Digital Camera problem - can't download pictures

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tforms1@yahoo.com, Nov 17, 2008.

  1. Guest

    My friend is having a problem downloading his pictures on his camera.
    He has a Canon - 850 IS.

    He tried the wire that came with the camera (I dont remember what
    happened) but it did not work.

    So I brought MY USB flash card reader, and put his card into the
    drive.
    I usually just plug my card in the USB reader and use windows explorer
    to go to the directory and copy the files.
    When I used windows explorer (he is running vista) to go to the
    directory, Vista crashed with the "DCIM has stopped working, windows
    is trying to fix" message.

    So I plugged it into my computer, and when I used windows explorer (I
    am using XP) to go to the directory, it was empty.

    He bought a USB flash card reader also...and same results, it does not
    work.
    Crashes in vista, and in XP, the card is empty.

    But when you put the card in the camera, you can see the pictures.

    Any ideas on what the problem could be?

    Thanks

    , Nov 17, 2008

  2. ray Guest

    On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 14:34:02 -0800, tforms1 wrote:

    > My friend is having a problem downloading his pictures on his camera. He
    > has a Canon - 850 IS.
    >
    > He tried the wire that came with the camera (I dont remember what
    > happened) but it did not work.
    >
    > So I brought MY USB flash card reader, and put his card into the drive.
    > I usually just plug my card in the USB reader and use windows explorer
    > to go to the directory and copy the files. When I used windows explorer
    > (he is running vista) to go to the directory, Vista crashed with the
    > "DCIM has stopped working, windows is trying to fix" message.

    Fairly high liklihood that MS messed it up - could have reformatted.
    Suggest you try some file recovery software.

    It's really good to have the process worked out before transferring
    'keeper' photos.

    > So I plugged it into my computer, and when I used windows explorer (I am
    > using XP) to go to the directory, it was empty.
    >
    > He bought a USB flash card reader also...and same results, it does not
    > work.
    > Crashes in vista, and in XP, the card is empty.
    >
    > But when you put the card in the camera, you can see the pictures.
    >
    > Any ideas on what the problem could be?

    If you have a friend running Linux, he can probably retrieve them for you.
    MS always figures it is a hell of a lot smarter than you are.

    ray, Nov 17, 2008

  3. J. Clarke Guest

    ray wrote:
    > On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 14:34:02 -0800, tforms1 wrote:
    >
    >> My friend is having a problem downloading his pictures on his
    >> camera. He has a Canon - 850 IS.
    >>
    >> He tried the wire that came with the camera (I dont remember what
    >> happened) but it did not work.
    >>
    >> So I brought MY USB flash card reader, and put his card into the
    >> drive. I usually just plug my card in the USB reader and use
    >> windows
    >> explorer to go to the directory and copy the files. When I used
    >> windows explorer (he is running vista) to go to the directory,
    >> Vista
    >> crashed with the "DCIM has stopped working, windows is trying to
    >> fix" message.

    > Fairly high liklihood that MS messed it up - could have reformatted.
    > Suggest you try some file recovery software.
    >
    > It's really good to have the process worked out before transferring
    > 'keeper' photos.
    >

    >> So I plugged it into my computer, and when I used windows explorer
    >> (I am using XP) to go to the directory, it was empty.
    >>
    >> He bought a USB flash card reader also...and same results, it does
    >> not work.
    >> Crashes in vista, and in XP, the card is empty.
    >>
    >> But when you put the card in the camera, you can see the pictures.
    >>
    >> Any ideas on what the problem could be?

    > If you have a friend running Linux, he can probably retrieve them
    > for
    > you. MS always figures it is a hell of a lot smarter than you are.
    >

    >> Thanks

    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    J. Clarke, Nov 18, 2008
  4. John S Guest

    On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 14:34:02 -0800 (PST), wrote:

    > My friend is having a problem downloading his pictures on his camera.
    > He has a Canon - 850 IS.
    >
    > He tried the wire that came with the camera (I dont remember what
    > happened) but it did not work.
    >
    > So I brought MY USB flash card reader, and put his card into the
    > drive.
    > I usually just plug my card in the USB reader and use windows explorer
    > to go to the directory and copy the files.
    > When I used windows explorer (he is running vista) to go to the
    > directory, Vista crashed with the "DCIM has stopped working, windows
    > is trying to fix" message.
    >
    > So I plugged it into my computer, and when I used windows explorer (I
    > am using XP) to go to the directory, it was empty.
    >
    > He bought a USB flash card reader also...and same results, it does not
    > work.
    > Crashes in vista, and in XP, the card is empty.
    >
    > But when you put the card in the camera, you can see the pictures.
    >
    > Any ideas on what the problem could be?
    >
    > Thanks

    Well, with the two Canon cameras in my family (S3IS and SX100) you can't
    download the picture files using the USB cable with Windows Explorer - you
    have to install the Canon Zoombrowser software (using the CD supplied with
    the camera) onto your computer first. If you haven't got the CD you can
    download the software from the Canon web site.

    It's a bit annoying really, but the Zoombrowser software works well once
    installed, and detects the camera as soon as you plug it in, and opens the
    software ready to download.

    Of course, your friend's 850 IS camera may not be the same, but I suspect
    it will be.

    Not sure why your friend's card couldn't be read by the card reader, but
    not all card readers are created equal. One simple thing to try would be
    to take the card to a photo print bureau - one of those do-it-yourself
    machines, and see if the bureau machine will read the card. They are
    designed to be able to read just about anything.

    Anyway, as you say the pictures can still be viewed in the camera, the
    files on the card must still be OK.

    cheers,

    John S

    John S, Nov 18, 2008
  5. Dave Cohen Guest

    John S wrote:
    > On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 14:34:02 -0800 (PST), wrote:
    >
    >> My friend is having a problem downloading his pictures on his camera.
    >> He has a Canon - 850 IS.
    >>
    >> He tried the wire that came with the camera (I dont remember what
    >> happened) but it did not work.
    >>
    >> So I brought MY USB flash card reader, and put his card into the
    >> drive.
    >> I usually just plug my card in the USB reader and use windows explorer
    >> to go to the directory and copy the files.
    >> When I used windows explorer (he is running vista) to go to the
    >> directory, Vista crashed with the "DCIM has stopped working, windows
    >> is trying to fix" message.
    >>
    >> So I plugged it into my computer, and when I used windows explorer (I
    >> am using XP) to go to the directory, it was empty.
    >>
    >> He bought a USB flash card reader also...and same results, it does not
    >> work.
    >> Crashes in vista, and in XP, the card is empty.
    >>
    >> But when you put the card in the camera, you can see the pictures.
    >>
    >> Any ideas on what the problem could be?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > Well, with the two Canon cameras in my family (S3IS and SX100) you can't
    > download the picture files using the USB cable with Windows Explorer - you
    > have to install the Canon Zoombrowser software (using the CD supplied with
    > the camera) onto your computer first. If you haven't got the CD you can
    > download the software from the Canon web site.
    >
    > It's a bit annoying really, but the Zoombrowser software works well once
    > installed, and detects the camera as soon as you plug it in, and opens the
    > software ready to download.
    >
    > Of course, your friend's 850 IS camera may not be the same, but I suspect
    > it will be.
    >
    > Not sure why your friend's card couldn't be read by the card reader, but
    > not all card readers are created equal. One simple thing to try would be
    > to take the card to a photo print bureau - one of those do-it-yourself
    > machines, and see if the bureau machine will read the card. They are
    > designed to be able to read just about anything.
    >
    > Anyway, as you say the pictures can still be viewed in the camera, the
    > files on the card must still be OK.
    >
    > cheers,
    >
    > John S

    You don't have to have the zoombrowser program installed. Canon do
    supply a driver (WIA) but I don't need to load it for my A95, that
    driver is part of winxp, it has to do with winxp being able to recognize
    devices which don't get assigned a drive letter but rather use something
    called MTP which I'm guessing means 'media transfer protocol'. My Sanza
    ..mp3 player can be configured to work in this mode or in an alternative
    mode that treats the device as a flash drive.
    Now having said that, I went to use my old A40 (now the wife's) and that
    wasn't recognized by winxp and I can't locate the original cd.
    Most cameras are simply recognized by winxp as a normal usb device and
    get assigned a drive letter. I don't know why canon insist on not going
    this route.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Nov 18, 2008