    400 range, with good picture quality, fast focus, preferably
    replaceable batteries (eg AA), and no known quality issues ?

    Thanks !

    Amamba, Mar 24, 2005

  2. Amamba

    Denis Marier Guest

    Have a look at the HP 707 5.01MP.
    While its not an iconic camera like Canon and others it performs well in all
    occasions.
    You should read all the specifications and compare them.
    I have compared photos taken with the HP 707 and other well known cameras
    and I had nothing to envy at all. You should compare the photos taken from
    various cameras before buying. As for Fuji I had the same problem as the
    one you had.

    Denis Marier, Mar 24, 2005

  3. Amamba

    Roger Guest

    On 24 Mar 2005 12:01:33 -0800, "Amamba" <> wrote:

    >I bought Fuji E550 around New Year's, based on my research on Google.
    >
    >Great camera .. while it lived. Was dead 2 months later with lense
    >stuck midway. Google revealed it to be a common problem with Fuji
    >cameras. Luckily, I bought it at Costco and they took it back without
    >me having to go through the warranty nightmare.
    >
    >My second choice was Canon A95, until I found out about the E18 error,
    >which seems to be the same exact lense problem that Fuji has. Poop.
    >
    >So, can anybody recommend a good 5 - 6 MP digital camera in the $350 -
    >400 range, with good picture quality, fast focus, preferably
    >replaceable batteries (eg AA), and no known quality issues ?
    >
    >Thanks !

    I can't meet all your requirements with this recommendation, but I use
    a Canon S60 (with a spare battery) and find it a very capable camera.
    It always goes with me either as a stand alone camera or backup to a
    more "professional" system. Either way it gets a lot of use, often
    provides my only 28mm equiv fov lens and strobe. The strobe is
    adequate for close work and has some nice features such and
    independent exposure compensation and bracketing. This is a feature
    rich camera with a few scene modes. So you can use it as a P&S or
    configure it to your heart's content and save the settings in a custom
    mode for future use. I use the custom setting for a street,
    hyperfocal, snapshot mode that requires minimum focus time.

    I'm an equipment junkie but I haven't thought about another P&S
    digital since I bought this one. As far as the battery goes, it gets
    very good mileage out of a singe rechargeable battery. The charger
    that comes with the camera is very compact and with a spare battery I
    can recharge at nearly any shaver outlet in the world and have a day's
    worth of shooting in the fresh one and another days backup in the
    second.

    The camera can record images in RAW mode. Just a very, very capable
    camera. I'd be pleased to have this kind of control in a DSLR with of
    course a bit better lens.

    Regards,
    Roger

    Roger, Mar 24, 2005
  4. Amamba

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Amamba wrote:
    > I bought Fuji E550 around New Year's, based on my research on Google.
    >
    > Great camera .. while it lived. Was dead 2 months later with lense
    > stuck midway. Google revealed it to be a common problem with Fuji
    > cameras. Luckily, I bought it at Costco and they took it back without
    > me having to go through the warranty nightmare.
    >
    > My second choice was Canon A95, until I found out about the E18 error,
    > which seems to be the same exact lense problem that Fuji has. Poop.
    >
    > So, can anybody recommend a good 5 - 6 MP digital camera in the $350 -
    > 400 range, with good picture quality, fast focus, preferably
    > replaceable batteries (eg AA), and no known quality issues ?
    >
    > Thanks !

    Sure, and I'll toss in a car that goes 100,000 miles on a tank of gas,
    and costs less than $10,000 too.

    You might check out the Kodak 4530, if you can still find one. Comes
    pretty close to your list, but NO camera exists with 'no known quality
    issues'. They are all made by human beings, they WILL fail.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Mar 25, 2005
  5. Amamba

    Amamba Guest

    Well, there are different "quality issues". I'm referring to ones that
    are known to be rather persistent and widespread. Like "zoom error" in
    Fujis and "E18" in Canons , or the "digitizer bug" in early iPaqs. To
    the point that if you buy the product you are almost guaranteed to have
    this problem.

    My experience with Kodak digitals was rather limited (I didn't own one,
    but a few of my friends did). They all seemed to suffer from slow
    startup and focus.

    I will check out HP 707. I also looked at Minolta G600 but I read that
    its battery doesn't last long enough.

    Amamba, Mar 25, 2005
  6. Amamba

    Denis Marier Guest

    While checking the HP 707 look at the panoramic functions,adaptive lighting,
    white balance
    and red eyes removal build into the camera.

    Denis Marier, Mar 25, 2005
  7. Amamba

    Confused Guest

    In message <g2O0e.8938$>
    Ron Hunter <> wrote:

    > Sure, and I'll toss in a car that goes 100,000 miles on a
    > tank of gas, and costs less than $10,000 too.

    Sold! What's the address and total price?

    (You can keep the camera... :)

    ô¿ô

    Confused, Mar 25, 2005
  8. Amamba

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Amamba wrote:
    > Well, there are different "quality issues". I'm referring to ones that
    > are known to be rather persistent and widespread. Like "zoom error" in
    > Fujis and "E18" in Canons , or the "digitizer bug" in early iPaqs. To
    > the point that if you buy the product you are almost guaranteed to have
    > this problem.
    >
    > My experience with Kodak digitals was rather limited (I didn't own one,
    > but a few of my friends did). They all seemed to suffer from slow
    > startup and focus.
    >
    > I will check out HP 707. I also looked at Minolta G600 but I read that
    > its battery doesn't last long enough.

    My Kodak DX6440 starts up in about 4 seconds (about medium for similar
    cameras), but I have never noticed any slow focus in about 1700 pictures
    I have taken in the past year. Most newer camera models have much
    better battery life than the ones of just a couple of years ago.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Mar 26, 2005
  9. Amamba

    Amamba Guest

    It',s probably a small gasoline-powered model about the size of a match
    box. He'll sell it for $9,999.00.

    Amamba, Mar 26, 2005
  10. Amamba

    Amamba Guest

    Well, the now-deceased Fuji E550 started up in just about a second, and
    there was virtually no delay between pressing on trigger button &
    actually taking the shot (of course, once it was focused). The Kodaks
    that I've tried had some delay, long enough that taking pictures of 2
    year olds running around was close to impossible. The 4 sec start up is
    about what I've experienced with them, too. Now I'm sure they are great
    overall cameras, but taking pictures of active little children requires
    pretty quick reaction time from both the operator and the eqipment.

    Really, what I am looking for is the camera with E550-like specs and
    picture quality but without that lense design flaw. I will definitely
    check out HP R707; so far the only drawback seems to be its proprietary
    battery.

    Amamba, Mar 26, 2005
  11. Amamba

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Amamba wrote:
    > Well, the now-deceased Fuji E550 started up in just about a second, and
    > there was virtually no delay between pressing on trigger button &
    > actually taking the shot (of course, once it was focused). The Kodaks
    > that I've tried had some delay, long enough that taking pictures of 2
    > year olds running around was close to impossible. The 4 sec start up is
    > about what I've experienced with them, too. Now I'm sure they are great
    > overall cameras, but taking pictures of active little children requires
    > pretty quick reaction time from both the operator and the eqipment.
    >
    > Really, what I am looking for is the camera with E550-like specs and
    > picture quality but without that lense design flaw. I will definitely
    > check out HP R707; so far the only drawback seems to be its proprietary
    > battery.

    Taking pictures of active children is a challenge with ANY camera.
    Unless you want to spend $1000 or more, you WILL have this problem. I
    find that a flash, and a bit of anticipation, makes photos of children a
    bit less frustrating. This is one of the few applications where 'movie
    modes' on P&S cameras is actually useful.
    On my Kodak DX6440 focusing usually takes less than a second, and there
    is no perceptible delay in taking the shot after focusing, but that
    second often means the children have left the state. Grin.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Mar 26, 2005
  12. Amamba

    Amamba Guest

    Well, I tried HP R707 and, honestly, didn't like it. The camera itself
    is very nicely made, and the help system is wonderful; it also has lots
    of nice features like Adaptive Lighting, so it may be a very good
    camera to use outdoors. Indoors, however, it wasn't all that great.
    About 50% of all kids pictures I took were out of focus (despite
    spending lots of time tinkering with different modes), and the ones
    that were in focus definitely weren't anywhere near E550's quality.
    Back to the store. It's a pity, though, because it has a very nice
    rugged feel, something most other models are missing.

    I finally got Sony W1 and so far am pleased with it, although I've only
    tried it for about a dozen shots of still objects (kids are asleep, and
    waking them up to take a few pictures is not a good option :). The
    stills are a bit on the soft side but virtually noiseless, and colors
    are very nice. The LCD display is huge - you could play movies on it,
    and the shutter speed seems to be very good. Also uses rechargeable
    AAs, which is a must if you travel a lot. The price wasn't bad - $299
    at Costco (they bundle in a Sony case and a tripod) and I saw it on
    the web for $260-270.

    Thanks to everybody who replied to my question.

    Amamba, Mar 31, 2005