    Nikon Coolpix 5400 but it does not seem to have a movie mode.I think
    from $400 to $600 will get the quality they want.

    Thanks.
    Roger Fuherdenhaden, Feb 20, 2004

  2. Roger Fuherdenhaden

    GLC1173 Guest

    Roger wrote:
    >Please give me some ideas for a bud on >a good dig. camera. It will be their
    >first but they want a decent one. I think >the $350 range is a little too

    cheap.
    >They seem to be small and pretty but not >solid and with the best features.

    Haunt eBay! You see barely-used quasi-SLR ones - like the excellent Sony
    DSC-D770 - in the $250-300 range, a fraction of their original retail price.
    That one would be a great choice if they want something with - almost - the
    same capabilities of a film SLR (but one fixed zoom lens, 28-140mm).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    <B>Dissident news - plus immigration, gun rights, nationwide weather
    <I><A HREF="http://www.alamanceind.com">ALAMANCE INDEPENDENT:
    official newspaper of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy</A></b></i>
    GLC1173, Feb 20, 2004

  3. Roger Fuherdenhaden

    AArDvarK Guest

    Excellent still image quality and the best movie-
    mode is Kyocera cameras. With it you can fill up
    an entire card with a movie @640x480(ntsc) with
    no time limitions @ 30 fps. Read about that at
    these two sites:
    http://www.dpreview.com/ (has side-by-side views)
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/default.htm (best
    sample images) One of them is two section hinged
    like your 900 and my 950. But I think you'd need an
    expensive fast and large capacity card for it, for movies.
    Good prices on Ebay.

    Alex

    AArDvarK, Feb 21, 2004
  4. Roger Fuherdenhaden

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 12:06:25 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "Roger
    Fuherdenhaden" <xxxx@ii> wrote:

    >Also, I think it should have a decent movie mode of some type. I like the
    >Nikon Coolpix 5400 but it does not seem to have a movie mode.I think
    >from $400 to $600 will get the quality they want.

    5400 from http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Nikon/nikon_cp5400.asp

    Movie Clips Yes, 640 x 480 up to 70 sec, 320 x 240 up to 180 sec
    (both 15 fps with audio)
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://members.cox.net/egruf
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam
    Ed Ruf, Feb 21, 2004
  5. Hi Roger,

    << Please give me some ideas for a bud on a good dig. camera. It will be their
    first but they want a decent one. >>

    Well, it won't be their last.

    Try www.dpreview.com and check prices, cameras and reviews.

    Best,

    Conrad

    Conrad Weiler
    Camp Sherman, Oregon
    Conrad Weiler, Feb 21, 2004
  6. Roger Fuherdenhaden

    Mark Herring Guest

    On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 12:06:25 -0700, "Roger Fuherdenhaden" <xxxx@ii>
    wrote:

    >Please give me some ideas for a bud on a good dig. camera. It will be their
    >first but they want a decent one. I think the $350 range is a little too cheap.
    >They seem to be small and pretty but not solid and with the best features.
    >
    >I have a Coolpix 900(great but getting dated) and a newer small Coolpix
    >for my daughter.
    >
    >3 best brands? Nikon-Olympus-Canon?
    >
    >Also, I think it should have a decent movie mode of some type. I like the
    >Nikon Coolpix 5400 but it does not seem to have a movie mode.I think
    >from $400 to $600 will get the quality they want.
    >
    >Thanks.

    With the rebate, you can now get the Nikon 5700 for under $600. I'm
    drooling.

    My search order would be 1) Canon, 2) Nikon, 3) everyone else

    In your price range, 5Mp is doable. Note the two sensor sizes: For
    example, the 5400 is a 1/1.8, and the 5700 is a 2/3. The larger
    sensor will have higher performance
    Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
    Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".
    Mark Herring, Feb 21, 2004