Digital Camera Recommendation please

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by S Doughty, Jul 29, 2004.

  1. S Doughty

    S Doughty Guest

    Hi all,

    OK, I've spent 5 hours at CNet, DPreview, Amazon, and more and am now
    offically brain dead. Maybe you guys can help me. I am looking for a
    digital with the following specs, listed by importance:

    Very Important:
    -Compact
    -Excellent print quality (does this always correspond with resolution?
    Or are there other factors?)
    -Simple and easy to use, I don't want to mess with a bunch of
    modes/options to get good pics

    Nice to have:
    -Easy to interface with WinXP, both software and hardware-wise
    -Decent battery life
    -Minimal delay before picture taken
    -Small charger (need something travel friendly)

    Doesn't matter:
    -Movie ability, zoom, other bells and whistles
    -Price

    Anyone have any advice?

    TIA,

    Shauna

    S Doughty, Jul 29, 2004

  2. "S Doughty" <> wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > OK, I've spent 5 hours at CNet, DPreview, Amazon, and more and am now
    > offically brain dead. Maybe you guys can help me. I am looking for a
    > digital with the following specs, listed by importance:

    300D. If money isn't a problem, get the 17-40/4.0 instead of the kit lens.
    The Tamron 28-75/2.8 gets great reviews as an addition to either the kit or
    17-40.

    Other than the compact bit, it's everything you want. And it's quite compact
    for a dSLR.

    > Very Important:
    > -Compact

    The 300D + 17-40 + 50/1.4 fit in my briefcase just fine. Well, with a bit of
    a bulge.

    > -Excellent print quality (does this always correspond with resolution?

    No. Noise matters too. Compact cameras have the same noise at ISO 50 as the
    300D has at ISO 400.

    > Or are there other factors?)
    > -Simple and easy to use, I don't want to mess with a bunch of
    > modes/options to get good pics

    Set the 300D to P mode and go.

    > Nice to have:
    > -Easy to interface with WinXP, both software and hardware-wise

    The 300D works so well with XP I haven't bothered to use my card reader yet,
    even though it's quite slow.

    > -Decent battery life

    Great battery life.

    > -Minimal delay before picture taken

    The consumer cameras all have hideous AF and shutter lag delays. If you buy
    a consumer camera and then move up to the 300D, you'll think you've died and
    gone to heaven. If you have kids, don't even think about a consumer dcam.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Jul 29, 2004

  3. S Doughty

    Sabineellen Guest

    >Very Important:
    >-Compact
    >-Excellent print quality (does this always correspond with resolution?
    >Or are there other factors?)

    Yes. Quite a few.

    >-Simple and easy to use, I don't want to mess with a bunch of
    >modes/options to get good pics

    http://www.operationgadget.com/2004/03/2004_dima_digit.html

    I suggest you choose one of these. The Casio QV-R51 should be a good choice for
    you. Very compact, 5mp, DIMA winning image quality, very easy to use, AA
    batteries and therefore travel friendly and decent battery life (use 2300mah
    NIMH).

    Sabineellen, Jul 29, 2004
  4. S Doughty

    Carol Guest

    Exilim S3 !!!!!

    Carol, Jul 29, 2004
  5. S Doughty

    Don R Guest

    You are just going to get more confused, I am afraid. Look at the new
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC70. Incredible little camera. Fits in your pocket, no
    problem. Steve's reviews were outstanding for this camera, and I agree. I
    bought 2, one for my daughter, but may sell one, as she insists on an SLR.
    But definitely keeping mine as a travel camera to go with my SLR.

    Don R, Jul 30, 2004
  6. S Doughty

    Sabineellen Guest

    > Look at the new
    >Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC70.

    isn't it quite expensive for what it does?

    Sabineellen, Jul 30, 2004
  7. S Doughty

    S Doughty Guest

    Thanks for your input everyone!

    Shauna

    S Doughty, Jul 30, 2004
  8. S Doughty

    Don R Guest

    Roughly $200. Great price for a 4 mp camera.

    Don R, Jul 31, 2004
  9. "S Doughty" <> wrote in message

    > Anyone have any advice?

    Two pieces of advice:

    Check http://dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php ,

    Use the following search criteria: 5+ megapixel, Compact Flash, Proprietary
    Battery, AF-Assist Lamp (extremely important!), and "Recent Model."

    Of these results, you narrow it down based on the type of camera you want:

    Ultracompact: Canon S500
    Sub-Compact: Canon S60
    Compact: Canon G5
    SLR "Like": Olympus C-8080
    Amateur SLR: Canon EOS-300D or Nikon D70
    Prosumer SLR: Canon EOS-10D or Nikon D100

    Also see: http://digitalcamerashortlist.com, which is my site.

    I like the dcresourse.com page because it lets you include the crucial
    AF-Assist Lamp in the search criteria. Do not select a digital camera that
    lacks this feature--you will regret it. Compact Flash is the preferred
    storage method, and is widely available on everything except some of the
    very small cameras. Proprietary Li-Ion batteries are a better choice than
    the AA NiMH batteries, but nearly every high-end camera will include Li-Ion
    batteries and charger.

    Steven M. Scharf, Jul 31, 2004