Digital Camera for Kids Recommendation

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bob Flaminio, Feb 4, 2004.

  1. Bob Flaminio

    Bob Flaminio Guest

    Greetings,

    First time poster in this 'froup, so go easy on me if I break any
    rules...

    My soon-to-be five year old daughter fancies herself a photographer.
    However, development costs for film cameras are too expensive, plus they
    lack the immediacy of a digital camera. So, I'd like to buy her a
    digital camera for her birthday. It should have a number of kid-friendly
    features:

    1) Brightly colored both because kids like bright colors, and because
    it's easier to locate when jumbled up in a messy room;

    2) Robust design to handle frequent droppage;

    3) Auto-turn-off feature to save battery life.

    4) Not too expensive, so that if she loses or breaks it, I won't feel
    too put out. Let's say, under $200.

    5) USB interface for easy computer connections

    I tried surfing around the usual sites, but nothing jumped out at me as
    a kid-appropriate camera. The closest might be the Sony DSC-U40 -- it's
    got the bright colors and ease of use, but might be a little fragile.

    Any recommendations? Please answer to the group -- you can email me if
    you want (my address isn't spamblocked in any way) but I prefer the
    shared knowledge of Usenet rather than private answers just for me.
    Thanks so much!

    --
    Bob
    Bob Flaminio, Feb 4, 2004

  2. Bob Flaminio

    Mikey S. Guest

    You know, it's not bright colored but other than that one of the Minolta
    dimage X series mightsuit your daughter, I have one as a spare camera and
    it's stood up to my 8 year old son and ( much worse..they take it dances and
    concerts ) two teenage daughters beating it up without the slightest
    problems. If they don't have it lives in my work bag and gets dropped,
    pushed around and variously abused. It's small to fit little hands well,
    pretty much all metal, tough, and the lens is automatically covered when
    it's powered off, and it takes quite good pictures actually. Youmight want
    to get a sheet of PDA screen cover plastic ( office stores) to protect the
    LCD, though it is recessed somewhat anyway.

    Check one out in a local store if you can.
    --

    Mikey S.
    http://www.mike721.com

    Mikey S., Feb 4, 2004

  3. Bob Flaminio

    AA Bob Guest

    Casio QV-R40. It's been replaced by the R41 and R51, so the price should
    soon drop to around $250.

    It's a very very easy to use camera. Not specifically for kids, but it has
    a very rugged metal body, recessed LCD, auto shut off, and awesome fast
    autofocus and start up.

    Great for outdoors. Like many point n shoots, not the greatest indoors.
    AA Bob, Feb 4, 2004
  4. Bob Flaminio

    chevron Guest

    > Greetings,
    >
    > First time poster in this 'froup, so go easy on me if I break any
    > rules...
    >
    > My soon-to-be five year old daughter fancies herself a photographer.
    > However, development costs for film cameras are too expensive, plus they
    > lack the immediacy of a digital camera. So, I'd like to buy her a
    > digital camera for her birthday. It should have a number of kid-friendly
    > features:
    >
    > 1) Brightly colored both because kids like bright colors, and because
    > it's easier to locate when jumbled up in a messy room;
    >
    > 2) Robust design to handle frequent droppage;
    >
    > 3) Auto-turn-off feature to save battery life.
    >
    > 4) Not too expensive, so that if she loses or breaks it, I won't feel
    > too put out. Let's say, under $200.
    >
    > 5) USB interface for easy computer connections
    >
    > I tried surfing around the usual sites, but nothing jumped out at me as
    > a kid-appropriate camera. The closest might be the Sony DSC-U40 -- it's
    > got the bright colors and ease of use, but might be a little fragile.
    >
    > Any recommendations? Please answer to the group -- you can email me if
    > you want (my address isn't spamblocked in any way) but I prefer the
    > shared knowledge of Usenet rather than private answers just for me.
    > Thanks so much!

    ----

    If you're looking for a toy camera, the Canon Rebel with it's lovely bright
    silver plastic body takes some beating.
    chevron, Feb 4, 2004
  5. Bob Flaminio

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    Bob Flaminio <> wrote:

    <Snipped Text>

    > Any recommendations? Please answer to the group -- you can email me if
    > you want (my address isn't spamblocked in any way) but I prefer the
    > shared knowledge of Usenet rather than private answers just for me.
    > Thanks so much!

    Not quite what you had in mind, but we just bought our 9 year old
    daughter a Kodak CX6200. It's compact and seems well made, but is an
    absolute doddle to use, fixed focus - but does take some good pictures.
    2MP as well, so you get 1600x1200 pictures, takes SD cards, and has USB.
    It was only £80ukp over here, so not too bad if it does get damaged.

    --
    Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5 - BMW K100RS 8v)
    Honda Concerto 16v: Windows free zone (Mac G3)
    Andy Hewitt, Feb 4, 2004
  6. Bob Flaminio

    Robin S Guest

    I will second Andy, bought my son (8 yrs old) and wife the Kodak CX4200,
    similar to CX6200, fixed focus, 2 megapixel, very simple and both of them
    can upload the photos to the computer with the easyshare software! Yes it
    does take some reasonably good pictures. Cost $99 Canadian, I believe the
    CX6200 is $129 now.

    Previously bought a "Jam Cam" 640 X 480 absolute waste of time

    Robin

    Robin S, Feb 4, 2004
  7. Bob Flaminio

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    Robin S <> wrote:

    > I will second Andy, bought my son (8 yrs old) and wife the Kodak CX4200,
    > similar to CX6200, fixed focus, 2 megapixel, very simple and both of them
    > can upload the photos to the computer with the easyshare software! Yes it
    > does take some reasonably good pictures. Cost $99 Canadian, I believe the
    > CX6200 is $129 now.

    Yes, probably a much better solution for a 5 year old, IMHO.

    > Previously bought a "Jam Cam" 640 X 480 absolute waste of time

    Yes, we had a SiPix Web 3, a similar gadget, a real case of get what you
    pay for.

    Andy Hewitt, Feb 4, 2004
  8. Bob Flaminio

    Ken Guest

    We bought Vivitar Vivicam 10's for our kids (actually my wife bought them -
    no clue what they cost). They have absolutely terrible color. So bad that
    the pictures are almost unusable. I wish we would have put the money toward
    better cameras.

    Right now I have two Kodaks (DX3900 and DX6340) and really like the color
    and picture quality (relative to the resolution).

    Ken, Feb 5, 2004
  9. Bob Flaminio

    Sean Guest

    On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 16:09:17 -0800, "Bob Flaminio" <>
    wrote:

    Hello Bob, you might wanna give the Fuji Q1 Digital.
    http://ukdigitalcameras.safeshopper.com/9/698.htm?553

    Its only $99, has 8mb built in storage, but can also except memory
    cards. It also a movie mode that your daughter might like. With the
    8mb built in storage, with the exception of popping in a couple
    batteries (standard AA), its ready to shoot. Plus it makes it easy
    for kids to use that way.

    If I was getting a camera for a 5 year old girl, this would be the
    one. Its easy to use, and its pretty cheap.

    -Sean

    Sean, Feb 5, 2004
  10. Bob Flaminio

    Sean Guest

    P.S.

    Also try you local walmart. They do make digital cameras for kids
    that "look fun". Usually VERY cheap with built in memory. Also
    usually no LCD, just a viewfinder. But the ones I've seen were
    encased in rubber to help with dropping hazards.
    Just a note on the lack of an LCD screen. My camera has a very large
    screen, but when I let kids take pictures with it, they still hold
    theirs eyes right up to it like its a view finder. So maybe kids
    don't care much about a screen.

    -Sean

    Sean, Feb 5, 2004
  11. Bob Flaminio

    Michael Guest

    My 21 month old likes playing with the HP C30 I still haev in a drawer
    somewhere...now that's a robust camera!

    Mike

    Michael, Feb 5, 2004
  12. Bob Flaminio

    Adam M Guest

    wrote:

    >Greetings,
    >
    >First time poster in this 'froup, so go easy on me if I break any
    >rules...
    >
    >My soon-to-be five year old daughter fancies herself a photographer.
    >However, development costs for film cameras are too expensive, plus they
    >lack the immediacy of a digital camera. So, I'd like to buy her a
    >digital camera for her birthday. It should have a number of kid-friendly
    >features:
    >
    >1) Brightly colored both because kids like bright colors, and because
    >it's easier to locate when jumbled up in a messy room;
    >
    >2) Robust design to handle frequent droppage;
    >
    >3) Auto-turn-off feature to save battery life.
    >
    >4) Not too expensive, so that if she loses or breaks it, I won't feel
    >too put out. Let's say, under $200.
    >
    >5) USB interface for easy computer connections

    Nikon CoolPix 2500 - it's discontinued but mine has 2 years of use and
    abuse on it. It's very small, easy to use, the lens rotates up to
    protect it from scratches. It also takes great pictures.

    You can get a factory refurb for $135.00 from Nikon
    http://www.nikonmall.com/product.asp?sku=2375095

    Or I've seen them new on several camera sites around the net for
    around $150.

    Adam M
    Adam M, Feb 5, 2004
  13. Bob Flaminio

    Bob Flaminio Guest

    Bob Flaminio wrote:
    > My soon-to-be five year old daughter fancies herself a photographer.

    Thanks to everyone who replied. Many excellent suggestions -- I went
    with the Kodak CX6200. Looks like a winner; we'll find out for sure on
    her birthday.

    --
    Bob
    Bob Flaminio, Feb 9, 2004