    the input of the user. I know there must be a way, because there are
    automatic book scanners that do that kind of thing.
    , Jul 9, 2007

  2. ray Guest

    On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 00:01:53 +0000, dmehling wrote:

    > I am trying to design a robotic page turning machine and I would like
    > the ability to take pictures of every page that is turned with a
    > digital camera. Is there any way to have either a microcontroller or
    > a software program to automatically have the camera take a picture
    > every five or 10 seconds? I know there are software programs where
    > you can remotely trigger the camera to take a picture, but it requires
    > the input of the user. I know there must be a way, because there are
    > automatic book scanners that do that kind of thing.

    A lot of cameras, e.g. Kodak P850, can be set to take a picture every five
    or 10 seconds.
    ray, Jul 9, 2007

  3. Guest

    On Jul 8, 7:27 pm, ray <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 00:01:53 +0000, dmehling wrote:
    > > I am trying to design a robotic page turning machine and I would like
    > > the ability to take pictures of every page that is turned with a
    > > digital camera. Is there any way to have either a microcontroller or
    > > a software program to automatically have the camera take a picture
    > > every five or 10 seconds? I know there are software programs where
    > > you can remotely trigger the camera to take a picture, but it requires
    > > the input of the user. I know there must be a way, because there are
    > > automatic book scanners that do that kind of thing.

    > A lot of cameras, e.g. Kodak P850, can be set to take a picture every five
    > or 10 seconds.

    That was just a rough figure. There will be many variables in regard
    to timing, and the camera will need to take a picture during a
    specific point in the sequence of turning the page. This will be an
    entirely automated process, and the robot will need to have control
    over the camera.
    , Jul 9, 2007
  4. writes:

    > I am trying to design a robotic page turning machine and I would like
    > the ability to take pictures of every page that is turned with a
    > digital camera. Is there any way to have either a microcontroller or
    > a software program to automatically have the camera take a picture
    > every five or 10 seconds? I know there are software programs where
    > you can remotely trigger the camera to take a picture, but it requires
    > the input of the user. I know there must be a way, because there are
    > automatic book scanners that do that kind of thing.

    If I remember correctly, Olympus offers a SDK that you can use to write your
    own program to interact with the camera (for the current generation of cameras,
    it is mostly the DSLRs).

    If you use Linux, gphoto2 can remotely trigger via the command line, depending
    on the camera (be sure to check the compatibility list, most cameras can't do
    this).

    Some cameras have an infrared trigger, and you might be able to program an
    infrared device to mimic the natice trigger.

    Some cameras support a wired shutter release, and if you are not adverse to a
    little cable slicing, you can make your own trigger.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Jul 9, 2007
  5. ray Guest

    On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 00:36:17 +0000, dmehling wrote:

    > On Jul 8, 7:27 pm, ray <> wrote:
    >> On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 00:01:53 +0000, dmehling wrote:
    >> > I am trying to design a robotic page turning machine and I would like
    >> > the ability to take pictures of every page that is turned with a
    >> > digital camera. Is there any way to have either a microcontroller or
    >> > a software program to automatically have the camera take a picture
    >> > every five or 10 seconds? I know there are software programs where
    >> > you can remotely trigger the camera to take a picture, but it requires
    >> > the input of the user. I know there must be a way, because there are
    >> > automatic book scanners that do that kind of thing.

    >> A lot of cameras, e.g. Kodak P850, can be set to take a picture every five
    >> or 10 seconds.

    > That was just a rough figure. There will be many variables in regard
    > to timing, and the camera will need to take a picture during a
    > specific point in the sequence of turning the page. This will be an
    > entirely automated process, and the robot will need to have control
    > over the camera.

    Have you tried your camera maker's web site for an SDK?
    ray, Jul 9, 2007
  6. Modern digital SLR cameras have an electrical remote shutter release (as
    opposed to a plunger shutter release mechanism in some film SLR's). These
    must be a cable, plug to go in the camera and a hand operated switch. buy
    one of these and replace the switch with a relay or electronic switch. See
    for example of remote shutter cables on Canons web site for remotes for
    their 400D, 5D etc digital SLR's
    Malcolm
    Malcolm Smith, Jul 9, 2007
  7. Ray Fischer Guest

    <> wrote:
    >I am trying to design a robotic page turning machine and I would like
    >the ability to take pictures of every page that is turned with a
    >digital camera. Is there any way to have either a microcontroller or
    >a software program to automatically have the camera take a picture
    >every five or 10 seconds?

    Yep. Don't know about others, but Canon produces a software
    development kit that allows you to control camera functions via
    software.

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Jul 9, 2007
  8. You are right Ray - I was forgetting - I run my 1Canon Ds tethered to a
    laptop in my studio and the camera can be fired from the Laptop (a feature I
    don't use very often) and the data is downloaded to the laptop (ie not
    stored in the incamera flash card). I find this very convenient as I can
    see a decent size histogram and, if required, enlarge the image to full
    screen.

    In my previous post I was suggesting a simpler solution. I use a remote
    firing cable for my camera which is about 75cm long which I believe has a
    switch at one end and has a plug for the camera at the other. The proposed
    solution is to buy one of these cables and replace the switch with relay
    contacts or an electronic switch.

    Malcolm
    Malcolm Smith, Jul 9, 2007
  9. Ray Fischer Guest

    Malcolm Smith <> wrote:
    >You are right Ray - I was forgetting - I run my 1Canon Ds tethered to a
    >laptop in my studio and the camera can be fired from the Laptop (a feature I
    >don't use very often) and the data is downloaded to the laptop (ie not
    >stored in the incamera flash card). I find this very convenient as I can
    >see a decent size histogram and, if required, enlarge the image to full
    >screen.
    >
    >In my previous post I was suggesting a simpler solution. I use a remote
    >firing cable for my camera which is about 75cm long which I believe has a
    >switch at one end and has a plug for the camera at the other. The proposed
    >solution is to buy one of these cables and replace the switch with relay
    >contacts or an electronic switch.

    Simple is good, but if you're going to all the trouble to build a
    robotic page-turner then you're probably willing to go to the trouble
    of writing your own software.

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Jul 11, 2007