    TIA.

    --
    Rob Keel.
    Rob Keel, Jun 11, 2005

  2. Rob Keel

    Sheldon Guest

    "Rob Keel" <robkeel@[removethis]gmail.com> wrote in message
    news:d8f6e8$jgq$2surf.net...
    > Hi,
    >
    > This might sound like a daft question but what is the best way to clean
    > a digital camera lens?
    >
    > What should I use?
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > --
    > Rob Keel.

    IMHO there are several ways. One is to use lens cleaning tissue and lens
    cleaning solution. Another is to use the new microfiber cloths. A Nikon or
    similar lens pen seems to work on stubborn spots. Me, I tend to cover my
    lenses with filters and use my breath and the tail of my cotton shirt. to
    clean the filter. If the filter gets screwed up I just replace it. Also, I
    never use lens caps. Filters and lens shades make the camera ready to use
    at any time and offer quite a bit of protection.

    I think everybody has their own favorite method. BTW, if we're just talking
    dust here, use a lens brush or a blower.
    Sheldon, Jun 11, 2005

  3. Rob Keel

    Tony Hwang Guest

    Rob Keel wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > This might sound like a daft question but what is the best way to clean
    > a digital camera lens?
    >
    > What should I use?
    >
    > TIA.

    Hi,
    Same as film camera unless you meant CCD sensor?
    Tony
    Tony Hwang, Jun 11, 2005
  4. Rob Keel

    Guest

    , Jun 11, 2005
  5. Rob Keel

    Shawn Hearn Guest

    In article <d8f6e8$jgq$2surf.net>,
    "Rob Keel" <robkeel@[removethis]gmail.com> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > This might sound like a daft question but what is the best way to clean
    > a digital camera lens?
    >
    > What should I use?

    Same way as any lens. Use lens cleaning tissue which you can buy at any
    photography store for a few dollars, and even many drug stores for
    cleaning glasses.
    Shawn Hearn, Jun 12, 2005
  6. Rob Keel

    Rob Keel Guest

    Rob Keel wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > This might sound like a daft question but what is the best way to
    > clean a digital camera lens?
    >
    > What should I use?
    >
    > TIA.

    Excellent .... Thanks for the replies/advice everyone. Much appreciated.

    --
    Rob Keel.
    Rob Keel, Jun 12, 2005
  7. Rob Keel

    Mark B. Guest

    > Hi,
    >
    > This might sound like a daft question but what is the best way to clean
    > a digital camera lens?
    >
    > What should I use?
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > --
    > Rob Keel.

    Use a blower for light dust. For most anything else, I like the LensPen.

    Mark
    Mark B., Jun 13, 2005
  8. Rob Keel

    Brad Guest

    Little bit off subject but I read someone saying that for the LCD
    screen that scotch tape applied and pulled off is a good way to clean
    or are the above methods ok for the screen too?

    Brad

    LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY IN A
    WELL-PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
    SHOUTING... " HOLY @#$%... WHAT A RIDE!"
    Brad, Jun 14, 2005
  9. Rob Keel

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 15:19:35 +0000 (UTC), "Rob Keel"
    <robkeel@[removethis]gmail.com> wrote:

    > Excellent .... Thanks for the replies/advice everyone. Much appreciated.

    But they didn't give you the whole story. The correct answer
    depends on whether you have a P&S or a DSLR. According to Doc.
    #27362 in Sigma's Knowledgebase, their lenses are made removable for
    a good reason. If a DSLR's lens becomes so dirty as to degrade the
    images it produces, it's time for it to be replaced. Sigma
    thoughtfully made this a simple task for the end user so there's no
    need for any but the rankest novice to have to send the camera and
    lenses back to Sigma to swap them. The only advantage to letting
    them do it for you is that they will also clean the sensor at no
    extra charge. Other lens manufacturers may not necessarily have the
    same policy so it's best to check with them first.
    ASAAR, Jun 14, 2005
  10. In article <>, ASAAR
    <> wrote:

    > But they didn't give you the whole story. The correct answer
    > depends on whether you have a P&S or a DSLR. According to Doc.
    > #27362 in Sigma's Knowledgebase, their lenses are made removable for
    > a good reason. If a DSLR's lens becomes so dirty as to degrade the
    > images it produces, it's time for it to be replaced. Sigma
    > thoughtfully made this a simple task for the end user so there's no
    > need for any but the rankest novice to have to send the camera and
    > lenses back to Sigma to swap them. The only advantage to letting
    > them do it for you is that they will also clean the sensor at no
    > extra charge. Other lens manufacturers may not necessarily have the
    > same policy so it's best to check with them first.

    On the down side, if you send your camera/lens to Sigma...they'll send
    it back.
    Randall Ainsworth, Jun 14, 2005
  11. Rob Keel

    ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 20:57:25 -0700, Randall Ainsworth wrote:

    > On the down side, if you send your camera/lens to Sigma...they'll
    > send it back.

    That's understood, but Sigma plays fair. They'll swap lenses at
    no charge even if mounted on Canon, Nikon or Kodak bodies.

    What's really got me excited though is one of the major film
    manufacturers (I haven't discovered if it's Fuji or Kodak) has inked
    a deal with K-Mart to produce a new quality line of disposable,
    digital cameras bearing the Martha Stewart logo, and it will be
    available in several "cheery" colors and designs. Martha would
    never associate her name with the fairly low quality that has so far
    been the hallmark of disposable cameras. They've solve that problem
    by eliminating the weak link - the inferior plastic lens. This new
    "ChicPix" line won't include a lens at all. Instead it will be
    offered with a choice of lens mounts, allowing Canon and (initially)
    Pentax lenses to be used. When you're finished taking pictures, all
    that you need to do is remove your lens and return the reusable body
    for processing. Word is that Nikon is furiously trying to catch up,
    and may have just signed a deal with Sigma that will allow its
    lenses to be used with the new SD-99 disposable camera. It will
    utilize a special high resolution sensor, and will initially only be
    available from Wal-Mart, Tiger Direct and Abe's of Maine.
    ASAAR, Jun 14, 2005
  12. In article <>, ASAAR
    <> wrote:

    > > On the down side, if you send your camera/lens to Sigma...they'll
    > > send it back.

    > That's understood, but Sigma plays fair. They'll swap lenses at
    > no charge even if mounted on Canon, Nikon or Kodak bodies.

    What I meant was that, even after Sigma works on it, you'll still be
    stuck with using it.
    Randall Ainsworth, Jun 14, 2005
  13. Rob Keel

    ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 05:07:03 -0700, Randall Ainsworth wrote:

    > What I meant was that, even after Sigma works on it, you'll still be
    > stuck with using it.

    Oh, I know that. But isn't your main complaint against Sigma
    related to their Foveon tainted bodies? Some of their lenses are
    keepers, especially if value is a factor.
    ASAAR, Jun 14, 2005
  14. This is priceless!!!
    Dennis D. Carter

    Dennis D. Carter, Jun 14, 2005
  15. Rob Keel

    wilt Guest

    Many, many years ago, a test showed that even Kodak lens cleaning
    tissue (which everyone trusted) with fluid would actually abrade the
    lens coating (had to be seen under magnification, but you could clearly
    see it in the example photos!). Use microfiber cloth and use fluid if
    you have to. The microfiber would clean off smudges, greasy
    fingerprings and dust with no visible (under magnification) abrasion to
    the coatings. Forget the pens...they aren't much different than using
    lens cleaning tissue. And never use eyeglass tissues or cotton
    T-shirts!

    --Wilt
    wilt, Jun 15, 2005