Digital Camera Predictions

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John C, Feb 4, 2004.

  1. John C

    John C Guest

    I found this old message while doing some research on older pro-digital cameras.

    >> I was just reading on dpreview.com about "Kodak's" newest professional
    >> camera, the DCS 760. The link to the review says "The DCS 760 looks to be
    >> serious competition to Nikon's recently announced D1X...", but, in the
    >> review there's a picture of the DCS 760. The camera says "Nikon" across the
    >> popup flash. Can Kodak really compete with Nikon when they use a Nikon
    >> camera to build their DCS 760? Kodak and Nikon must have some kind of an
    >> agreement, right?

    >Wrong newsgroup! Try rec.photo.digital. Kodak also uses Canon's
    >in some of their digi cam offerings like the DCS-560. The point
    >is moot, as the Kodak's are very expensive this camera will be
    >more expensive that the $23,000.00 DCS 560. Kodak's serious new
    >competition is the new unnamed Pentax 6 megapixel camera that
    >uses a new 24x36 Phillips CCD. This full frame sensor will kill
    >all the half-frame sensors in current cameras. With any of the
    >current Kodak DCS, Nikon D1, Canon D30 and Fuji S1 your lenses
    >will be magnified by 2x, so you lose all your wide-angle lenses.

    The orginal post is from March of 2001...
    It was shortly there after that I bought my first pro-digital, yes the above
    mentioned Kodak DCS 760. Of course it wasn't "more expensive than the $23,000
    DCS 560" it was $7000. And the where is the killer "Pentax 6 megapixel"?

    So what's my point? I don't know, maybe it's that we shouldn't so quick to dispense
    advice. Or maybe it's just fun to look back and see how much the digital world has
    changed in such a short period of time. Now should I buy the $23,000 DCS 560 or the
    $800 Digital Rebel?
    John C, Feb 4, 2004

  2. John C

    steve Guest

    I'll bet NASA will consider a bid on the Hubble. Now theres a long lens!

    steve

    steve, Feb 4, 2004

  3. One prediction is that the distinction between digital still
    cameras and digital movie/video cameras will disappear, as all
    digital still cameras will also be able to capture video clips
    or movies.

    Another is that prices will keep going down, so digital cameras
    will become ubiquitous and will be built into other devices.
    We're seeing this already in the mobile phones and PDAs.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.
    Hans-Georg Michna, Feb 4, 2004
  4. John C

    KBob Guest

    On 3 Feb 2004 18:04:56 -0800, (John C) wrote:

    >I found this old message while doing some research on older pro-digital cameras.
    >
    >>> I was just reading on dpreview.com about "Kodak's" newest professional
    >>> camera, the DCS 760. The link to the review says "The DCS 760 looks to be
    >>> serious competition to Nikon's recently announced D1X...", but, in the
    >>> review there's a picture of the DCS 760. The camera says "Nikon" across the
    >>> popup flash. Can Kodak really compete with Nikon when they use a Nikon
    >>> camera to build their DCS 760? Kodak and Nikon must have some kind of an
    >>> agreement, right?

    >>Wrong newsgroup! Try rec.photo.digital. Kodak also uses Canon's
    >>in some of their digi cam offerings like the DCS-560. The point
    >>is moot, as the Kodak's are very expensive this camera will be
    >>more expensive that the $23,000.00 DCS 560. Kodak's serious new
    >>competition is the new unnamed Pentax 6 megapixel camera that
    >>uses a new 24x36 Phillips CCD. This full frame sensor will kill
    >>all the half-frame sensors in current cameras. With any of the
    >>current Kodak DCS, Nikon D1, Canon D30 and Fuji S1 your lenses
    >>will be magnified by 2x, so you lose all your wide-angle lenses.

    >The orginal post is from March of 2001...
    >It was shortly there after that I bought my first pro-digital, yes the above
    >mentioned Kodak DCS 760. Of course it wasn't "more expensive than the $23,000
    >DCS 560" it was $7000. And the where is the killer "Pentax 6 megapixel"?
    >
    >So what's my point? I don't know, maybe it's that we shouldn't so quick to dispense
    >advice. Or maybe it's just fun to look back and see how much the digital world has
    >changed in such a short period of time. Now should I buy the $23,000 DCS 560 or the
    >$800 Digital Rebel?

    I'd boldly predict that at least for the time being we're going to be
    seeing an upper limit for CCDs at about where the Kodak DCS pro backs,
    14n etc. are right now. With a resolution of about 80 lp/mm, they are
    challenging lens quality to the point where substantial improvements
    in that area will be needed to reap further benefits from increases in
    CCD resolution. Unfortunately we are not seeing substantial
    improvements in lens quality--rather more wide-range zoom lenses,
    superwides etc., and none of these are decent resolvers.

    Also I'd predict that build quality will continue to diminish. Hell,
    I thought the D100 was pretty junky until I saw a Canon 10D up close &
    personal (the 1DS is another matter altogether). The D70 promises to
    be a further demise in quality with yet more plastic and paint. Also
    there's no reason to doubt that lens build quality will also diminish,
    although that seems hard to imagine at this point with painted-on
    f-numbers, gritty plastic shells and wrinkle-finish paint substituting
    for traditional quality finishes and engraving. But then as Hearst
    noted, "no one ever lost money underestimating public taste." Must
    apply to cameras, too, don't you think?
    KBob, Feb 4, 2004
  5. John C

    Jim Waggener Guest

    "K>
    > Also I'd predict that build quality will continue to diminish. Hell,
    > I thought the D100 was pretty junky until I saw a Canon 10D up close &
    > personal (the 1DS is another matter altogether). The D70 promises to
    > be a further demise in quality with yet more plastic and paint. Also
    > there's no reason to doubt that lens build quality will also diminish,
    > although that seems hard to imagine at this point with painted-on
    > f-numbers, gritty plastic shells and wrinkle-finish paint substituting
    > for traditional quality finishes and engraving. But then as Hearst
    > noted, "no one ever lost money underestimating public taste." Must
    > apply to cameras, too, don't you think?

    But you get no "brassing" with plastic. It is lighter and stronger than a
    metal body.
    You need to upgrade your thinking.

    Jim Waggener, Feb 4, 2004
  6. Checked into Leica's idea for a digital back for the R8/9? I think the
    quality build will be there. The lenses will not change. That might be a
    bad thing for those wanting autofocus. Not sure if the photo quality will
    be up to the likes of Canon or Nikon, however. Wait and see.

    Aram

    Aram Langhans, Feb 5, 2004
  7. John C

    KBob Guest

    On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 18:57:36 -0500, "Jim Waggener" <>
    wrote:

    >"K>
    >> Also I'd predict that build quality will continue to diminish. Hell,
    >> I thought the D100 was pretty junky until I saw a Canon 10D up close &
    >> personal (the 1DS is another matter altogether). The D70 promises to
    >> be a further demise in quality with yet more plastic and paint. Also
    >> there's no reason to doubt that lens build quality will also diminish,
    >> although that seems hard to imagine at this point with painted-on
    >> f-numbers, gritty plastic shells and wrinkle-finish paint substituting
    >> for traditional quality finishes and engraving. But then as Hearst
    >> noted, "no one ever lost money underestimating public taste." Must
    >> apply to cameras, too, don't you think?

    >But you get no "brassing" with plastic. It is lighter and stronger than a
    >metal body.
    >You need to upgrade your thinking.

    Maybe so, but I still cling to the outdated idea of old-fashioned
    quality that can be seen in the appearance of the product. Cameras
    may be regarded as disposable because of their quick obsolescence, but
    this notion should not apply to lenses. I say a pox on all this
    plastic crap and call a spade a spade...

    KBob, Feb 5, 2004