    mostly be internet use, and maybe some 4x6 prints occasionally, what's
    the minimum pixel requirement for such usage?

    will.

    will, Aug 6, 2003

  2. On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 19:07:49 +1200, will <> wrote:

    >i'm looking at buying a digital camera at the moment, images taken will
    >mostly be internet use, and maybe some 4x6 prints occasionally, what's
    >the minimum pixel requirement for such usage?
    >
    >will.

    2 - 3 mpx camera, and with optical zoom.

    At least $600 and up.

    Robert Mathews, Aug 6, 2003

  3. will

    Max Guest

    wrote:

    >i'm looking at buying a digital camera at the moment, images taken will
    >mostly be internet use, and maybe some 4x6 prints occasionally, what's
    >the minimum pixel requirement for such usage?
    >
    >will.

    The higher the MP rating the better. I have heard that about 8MP will
    be equivalent in res to a normal photo. I saw a 3 MP HP camera +
    printer fror about $600 at Noel Lemmings I think, which looked good
    value.

    Max, Aug 6, 2003
  4. On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 23:40:02 +1200, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >says...
    >> i'm looking at buying a digital camera at the moment, images taken will
    >> mostly be internet use, and maybe some 4x6 prints occasionally, what's
    >> the minimum pixel requirement for such usage?

    >640 x 480 is half a megapixel, a fairly cheap camera would do this, even
    >one of those old Sony floppy disk cameras.

    And no good for post card prints

    Robert Mathews, Aug 6, 2003
  5. will wrote:
    > i'm looking at buying a digital camera at the moment, images taken
    > will mostly be internet use, and maybe some 4x6 prints occasionally,
    > what's the minimum pixel requirement for such usage?

    Will, Frogprints have a nice chart explaing different res vs print quality.

    http://www.frogprints.co.nz/help/quality.cfm

    You can go with el cheapo cameras, particularly if most of the shots are for
    the www. I sill use an on 1.2MP camera which does the job fantastically.
    Perhaps even a secondhand one ??

    Good luck mate.

    Robert Mathews, Aug 6, 2003
  6. will

    V Guest

    2 mega-pix would be more than enought for what you will be doing. As
    for optical zoom, it depends if you REALLY NEED the optical zoom. With
    almost $200 price premium for optical zoom model over the non-optical
    zoom counter parts, is it really worth that much? I don't think it
    worth $200 for some people that only want a basic camera for internet
    use.

    V, Aug 6, 2003
  7. On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 10:43:21 +1200, V <> wrote:

    >2 mega-pix would be more than enought for what you will be doing. As
    >for optical zoom, it depends if you REALLY NEED the optical zoom. With
    >almost $200 price premium for optical zoom model over the non-optical
    >zoom counter parts, is it really worth that much? I don't think it
    >worth $200 for some people that only want a basic camera for internet
    >use.

    Please read what he stated "and maybe some 4x6 prints occasionally"
    a bit more than a Web camera don't you think.

    Robert Mathews, Aug 7, 2003
  8. will

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    will <> wrote in

    > i'm looking at buying a digital camera at the moment, images taken will
    > mostly be internet use, and maybe some 4x6 prints occasionally, what's
    > the minimum pixel requirement for such usage?
    >
    > will.

    I have been looking at 4 models for just the same thing and came up with
    the following summary but haven't decided what one to buy. None of them
    have Optical Zoom. At 2 MP Digital zoom is more marketing hype than
    anything else. They are all 2 or 2.1 MP. This is just a summary of the
    notes I made about things that interested me not a detailed summary of the
    camera's themselves

    Samsung Digimax 201 http://www.samsungcamera.com/
    Ascent $325.71 GST Incl, uses MMC or SD cards. Can be used as a card
    reader so you can transfer files between PC's - the camera appears as a
    removable drive. Comes with a carry case but doesn't appear to have a
    built in lens cover. You can down load the manual as PDF.

    Olympus Camedia C150
    Ascent $347.76 GST Incl, uses xD cards which tend to be a lot dearer than
    MMC or SD. Has a cover that slides across lens. Can connect to TV to view
    photo's

    Kodak CX4200
    Warehouse Stationery has a special on at $269.99 GST Incl. Pic's look fine
    printed at about 6x4 on photo paper. Camera looks a little cheap. Has
    built in lens cover.

    Microtek Take it D1
    Ascent $283.49 GST Incl. Seems to do everything but I wondered how much it
    did well. Didn't look into it much more.
    --
    Chris Mayhew using Xnews !

    Chris Mayhew, Aug 7, 2003
  9. will

    Max Guest

    On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 00:03:08 GMT, Chris Mayhew <> wrote:

    >will <> wrote in
    >
    >> i'm looking at buying a digital camera at the moment, images taken will
    >> mostly be internet use, and maybe some 4x6 prints occasionally, what's
    >> the minimum pixel requirement for such usage?
    >>
    >> will.

    >I have been looking at 4 models for just the same thing and came up with
    >the following summary but haven't decided what one to buy. None of them
    >have Optical Zoom. At 2 MP Digital zoom is more marketing hype than
    >anything else. They are all 2 or 2.1 MP. This is just a summary of the
    >notes I made about things that interested me not a detailed summary of the
    >camera's themselves
    >
    >Samsung Digimax 201 http://www.samsungcamera.com/
    >Ascent $325.71 GST Incl, uses MMC or SD cards. Can be used as a card
    >reader so you can transfer files between PC's - the camera appears as a
    >removable drive. Comes with a carry case but doesn't appear to have a
    >built in lens cover. You can down load the manual as PDF.
    >
    >Olympus Camedia C150
    >Ascent $347.76 GST Incl, uses xD cards which tend to be a lot dearer than
    >MMC or SD. Has a cover that slides across lens. Can connect to TV to view
    >photo's
    >
    >Kodak CX4200
    >Warehouse Stationery has a special on at $269.99 GST Incl. Pic's look fine
    >printed at about 6x4 on photo paper. Camera looks a little cheap. Has
    >built in lens cover.
    >
    >Microtek Take it D1
    >Ascent $283.49 GST Incl. Seems to do everything but I wondered how much it
    >did well. Didn't look into it much more.

    Out of those, there is only one well known quality camera brand.
    Olypus do make good cameras, and the extra cost may be worth the piece
    of mind.

    Max, Aug 7, 2003
  10. will

    Max Guest

  11. will

    will Guest

    > http://www.frogprints.co.nz/help/quality.cfm

    #### thanks for all the inputs, this one is particularly informative. i
    guess i'll just pick up a 2.0MP one, which should do what i need. most
    likely it'll be a camera lives in my car's glove box for "those
    moments", as we already have a Nikon for proper photoshoots.

    cheers,

    will.

    will, Aug 7, 2003