    Thanks a lot.

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.
    Darren Harris, Feb 25, 2004

  2. Darren Harris

    YoYo Guest

    Get a 3 meg camera that is more then enough for 21" monitor resolutions,
    and its pretty good for up to 8x10 prints

    YoYo, Feb 25, 2004

  3. Darren Harris

    John Navas Guest

    In <> on 25 Feb 2004 11:42:35
    -0800, 2.com (Darren Harris) wrote:

    >Can anyone give me an idea what still image on a 21" PC monitor?
    >
    >Recommendations on what would *not* be considered over-kill would be
    >greatly appreciated.
    >
    >I need to pick up a digital camera pronto.

    Why not just use screen capture?

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas
    John Navas, Feb 25, 2004
  4. Darren Harris

    Lucas Tam Guest

    2.com (Darren Harris) wrote in

    > Can anyone give me an idea what still image on a 21" PC monitor?

    A 2mp image would fill at 21" monitor at 1600x1200.

    --
    Lucas Tam ()
    Lucas Tam, Feb 25, 2004
  5. Darren Harris

    Steph Guest

    The monitor is not a limiting factor - the typical maximum resolution on a
    21" CRT monitor is 1800 x 1440 pixels, which equates to 2.6 Mpixel.
    Therefore any camera of 3.0Mp upwards will be an overkill for this. But if
    you want high res prints at more than 10x8, that's a different matter.

    Steph, Feb 25, 2004
  6. Darren Harris wrote:

    > Can anyone give me an idea what still image on a 21" PC monitor?
    >
    > Recommendations on what would *not* be considered over-kill would be
    > greatly appreciated.
    >
    > I need to pick up a digital camera pronto.
    >
    > Thanks a lot.
    >
    > Darren Harris
    > Staten Island, New York.

    As you probably know, monitors have a user-selectable resolution.
    Some 21" monitors have a maximum screen resolution of 1920 x 1440!!!
    That's about 2.8 MP. So if you want to send uncropped images, a 3 MP
    camera will fill the bill.
    I usually crop most of my pictures and print the winners at 8 x 10 so I
    use a 4 MP camera.
    Keep in mind however that VERY FEW people have 21" monitors that they
    keep set at 1920 X 1440 pixels.
    If you send pictures that large to your friends, they will have to
    scroll all over the place to see the entire image.
    The file size will be about 1MB unless you compress the image strongly.
    Your pals with 56K modems will be unhappy puppies when they start to
    download a few of those images.
    Bob Williams
    Robert E. Williams, Feb 25, 2004
  7. Darren Harris

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 22:08:00 -0000, in rec.photo.digital "Steph"
    <> wrote:

    >The monitor is not a limiting factor - the typical maximum resolution on a
    >21" CRT monitor is 1800 x 1440 pixels, which equates to 2.6 Mpixel.
    >Therefore any camera of 3.0Mp upwards will be an overkill for this. But if
    >you want high res prints at more than 10x8, that's a different matter.

    My Iiyama 512 does 2048x1536 which also happens to be the maximum
    resolution of images obtained from my 3.34MP Nikon 990.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://members.cox.net/egruf
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam
    Ed Ruf, Feb 25, 2004