Digital Camera & memory stick problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Dave Wright, Jan 7, 2005.

  1. Dave Wright

    Dave Wright Guest

    When I connect a digital camera or memory stick to USB port, the device is
    found OK, but whe I attempt to access it - (Device Manager Properties or
    Explore etc), the system hangs. I cannot close the window where I am
    attempting to access it (eg My Computer disk F or Device Manager etc) - Get
    message "The program is not responding" & cannot end task - even from Task
    Manager.

    The only way to reslove the system hang, is to disconect the camera or
    memory stick resulting in Unsafe Removal message.

    If I boot up the PC with the camera or Memory stick installed, everything is
    OK

    Also, if I log on as another user, I can insert the memory stick or camera
    OK

    Get same symptoms on all of the 4 installed USB ports

    Other USB devices are OK on all 4 ports

    I have uninstalled and re-installed all USB devices and USB ports.- Still
    get the same symptoms

    OS is W2K Professional

    Any thoughts, ideas, inspiration would be appreciated

    Regards
    Dave

    Dave Wright, Jan 7, 2005

  2. Dave Wright wrote:

    > When I connect a digital camera or memory stick to USB port, the device is
    > found OK, but whe I attempt to access it - (Device Manager Properties or
    > Explore etc), the system hangs. I cannot close the window where I am
    > attempting to access it (eg My Computer disk F or Device Manager etc) -
    > Get message "The program is not responding" & cannot end task - even from
    > Task Manager.
    >
    > The only way to reslove the system hang, is to disconect the camera or
    > memory stick resulting in Unsafe Removal message.
    >
    > If I boot up the PC with the camera or Memory stick installed, everything
    > is OK

    Did you install the latest USB hub drivers for your type of mainboard?
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.10-mm1[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, Jan 7, 2005

  3. Dave Wright

    Gee Guest

    Any information about the error in Event Viewer?

    Gee, Jan 7, 2005
  4. Dave Wright

    Jerry G. Guest

    It sounds like a driver issue. Since it happens with both the camera or
    memory stick through its adaptor, I would rule out any hardware fault.

    If you are using XP, the driver must be an XP type driver. On the other
    side, Win 98 also has its problems. But, I found Win 98 to be less critical
    when it comes to drivers.

    I have a few digital cameras. I also had to do some work to get them going
    properly.

    I would go to the respective sites for your equipment, and download and
    install the latest drivers. When re-installing the newer ones, first remove
    all that is installed for your equipment. I would also look through all the
    FAQ's and do some searching to find out what I can about any problems. I
    generally spend some time, and do the searches and read all I can about the
    type of problems people are having with the same models of equipment. This
    way, it is possible to know what to possibly expect.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    Jerry G., Jan 7, 2005
  5. Dave Wright

    Dave Wright Guest

    Gee,

    No information in Event Viewer when attempting to access the device(s).
    Only entries are on connection and disconnection of device(s).

    Dave

    Dave Wright, Jan 8, 2005
  6. Dave Wright

    Dave Wright Guest

    Jerry,

    Thanks for the info.

    I contacted the camera manufacturer support people some time ago.
    They talked me through a few things, syetem set up etc, and confirmed that I
    had latest drivers installed.
    They were unable to resolve the problem, so provided me with a memory card
    reader. This has a USB interface and works OK.

    Incidentally, the camera and memory stick work OK on my laptop, which has
    the same OS and same drivers as my home PC

    Any other thoughts ?

    Regards,
    Dave

    Dave Wright, Jan 8, 2005
  7. Dave Wright

    Wanderer Guest

    A conflicting process accessing the USB. If it's in use in any way,
    there would be file in use violations.

    Since other apps don't have a problem, it would be probably a random
    file in use by another app that the specific driver requires access to.
    At a guess.

    Wanderer, Jan 9, 2005