digital camera - how it works

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Eric Gisin, Aug 28, 2003.

  1. Eric Gisin

    Eric Gisin Guest

    Eric Gisin, Aug 28, 2003

  2. Eric Gisin wrote:

    > I was looking for detailed explanation of how digital cameras work, and came
    > up with:
    > http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/digital-camera.htm/printable
    > http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/camera.htm/printable
    >
    > Does anyone have any other URLs? Anything on CCDs?

    A digital camera works in much the same way as any other camera, and even the
    basic oatmeal box pinhole camera. Just instead of throwing the light and
    image onto film, it shines the image onto the CCD.

    Perhaps instead of searching how digital cameras work, you are more interested
    in how CCDs work and should do a search on those as you suggest.

    Basically, a CCD is the square or rectangular shaped plate that the lens is
    focusing the image onto. It is made up of millions of tiny switches or
    detectors that send an electrical signal depending on how much light and what
    color. (or how much light of a certain color) and later all that information
    is put together to reconstruct the big picture that they form when all the
    colored dots are put back together in the same order.

    Douglas Whittaker, Aug 28, 2003

  3. Eric Gisin

    Eric Gisin Guest

    "neil" <> wrote in message news:...
    | > Try http://www.vimm.it/cochlea/fast/ccdprime.htm for a good-looking page
    | > entitled "CDD primer". Believe it or not, my attention was directed to
    this
    | > page after doing a Google search with "CCD primer" as the search phrase.

    I already knew the shift register aspect. Doesn't cover photographic aspects
    at all.

    | > Huh. Go figure.
    |
    | This is why whenever I have a question about anything, I go to google.com
    | first. In the one out of a thousand times I can't find the answer that
    way,
    | then I might ask on a newsgroup.

    Yup, spent a couple hours with google and only came up with the one site.
    That's why I asked.

    Eric Gisin, Aug 29, 2003