does the new stuff, or do they expect us to buy a new
    camera?

    The insurance mentioned by a previous poster is quite fantastic if you have
    it. I got a brand-new £800 laptop when I dropped my ancient Thinkpad on the
    floor last year, no questions asked!

    Dennis.

    Dennis Pogson, Jan 18, 2006
  7. Glenn Dulmage

    Tesco News Guest

    "Glenn Dulmage" <> wrote in message
    >I have a Canon Digital Rebel which I dropped and damaged the door to the
    >battery compartment. The camera works finem but I have to use it with a
    >rubber band holding the battery door closed.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas of a repair service (not Canon, I have tried them
    > and they are VERY expensive) that could do the repairs or perhaps take the
    > camera in exchange for another?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Glenn

    Hi.

    I am not sure what the Battery Compartment door on a Rebel looks like.

    I worked in reception for a Repairer, and snapped off battery doors were
    very commonplace, so much so that we carried stocks for most of the Popular
    Cameras. It was a 5 minute job to replace them, and most could be done by
    just loosening the screws on the base, without any actual dismantling.

    If you are in the UK, Jessops, or your local dealer will probably have an
    arrangement with one of the independant repairers. They should be able to
    get an estimate for your replacement door by phoning.

    Roy G

    Tesco News, Jan 18, 2006
  8. Glenn Dulmage

    spudnuty Guest

    Tesco News wrote:
    > "Glenn Dulmage" <> wrote in message
    > >I have a Canon Digital Rebel which I dropped and damaged the door to the
    > >battery compartment. The camera works finem but I have to use it with a
    > >rubber band holding the battery door closed.
    > >
    > > Anyone have any ideas of a repair service (not Canon, I have tried them
    > > and they are VERY expensive) that could do the repairs or perhaps take the
    > > camera in exchange for another?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Glenn
    > >

    > Hi.
    >
    > I am not sure what the Battery Compartment door on a Rebel looks like.
    >
    > I worked in reception for a Repairer, and snapped off battery doors were
    > very commonplace, so much so that we carried stocks for most of the Popular
    > Cameras. It was a 5 minute job to replace them, and most could be done by
    > just loosening the screws on the base, without any actual dismantling.
    >
    > If you are in the UK, Jessops, or your local dealer will probably have an
    > arrangement with one of the independant repairers. They should be able to
    > get an estimate for your replacement door by phoning.
    >
    > Roy G

    Can you post a picture of what the latching mechanism looks like?
    I have had some luck heat welding these things or replacing the latch
    tongue with a fine screw.
    Used to work for a pro camera repair and it was nice having $300k in
    replacement parts.
    Richard

    spudnuty, Jan 18, 2006
  9. Glenn Dulmage

    Pat Guest

    The camera door is easily removeable. Pull down the little black lever
    on the hinge and it pops out. Get a new one and you can replace it
    yourself. I've ordered parts from
    http://www.huroncamera.com/repair_parts.htm before. Good service and
    quick response. Good luck.

    Pat, Jan 18, 2006
  10. Pat wrote:
    > The camera door is easily removeable. Pull down the little black lever
    > on the hinge and it pops out. Get a new one and you can replace it
    > yourself. I've ordered parts from
    > http://www.huroncamera.com/repair_parts.htm before. Good service and
    > quick response. Good luck.

    Holy crap batman, $15 for that battery cover!
    Thanks for the link dude, I have the same camera!

    Butch Lacadie

    Butch Lacadie, Jan 18, 2006
  11. Glenn Dulmage

    Pat Guest

    It's a snap off design in case you are using the optional battery pack.
    Sometimes you just get lucky. I used them to replace the red IR
    sensor cover on the front of a strobe for about the same price. Beats
    sending it to Cannon for a Do It Yourself job.

    Pat, Jan 18, 2006
  12. Glenn Dulmage

    Roger Wright Guest

    Try SPTS in south Florida.

    http://www.southernphoto.cc/

    Roger Wright

    Roger Wright, Jan 18, 2006
  13. Glenn Dulmage

    Eatmorepies Guest

    "Pat" <> wrote in message
    > The camera door is easily removeable. Pull down the little black lever
    > on the hinge and it pops out. Get a new one and you can replace it
    > yourself. I've ordered parts from

    I've just had a look at my 350D - found the lever, thanks for the tip (in
    case I ever break my battery cover).

    I'm more likely to need a new CF card door because I always take the card
    out to download the pictures. Surely I'm wearing out some little plastic
    catch. Is there a fix if I do wear out that plastic catch?

    John

    Eatmorepies, Jan 18, 2006
  14. Glenn Dulmage

    flebow Guest

    I had a similar situation w my Minolta Dimage 7Hi
    I used gaffers tape to keep the battery door closed
    Its used by film crews

    Fred

    flebow, Jan 18, 2006
  15. Glenn Dulmage

    Skip M Guest

    "Glenn Dulmage" <> wrote in message
    >I have a Canon Digital Rebel which I dropped and damaged the door to the
    >battery compartment. The camera works finem but I have to use it with a
    >rubber band holding the battery door closed.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas of a repair service (not Canon, I have tried them
    > and they are VERY expensive) that could do the repairs or perhaps take the
    > camera in exchange for another?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Glenn

    Check with a local camera store to see it they have a repair facility that
    they recommend, or look in the phone book for a Canon authorized repair
    shop. The Calumet store in San Diego has a repair guy who repaired my Canon
    100mm f2 after it got wet. I'm sure there's somebody local to you who can
    order a replacement door and put it on for you.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Jan 19, 2006
  16. Wow!

    What a response. I have read all and will take your good advice. My
    inclination is to find a dealer who might take it in exchange and give me
    $100 or so off the list price.

    Glenn

    Glenn Dulmage, Jan 19, 2006
  17. Glenn Dulmage

    Tesco News Guest

    > Wow!
    >
    > What a response. I have read all and will take your good advice. My
    > inclination is to find a dealer who might take it in exchange and give me
    > $100 or so off the list price.
    >
    > Glenn
    >
    > "Glenn Dulmage" <> wrote in message
    >>I have a Canon Digital Rebel which I dropped and damaged the door to the
    >>battery compartment. The camera works finem but I have to use it with a
    >>rubber band holding the battery door closed.
    >>
    >> Anyone have any ideas of a repair service (not Canon, I have tried them
    >> and they are VERY expensive) that could do the repairs or perhaps take
    >> the camera in exchange for another?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Glenn

    Hi again.

    You should certainly be able to do that. Especially if the dealer can get a
    replacement door for $15 and fit it himself.

    Roy G

    Tesco News, Jan 20, 2006
  18. Glenn Dulmage

    Al Dykes Guest

    In article <>,
    Pat <> wrote:
    >The camera door is easily removeable. Pull down the little black lever
    >on the hinge and it pops out. Get a new one and you can replace it
    >yourself. I've ordered parts from
    >http://www.huroncamera.com/repair_parts.htm before. Good service and
    >quick response. Good luck.

    The same think happened to my dRebel and I expected it to have to
    spend the rest of it's life wrapped in duct tape,

    I'm in NYC and frequent B&H. A new camera repair place recently opened
    across the street. On a whim I stopped in there and the guy replaced
    the door on the spot for $25. He had a box of exact replacements.

    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

    Al Dykes, Jan 21, 2006