    Also, I am totally aware that the Hubble sees in more spectrums than visible
    light, so I guess we can leave those other portions out of the discussion
    and just concentrate on the visible light portions.

    Eigenvector, Aug 19, 2003

  2. Eigenvector

    John O. Guest

    > How would
    > something like a current commercial model compare to the imaging system that
    > is in the Hubble Space Telescope.

    holy shit
    --
    John O.
    There is no slack in light attack.

    John O., Aug 19, 2003

  3. Eigenvector

    Graham Guest

    Eigenvector wrote:
    > How would something like a current commercial model compare to the
    > imaging system that is in the Hubble Space Telescope.

    http://www.digicamhistory.com/1990.html

    Scroll down to Hubble.

    Graham, Aug 19, 2003
  4. Eigenvector

    Eigenvector Guest

    "Graham" <> wrote in message
    > Eigenvector wrote:
    > > How would something like a current commercial model compare to the
    > > imaging system that is in the Hubble Space Telescope.

    > http://www.digicamhistory.com/1990.html
    >
    > Scroll down to Hubble.

    So if I read that right, then the Hubble is pushing about 2.5 Megapixels on
    a much larger imaging unit. It sounds as though the Hubble is still
    slightly ahead of current technology, but its becoming a very close race.
    Very interesting, obviously there are other huge benefits working for it as
    well, but the basic CCD unit is still fairly advanced by today's standards.

    Eigenvector, Aug 20, 2003
  5. Eigenvector

    Eigenvector Guest

    "Don" <> wrote in message
    > Eigenvector wrote:
    >
    > > How does a current market "best" camera compare to astronomical models.

    > There are astronomical CCD cameras which are far better performance wise
    > than consumer CCD cameras. I'm not talking Hubble here, just "run of the
    > mill" equipment for amateur astronomers.
    >
    > Check out: http://www.sbig.com/ for example.
    >
    > Don

    You know its expensive when you have to sign the contract before ordering
    and it requires 25% down before anything happens. The thing probably isn't
    even useful in daylight conditions...

    Eigenvector, Aug 20, 2003
  6. "Paul Repacholi" <> wrote in message
    > "Eigenvector" <> writes:
    >
    > > So if I read that right, then the Hubble is pushing about 2.5
    > > Megapixels on a much larger imaging unit. It sounds as though the
    > > Hubble is still slightly ahead of current technology, but its
    > > becoming a very close race. Very interesting, obviously there are
    > > other huge benefits working for it as well, but the basic CCD unit
    > > is still fairly advanced by today's standards.

    I was looking through the current issue of Popular Science at the
    barbershop. It showed some digital pix with science content. One was from
    a ground-based telescope with a sensor said to have a few hundred Mp (I
    forgot the exact number). Some of the articles from that issue are on their
    Web site, but not this one.

    Marvin Margoshes, Aug 21, 2003