    --
    Michael
    NPC rights activist | Nameless Abominations are people too.

    Mr. M.J. Lush, Sep 10, 2004

  2. Mr. M.J. Lush

    Graeme Guest

    "Mr. M.J. Lush" <> wrote in message
    news:chsf8a$1cr$...

    > A couple of years ago I got my 4 year old son a cheap ditital camera
    > I'm getting tired of supporting the shoddy software that comes
    > with it and think its time to get him a new one
    >
    > * very point and shoot
    > * be robust smallish and preferably camera shaped
    > * LCD Monitor
    > * take pictures at more than 640x480
    > * built in flash
    > * removable memory card (any flavour)
    > * less than $100/60 quid
    >
    > suggestions?

    I was looking for something similar myself a couple of days back. All I
    could find (that I would consider reasonable) was http://tinyurl.com/3hunb
    (Olympus from dixons[uk]).

    Graeme, Sep 10, 2004

  3. If you can find a used one on eBay, I'd say a Kodak DX3600.

    It is a very "dummy-proof" camera with its menus & so forth, takes very
    respectable photos--you could easily make 5x7s of them--uses the ubiquotous
    (sp?) Compact Flash and ubiqutous AA batteries, and you can get a dock for
    it which handles the 3 basic tasks automatically, at the push of a
    button--downloads the photos to the computer, recharges the batteries (if
    you use Kodak's batteries that is--and leave it in the dock for 2-3 hours),
    and clears the old photos off the card for new ones. All at the push of a
    button. (Caution, though--I had considerable trouble getting my dock to work
    with my Windows 2000 computer; now, it does work, but even so you sometimes
    have to "redock" it 2-3 times before it will "take.")

    I bought one for a financially-strapped single mom with an 11-year old--she
    used to have piles of undeveloped film stagnating on her shelf because she
    couldn't scrape the money to develop the rolls (but she had a respectable
    computer)--I got all that for only $70--WITH the dock. I only had to add a
    Compact Flash card (128 Meg will hold about 150 photos, and cost about $20
    on eBay), and the Kodak Battery (about $15) for it to recharge in the dock.
    I found the menus to be as intuitive and "dummy-proof" as menus get,
    too--perfect for a child or someone not of the "techie" type.

    The software can run fine on even an old computer--I tried it out on a spare
    one we have which is only 350 MHz with 128 megabytes of RAM--and other than
    the quirks I mentioned, it ran fine.

    LRH

    Larry R Harrison Jr, Sep 10, 2004
  4. "Mr. M.J. Lush" wrote in message:

    > A couple of years ago I got my 4 year old son a cheap ditital camera
    > I'm getting tired of supporting the shoddy software that comes
    > with it and think its time to get him a new one
    >
    > * very point and shoot
    > * be robust smallish and preferably camera shaped
    > * LCD Monitor
    > * take pictures at more than 640x480
    > * built in flash
    > * removable memory card (any flavour)
    > * less than $100/60 quid
    >
    > suggestions?

    You could also try this link:

    http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?NOV-CCSP50

    Regards,

    Frank

    Frank Siebert, Sep 10, 2004
  5. Sorry, I forgot a couple of things.

    The camera is a 2 megapixel camera. Yes, most cameras nowadays start out at
    3 megapixels, but you will still see SOME 2 megapixels left over. That
    resolution is EASILY good enough to make 4x6s, I've done 5x7s that looked
    just fine as well. 8x10 is a possibility, although depending on your
    standards that may be pushing it a bit, but some I have blown up from a 2
    megapixel I once owned (a Nikon Coolpix 775) actually looked pretty
    respectable--certainly good enough for a 4-year old.

    It has a 2x zoom--not as good as the 3x most others have, but better than
    nothing. One note: Kodak also sells a DX3500, same camera with NO zoom. I'd
    avoid that one--I mean, at least get 2x zoom.

    One advantage to this camera, too, is that--unlike most others, the
    proportions of its resolution perfectly match a 4x6 print, so there will be
    no cropping when you go to the drugstore to have 4x6s made--or when you
    print at home with BORDERLESS options. Most digital cameras have a 4:3
    ratio--which for a 2-megapixel would be 1600x1200. But the Kodak is
    1800x1200, which is a 3:2 ratio--which is EXACTLY what 4x6 prints are.
    That's a nice advantage. That means less chance of chopped-off heads etc due
    to cropping.

    Many state that they advise NOT to get the dock & the propreitary Kodak
    batteries for it, but rather just get a Compact Flash card reader (or
    connect the camera through its USB jack) and regular rechargeables. That
    will certainly work too--and would be somewhat cheaper too, since you
    wouldn't have to spend $15 for Kodak's batteries. It's just that if your
    target user is a 4-year old, the dock & its "dummy-proof" orientiation would
    be ideal--again, if you can get it to work. (Others have reported total
    success, don't let my initial difficulties speak for more than that they
    were--initial difficulties.)

    If you go that route, I recommend you get a rechargeable type known as IC3.
    Those are normal AA batteries that work in any AA-device, but they recharge
    in 15 minutes. I paid $30 for a 4-battery charger with 2 AAs included--a
    Ray-O-Vac, and a pack of 2 more AAs are around $7-10 if I recall (if you
    want spares, which you probably will). It really does recharge in 15
    minutes--although I have at times obtained better results if I removed the
    batteries and immediately recharged them for another 15 minutes--and they
    last as long as regular NiMH rechargeables.

    In fact, even if you go the "dock" route, you can still do that--just
    remember that you will need the IC3 charger to charge your IC3 batteries,
    the dock won't recharge them.

    Also, the camera offers "Good" or "Best" quality. (That shows up as 2 stars
    in the LCD screen, "Good" shows up as 1 star.) I say--stick with "Best."
    Yes, it's true, the "Good" setting will probably be enough for 4x6s and
    you'll get about twice as much photos on your card. But in my opinion, why
    shoot at lower quality than your camera is capable of? Even at the "Best"
    setting, you will be able to put 800 photos on a CD-R when you backup to CD
    with your CD burner. And the 128 Megabyte Compact Flash card--only $20 on
    eBay (more if you buy it new in stores)--will hold about 150 photos at the
    "Best" setting. That should be aplenty.

    If you get the dock system and need a battery, Best Buy sells it (again, you
    may find it cheaper on eBay). It's model #114-8683. Here is a link to it:

    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051384073651&skuId=4375848&type=product

    Here is a review of the camera:

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_reviews/dx3600.html

    Good luck.

    LRH

    Larry R Harrison Jr, Sep 10, 2004
  6. "Mr. M.J. Lush" <> ha scritto nel messaggio

    > A couple of years ago I got my 4 year old son a cheap ditital camera
    > I'm getting tired of supporting the shoddy software that comes
    > with it and think its time to get him a new one
    >
    > * very point and shoot
    > * be robust smallish and preferably camera shaped
    > * LCD Monitor
    > * take pictures at more than 640x480
    > * built in flash
    > * removable memory card (any flavour)
    > * less than $100/60 quid
    >
    > suggestions?

    Fujifilm Q1 digital or A120, perhaps?

    Very geared towards kids in my opinion; should be cheap too.

    Greets,

    FDKS

    Fedman Kassad, Sep 10, 2004
  7. I've owned a bunch, and the most versatile and rugged was the Kodak
    DC5000 - 2 MP, yes, but runs on AA batteries, has simple menus, uses
    CF cards, and -- it is water resistant! Find them used on *Bay.

    -David K.

    David Kassnoff, Sep 11, 2004