    --
    Es ist nichts schrecklicher als eine tätige Unwissenheit.

    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    Ockham's Razor, Oct 24, 2007

  2. Ockham's Razor

    bugbear Guest

    Ockham's Razor wrote:
    > 1. what happens when the ISO is changed? I know the camera becomes more
    > or less light sensitive, but what adjustments does the camera make?

    The simply extrapolates the small number of photons
    captured, which leads to noise.

    > 2. What is white balance and how should it be set for general use?

    Auto.

    BugBear
    bugbear, Oct 24, 2007

  3. Ockham's Razor

    Marvin Guest

    Ockham's Razor wrote:
    > 1. what happens when the ISO is changed? I know the camera becomes more
    > or less light sensitive, but what adjustments does the camera make?

    The amplification of the signal as it is read from the
    sensor is increased or decreased in proportion to the iSO
    setting,
    > 2. What is white balance and how should it be set for general use?

    Just use Auto.
    Marvin, Oct 24, 2007
  4. Ockham's Razor

    Chuck Guest

    A complicated answer to what happens when the ISO setting is changed on a
    digital camera--
    The range of light intensity in a given situation may be considerably larger
    than the range that the sensor can represent. When the ISO setting is
    changed, the "window" that the sensor can represent changes position within
    the total light range in the situation.
    Reasons for doing this are based upon what portion of the total range is of
    interest.
    Amplifier gain and sensor Bias may be changed.

    White balance is used to make white "white" under different lighting
    conditions, or, to change the overall color balance as a matter of choice.
    For instance, a picture shot with flash illumination vs. natural ambient
    lighting will appear quite different. Changing the cameras white balance and
    or "color temperature" can compensate. Some digital cameras will
    automatically change white balance, others use a default setting that can
    often be user adjusted.

    Chuck, Oct 24, 2007