    also my webcam no longer works-its application says another device is using
    the camera but there is no other device

    im using com ports 1 and 2 for them
    jason, Jun 22, 2004

  2. jason

    jason Guest

    "jason" <> wrote in message news:cb99i3$r83$...
    > im using win98
    > i tried to upload some new photos to my pc using Camedia for my Olympus
    > camera
    > the application says it cant find a camera on the usb port
    >
    > also my webcam no longer works-its application says another device is

    using
    > the camera but there is no other device
    >
    > im using com ports 1 and 2 for them

    also, my portable usb drive no longer works on eithr port :(
    jason, Jun 22, 2004

  3. jason

    Allen_L Guest

    In news:cb9bdj$hrl$,
    jason <> typed:
    > "jason" <> wrote in message
    >> im using win98
    >> i tried to upload some new photos to my pc using Camedia for my
    >> Olympus camera
    >> the application says it cant find a camera on the usb port
    >>
    >> also my webcam no longer works-its application says another device
    >> is using the camera but there is no other device
    >>
    >> im using com ports 1 and 2 for them
    >>

    > also, my portable usb drive no longer works on eithr port :(

    Probaby should go to Device Mgr. and Delete the USB Controllers (all of
    them) and then re-boot and let the system find them and install fresh again.
    Sounds like you have some conflicts. Using Win98 you *might* have to go into
    Safe Mode to do this, I'm not for certain, as it's been awhile for me and
    Win98. You do want to delete *all* the USB entries, and it may only be
    possible to see all of them in Safe Mode in order to delete them.

    ....Allen
    Allen_L, Jun 22, 2004
  4. jason

    jason Guest

    "Allen_L" <> wrote in message
    > In news:cb9bdj$hrl$,
    > jason <> typed:
    > > "jason" <> wrote in message
    > >> im using win98
    > >> i tried to upload some new photos to my pc using Camedia for my
    > >> Olympus camera
    > >> the application says it cant find a camera on the usb port
    > >>
    > >> also my webcam no longer works-its application says another device
    > >> is using the camera but there is no other device
    > >>
    > >> im using com ports 1 and 2 for them
    > >>

    > > also, my portable usb drive no longer works on eithr port :(

    > Probaby should go to Device Mgr. and Delete the USB Controllers (all of
    > them) and then re-boot and let the system find them and install fresh

    again.
    > Sounds like you have some conflicts. Using Win98 you *might* have to go

    into
    > Safe Mode to do this, I'm not for certain, as it's been awhile for me and
    > Win98. You do want to delete *all* the USB entries, and it may only be
    > possible to see all of them in Safe Mode in order to delete them.
    >
    > ...Allen

    will that require the win98 disk? because its been stolen.......

    jason, Jun 22, 2004
  5. jason

    Beachcomber Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:49:08 +0800, "jason" <> wrote:

    >im using win98
    >i tried to upload some new photos to my pc using Camedia for my Olympus
    >camera
    >the application says it cant find a camera on the usb port
    >
    >also my webcam no longer works-its application says another device is using
    >the camera but there is no other device
    >
    >im using com ports 1 and 2 for them

    1st -Make sure the camera is on (protective flap opened) be sure that
    it has fully charged batteries. An AC adapter is better for use when
    transferring because if your Olympus is anything like mine, the
    battery life is about 24 hours with an active camera or not.

    I had this problem. It turned out to be the cable, of all things,
    (the cable between the Olympus Cam and the serial port). There was
    something strange about that cable. It seemed to have some sort of
    hidden dongle built in. (something more than pin-to-pin connections).

    Perhaps that's why Olympus wanted $50 for a replacement. The new
    cable fixed the problem. I must of burned out the dongle in some way.

    To be sure though, test your serial port with a printer or a modem of
    some sort. You can use a program called Hyperterminal to directly
    access the serial ports. For example, with a modem connected, go
    into Hyperterminal for that numbered serial port and type AT <return>.
    The computer should respond "OK". Type ATDT and some number like
    5551212 <return> and it should dial (if you've got a phone line
    connected).

    If your serial port is good, then as I said above, then it could be
    the cable (or the camera).

    Beachcomber
    Beachcomber, Jun 22, 2004
  6. jason

    Allen_L Guest

    > "Allen_L" <> wrote in message
    >> In news:cb9bdj$hrl$,
    >> jason <> typed:
    >>> "jason" <> wrote in message

    >>> also, my portable usb drive no longer works on eithr port :(

    >> Probaby should go to Device Mgr. and Delete the USB Controllers
    >> (all of them) and then re-boot and let the system find them and
    >> install fresh again. Sounds like you have some conflicts. Using
    >> Win98 you *might* have to go into Safe Mode to do this, I'm not for
    >> certain, as it's been awhile for me and Win98. You do want to delete
    >> *all* the USB entries, and it may only be possible to see all of
    >> them in Safe Mode in order to delete them.
    >>
    >> ...Allen

    In news:cb9iuo$s01$,
    jason <> typed:

    > will that require the win98 disk? because its been stolen.......

    I really don't think that deleting the USB Controllers would need the Win
    disk, but might better let someone who's really up to date on this
    answer...wouldn't want you to really mess things up. Do you have any drive
    imaging programs available? If so you could recover that way.

    ....Allen
    Allen_L, Jun 22, 2004