Digital camera comparison.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Chris Berry, May 3, 2004.

  1. Chris Berry

    Chris Berry Guest

    Hi All,
    I've been looking at buying a new digital camera since offloading my Nikon
    Coolpix 900 series and have been looking at the following:

    Canon A60: Great and cheap all rounder 150 Euros
    Canon A70: In between - have heard that it's slower than the A60 220 Euros
    Canon A75: another in-betweenie: 260 Euros
    Canon A80: Additional features and bigger ccd but also a lot more expensive.
    300 Euros.

    Most of the time it's for snaps so the ability to print in 8x10 is likely to
    be left to my slr but is there much of a difference in normal use between
    these to justify the price difference?
    I never had much fun using the flash on the Nikon (it sucked) and have tried
    an A60 and A10 and they're just so easy to use - and the pics look great
    too.
    Do you guys have any experience of the above? know of other models I should
    try out?
    Thanks.
    cb

    Chris Berry, May 3, 2004

  2. Chris Berry

    ArtKramr Guest

    >Subject: Digital camera comparison.
    >From: "Chris Berry"
    >Date: 5/3/04 7:12 AM Pacific Daylight Time
    >
    >Hi All,
    >I've been looking at buying a new digital camera since offloading my Nikon
    >Coolpix 900 series and have been looking at the following:
    >
    >Canon A60: Great and cheap all rounder 150 Euros
    >Canon A70: In between - have heard that it's slower than the A60 220 Euros
    >Canon A75: another in-betweenie: 260 Euros
    >Canon A80: Additional features and bigger ccd but also a lot more expensive.
    >300 Euros.
    >
    >Most of the time it's for snaps so the ability to print in 8x10 is likely to
    >be left to my slr but is there much of a difference in normal use between
    >these to justify the price difference?
    >I never had much fun using the flash on the Nikon (it sucked) and have tried
    >an A60 and A10 and they're just so easy to use - and the pics look great
    >too.
    >Do you guys have any experience of the above? know of other models I should
    >try out?
    >Thanks.
    >cb

    Before you decide take a look at the Kodak DX6490.

    Arthur Kramer
    344th BG 494th BS
    Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    ArtKramr, May 3, 2004

  3. Chris Berry

    Daniel Guest

    Hi,
    Put me down for one vote on the Canon A60. It's cheap, easy to use and you
    can get some pretty good photos out of it. I do a lot of bicycling and
    wanted to cheaper camera to carry during biking. I figured a more expensive
    one would just stay home "safe and sound" and I would have missed lots of
    interesting photos. Most of the time I shoot at the 1024x768 resolution and
    print up some pretty sharp 4x5 inch photos.On occasion I will shoot at the
    1600x1200 resolution. Also, I have found that the more you spend on a
    digital camera, the more stuff you have to learn about - the functionality
    get really crazy and you seem to have to carry the manual with you
    everywhere :) So, if you want to spend about 50% for that extra 1 megapixal
    in the Canon A70, go right ahead. My photos are sharp enough for me. And
    like most digital cameras, it pays to run the image through a sharpening
    program. Oh wait, I thing my Canon has a menu feature to change the "photo
    effect" " :)

    Oh .... and a PLUS for the camera - it uses the standard AA batteries. I use
    the rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride kind. Lots of the digital cameras have
    the very expensive proprietary batteries.

    Good luck

    Dan

    Daniel, May 3, 2004