    T1, but the reviews I read were not too good for a fairly expensive
    camera. I have been using an Oly 2020 for years and still love it, but
    she wants something smaller. Any suggestions?
    Edward, Sep 17, 2004

  2. Edward

    JK Guest

    The smaller cameras aren't very practical if one wants to take photos
    indoors without using a flash or tripod. Tell her to read some camera
    review sites like dpreview and steves-digicams. Tell her that it is
    much more important how the photos look than how the camera looks.
    Have her look at sample photos for many cameras. After that, she
    may decide that a Canon G6 or a Digital Rebel might be a good
    choice. Years from now after the camera breaks, all she will be
    left with is the images that it took.

    JK, Sep 17, 2004

  3. JK wrote:
    > The smaller cameras aren't very practical if one wants to take photos
    > indoors without using a flash or tripod. Tell her to read some camera
    > review sites like dpreview and steves-digicams. Tell her that it is
    > much more important how the photos look than how the camera looks.
    > Have her look at sample photos for many cameras. After that, she
    > may decide that a Canon G6 or a Digital Rebel might be a good
    > choice. Years from now after the camera breaks, all she will be
    > left with is the images that it took.
    >
    > Edward wrote:

    I have to disagree. I don't have a camera to offer, I am not up on the
    current small cameras, but having had a 15 year old daughter, I suggest that
    you (Edward) provide some information to your daughter. Let her know that
    she may not be able to get good photos in low light without flash, but don't
    suggest she is not able to decide what she wants intelligently. Frankly
    most 15 year olds can do a good job of making choice when given the
    information they need.

    Most of us here tend to look at photography as an art with the image as
    the goal. That is not true of everyone. The 15 year old daughter's goals
    may be far different. Having a small cute camera that takes snapshots may
    be exactly what she wants. Don't stick your children with your personal
    choices. Recognize their personal needs and try to help them with them,
    don't try to change them.

    JK sorry if this may have sounded like an attack on your advice. You
    advice was not bad, but to me it sounded too much like a father speaking.
    You may not have intended that at all. You made some good points and they
    should be considered by Edward's daughter.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
    Joseph Meehan, Sep 17, 2004
  4. In article <PTz2d.8$>,
    Edward <> wrote:
    >I am looking for a digital camera for my 15 year old daughter. She is
    >interested in a small point and shoot type camera. She likes the Sony
    >T1, but the reviews I read were not too good for a fairly expensive
    >camera. I have been using an Oly 2020 for years and still love it, but
    >she wants something smaller. Any suggestions?

    Whats the budget?

    I'd reccommend a Olympus mju300/400 small, stylish and weatherproof

    --
    Michael
    NPC rights activist | Nameless Abominations are people too.
    Mr. M.J. Lush, Sep 17, 2004
  5. Edward

    JK Guest

    Joseph Meehan wrote:

    > JK wrote:
    > > The smaller cameras aren't very practical if one wants to take photos
    > > indoors without using a flash or tripod. Tell her to read some camera
    > > review sites like dpreview and steves-digicams. Tell her that it is
    > > much more important how the photos look than how the camera looks.
    > > Have her look at sample photos for many cameras. After that, she
    > > may decide that a Canon G6 or a Digital Rebel might be a good
    > > choice. Years from now after the camera breaks, all she will be
    > > left with is the images that it took.
    > >
    > > Edward wrote:

    > I have to disagree. I don't have a camera to offer, I am not up on the
    > current small cameras, but having had a 15 year old daughter, I suggest that
    > you (Edward) provide some information to your daughter. Let her know that
    > she may not be able to get good photos in low light without flash, but don't
    > suggest she is not able to decide what she wants intelligently.

    She can, but only after studying the issues involved. That is why I suggested
    that she read some review sites.

    > Frankly
    > most 15 year olds can do a good job of making choice when given the
    > information they need.

    That is the key. I would love a shirt pocket sized camera with an f2.8
    (throughout
    the entire zoom range) 5x zoom and a very low noise 1600 ISO mode, however
    technology hasn't advanced to that stage yet, so I will have to suffer with a
    large digital slr if I want those specs.

    > Most of us here tend to look at photography as an art with the image as
    > the goal. That is not true of everyone. The 15 year old daughter's goals
    > may be far different. Having a small cute camera that takes snapshots

    However it may not be able to take acceptable snapshots in many situations.

    > may
    > be exactly what she wants. Don't stick your children with your personal
    > choices.

    I'm not doing that. I suggested that she read those two great review sites and
    look
    at sample photos. The very low light images that a Digital Rebel can take using
    1600 iso and a 50mm f1.8 lens are truly amazing.

    > Recognize their personal needs and try to help them with them,
    > don't try to change them.

    Many people are drawn to small cute looking cameras without realizing their
    limitations.

    JK, Sep 17, 2004
  6. Edward

    Patrick L. Guest

    "Edward" <> wrote in message
    > I am looking for a digital camera for my 15 year old daughter. She is
    > interested in a small point and shoot type camera. She likes the Sony
    > T1, but the reviews I read were not too good for a fairly expensive
    > camera. I have been using an Oly 2020 for years and still love it, but
    > she wants something smaller. Any suggestions?

    Holga with a digital back.

    Patrick
    Patrick L., Sep 17, 2004
  7. JK wrote:
    > Joseph Meehan wrote:
    >
    >> JK wrote:

    > However it may not be able to take acceptable snapshots in many
    > situations.

    > Many people are drawn to small cute looking cameras without realizing
    > their
    > limitations.

    And maybe their idea of what an acceptable snapshot is not even close to
    what is acceptable to you or me. Have you seen some of the images made by
    those cell phones. It is difficult to recognize a cat from an car, but the
    people who have them seem to love them.

    The point is we all need to remember that not everyone shares our
    values, but that does not make them wrong or us wrong. This works not only
    in photography, but also life.

    Again, I am not saying you are wrong, as you are not wrong. However
    taking your advice or mine to an extreme can be wrong. OK?

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
    Joseph Meehan, Sep 17, 2004
  8. Edward

    ERich10983 Guest

    >I am looking for a digital camera for my 15 year old daughter. She is
    >interested in a small point and shoot type camera.

    I bought an Olympus C750 for my sister a few months ago. I've been very
    impressed with the results she gets. My sister uses a belly pack case. The
    camera had to go into that.

    I have some kids as young as nine in my photo classes. Some of these kids are
    going to be VERY good photographers.

    Earle Rich
    Mont Vernon, NH
    ERich10983, Sep 17, 2004
  9. Edward

    JK Guest

    ERich10983 wrote:

    > >I am looking for a digital camera for my 15 year old daughter. She is
    > >interested in a small point and shoot type camera.

    > I bought an Olympus C750 for my sister a few months ago. I've been very
    > impressed with the results she gets.

    I guess she doesn't take photos indoors without using a flash or tripod?
    I often take photos indoors where the use of a tripod or flash would be
    inappropriate. This includes lectures, parties, and museums (many of
    which don't allow the use of a tripod or flash).

    JK, Sep 17, 2004
  10. Edward

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Edward wrote:
    > I am looking for a digital camera for my 15 year old daughter. She is
    > interested in a small point and shoot type camera. She likes the Sony
    > T1, but the reviews I read were not too good for a fairly expensive
    > camera. I have been using an Oly 2020 for years and still love it, but
    > she wants something smaller. Any suggestions?

    Sony has a couple of really small models, check out the 'U' series.
    Performance is not impaired by their small size, but the prices are
    higher, of course.
    Ron Hunter, Sep 17, 2004
  11. Edward

    Ron Hunter Guest

    JK wrote:
    > The smaller cameras aren't very practical if one wants to take photos
    > indoors without using a flash or tripod. Tell her to read some camera
    > review sites like dpreview and steves-digicams. Tell her that it is
    > much more important how the photos look than how the camera looks.
    > Have her look at sample photos for many cameras. After that, she
    > may decide that a Canon G6 or a Digital Rebel might be a good
    > choice. Years from now after the camera breaks, all she will be
    > left with is the images that it took.
    >
    > Edward wrote:
    >

    >>I am looking for a digital camera for my 15 year old daughter. She is
    >>interested in a small point and shoot type camera. She likes the Sony
    >>T1, but the reviews I read were not too good for a fairly expensive
    >>camera. I have been using an Oly 2020 for years and still love it, but
    >>she wants something smaller. Any suggestions?

    You recommend a camera the size of a small purse to someone who
    specified SMALL as a primary consideration? So, if you are looking for
    a nice small, economical car, I would suggest you check out the Lincoln
    Town Car. Very comfortable.
    Sigh.
    Ron Hunter, Sep 17, 2004
  12. Edward

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Mr. M.J. Lush wrote:
    > In article <PTz2d.8$>,
    > Edward <> wrote:
    >
    >>I am looking for a digital camera for my 15 year old daughter. She is
    >>interested in a small point and shoot type camera. She likes the Sony
    >>T1, but the reviews I read were not too good for a fairly expensive
    >>camera. I have been using an Oly 2020 for years and still love it, but
    >>she wants something smaller. Any suggestions?

    > Whats the budget?
    >
    > I'd reccommend a Olympus mju300/400 small, stylish and weatherproof

    I would also consider a camera with as large a LCD display as will fit
    since part of the beauty of a digital camera is the 'instant
    gratification' of being able to show the subject of the picture the
    results instantly.
    Ron Hunter, Sep 17, 2004
  13. Edward

    JK Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:

    > Edward wrote:
    > > I am looking for a digital camera for my 15 year old daughter. She is
    > > interested in a small point and shoot type camera. She likes the Sony
    > > T1, but the reviews I read were not too good for a fairly expensive
    > > camera. I have been using an Oly 2020 for years and still love it, but
    > > she wants something smaller. Any suggestions?

    > Sony has a couple of really small models, check out the 'U' series.
    > Performance is not impaired by their small size, but the prices are
    > higher, of course.

    The U20 for example has an f2.8 lens, but no optical zoom, and a very
    small sensor. The small size makes it look cute, although the images
    it takes are not thrilling. It is also only 2 megapixels.
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/sony_u20_samples.html
    They are better than nothing though for someone who refuses to carry
    a larger camera.
    JK, Sep 17, 2004
  14. Edward

    JK Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:

    > JK wrote:
    > > The smaller cameras aren't very practical if one wants to take photos
    > > indoors without using a flash or tripod. Tell her to read some camera
    > > review sites like dpreview and steves-digicams. Tell her that it is
    > > much more important how the photos look than how the camera looks.
    > > Have her look at sample photos for many cameras. After that, she
    > > may decide that a Canon G6 or a Digital Rebel might be a good
    > > choice. Years from now after the camera breaks, all she will be
    > > left with is the images that it took.
    > >
    > > Edward wrote:
    > >

    > >>I am looking for a digital camera for my 15 year old daughter. She is
    > >>interested in a small point and shoot type camera. She likes the Sony
    > >>T1, but the reviews I read were not too good for a fairly expensive
    > >>camera. I have been using an Oly 2020 for years and still love it, but
    > >>she wants something smaller. Any suggestions?

    > You recommend a camera the size of a small purse to someone who
    > specified SMALL as a primary consideration?

    A G6 is small compared to a digital slr. Many people ask about small
    cameras since they don't realize how much they would have to sacrifice
    by choosing a small camera. I would also prefer a shirt pocket sized
    camera if I could find one that performs like the Digital Rebel(i want
    relatively low noise 1600 ISO images, and the ability to use an f1.4
    or f1.8 lens).

    JK, Sep 17, 2004
  15. Edward

    JK Guest

    One of my friends originally wanted to buy a shirt pocket sized camera,
    however I convinced him to buy a Canon G6. I wasn't able to convince
    him to buy a Digital Rebel.

    JK, Sep 17, 2004
  16. On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 09:23:52 -0400, JK <> wrote:

    >The smaller cameras aren't very practical if one wants to take photos
    >indoors without using a flash or tripod. Tell her to read some camera
    >review sites like dpreview and steves-digicams. Tell her that it is
    >much more important how the photos look than how the camera looks.
    >Have her look at sample photos for many cameras. After that, she
    >may decide that a Canon G6 or a Digital Rebel might be a good
    >choice. Years from now after the camera breaks, all she will be
    >left with is the images that it took.

    The original post isn't on my server yet, so I'm going to start here.
    Every one is different. At 15 I would have wanted the best camera I
    could afford. Well, that's not true, at 15 I would have wanted much
    more than I could afford which is still the case. <:))

    However in this case if she really wants a compact point and shoot,
    take her to the local camera store and have them talk to her about the
    quality of the shots and what type of shooting conditions she may
    likely encounter. Even then, her preference may be for a compact
    point and shoot over quality of images, but the camera should be
    rugged. Just make sure she is informed and go from there. A lot of
    people never do know what they want. Remember there are those who are
    happy with the image quality from a cell phone camera.

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    Roger Halstead, Sep 17, 2004
  17. Edward

    Steve Berger Guest

    I think that the cannon elf series is perfect for a 15 year old. I 've used
    it for a few years with my family with great results. I've just upgraded to
    a Nikon 8700.
    Steve Berger, Sep 17, 2004
  18. Edward

    Ron Hunter Guest

    JK wrote:

    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >

    >>JK wrote:
    >>
    >>>The smaller cameras aren't very practical if one wants to take photos
    >>>indoors without using a flash or tripod. Tell her to read some camera
    >>>review sites like dpreview and steves-digicams. Tell her that it is
    >>>much more important how the photos look than how the camera looks.
    >>>Have her look at sample photos for many cameras. After that, she
    >>>may decide that a Canon G6 or a Digital Rebel might be a good
    >>>choice. Years from now after the camera breaks, all she will be
    >>>left with is the images that it took.

    >>You recommend a camera the size of a small purse to someone who
    >>specified SMALL as a primary consideration?

    > A G6 is small compared to a digital slr. Many people ask about small
    > cameras since they don't realize how much they would have to sacrifice
    > by choosing a small camera. I would also prefer a shirt pocket sized
    > camera if I could find one that performs like the Digital Rebel(i want
    > relatively low noise 1600 ISO images, and the ability to use an f1.4
    > or f1.8 lens).

    And I assume you are 15 years old? I would rather doubt that the
    subject of this discussion could tell you what 'low noise' or '1600
    ISO', or 'f1.8 lens' means. Unless I miss my guess, the person in
    question is looking for a camera to take candid snapshots of friends,
    not do portraits for profit, or nature photography for publication, or
    photos for artistic expression. In short, buying her a DR would be like
    giving her a 747. A bit too big and expensive for the stated purpose.

    Ron Hunter, Sep 18, 2004
  19. Edward

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Roger Halstead wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 09:23:52 -0400, JK <> wrote:
    >

    >>The smaller cameras aren't very practical if one wants to take photos
    >>indoors without using a flash or tripod. Tell her to read some camera
    >>review sites like dpreview and steves-digicams. Tell her that it is
    >>much more important how the photos look than how the camera looks.
    >>Have her look at sample photos for many cameras. After that, she
    >>may decide that a Canon G6 or a Digital Rebel might be a good
    >>choice. Years from now after the camera breaks, all she will be
    >>left with is the images that it took.

    > The original post isn't on my server yet, so I'm going to start here.
    > Every one is different. At 15 I would have wanted the best camera I
    > could afford. Well, that's not true, at 15 I would have wanted much
    > more than I could afford which is still the case. <:))

    At 15 I used an Argus C3, when I could talk my brother out of it.

    Ron Hunter, Sep 18, 2004
  20. Edward

    JK Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:

    > JK wrote:
    > >
    > > Ron Hunter wrote:

    > >>You recommend a camera the size of a small purse to someone who
    > >>specified SMALL as a primary consideration?

    > > A G6 is small compared to a digital slr. Many people ask about small
    > > cameras since they don't realize how much they would have to sacrifice
    > > by choosing a small camera. I would also prefer a shirt pocket sized
    > > camera if I could find one that performs like the Digital Rebel(i want
    > > relatively low noise 1600 ISO images, and the ability to use an f1.4
    > > or f1.8 lens).
    > >

    > And I assume you are 15 years old? I would rather doubt that the
    > subject of this discussion could tell you what 'low noise' or '1600
    > ISO', or 'f1.8 lens' means. Unless I miss my guess, the person in
    > question is looking for a camera to take candid snapshots

    How many candid photos can you take while using the flash? Perhaps
    not more than one?

    JK, Sep 18, 2004