    w/binoculars?

    & I wonder if you can get a decent 5x7 pic with them?

    Elliot in NJ.
    elliot, Sep 27, 2004

  2. elliot

    Linda_N Guest

    "elliot" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Any suggestions on the better brand/model for a good digital camera
    > w/binoculars?
    >
    > & I wonder if you can get a decent 5x7 pic with them?
    >
    > Elliot in NJ.

    It depends on the camera you're using. The largest problem you'll have using
    binoculars (actually go for a monocular) is shake. There are a number of
    stabilized binoculars including Canon, but they're costly. Spotting scopes
    work like magic but again for 'high quality', image stabilized, monoculars
    you're looking at 800+usd, else you'll need to use the tripod, and you'll
    have to make sure your camara's lens is adaptable to the scope, monocular or
    1 binocular eye cup. There are a number of adapters out there already for
    different model P & S cameras.

    Brunton puts out a really neat Macroscope if you can get your hands on one
    (that model is almost always sold out the same day they get a new order in).
    That monoscope has excellent low light performance and works perfectly with
    a lot of P&S cameras for both macro and telephoto shots. Very nice for
    $149usd.

    Linda
    Linda_N, Sep 27, 2004

  3. Personally, I think it is a waste of money. The pictures could be only taken
    when binocular is absolutely steady, which is impossible with hand held and
    without some kind of remote control binoculars. I received one as a
    Christmas gift, but I returned it to the store. No matter what I tried, even
    under very good conditions, the pictures were always lousy.

    Jan

    Jan Nademlejnsky, Sep 28, 2004
  4. elliot

    Gadgets Guest

    Some of those cheapies shoot digi thru separate optics, not what you are
    viewing bino thru... and then you're only looking at 1 or 2 MP maybe, with
    poor quality plastic/glass if you're lucky, on a cheapie CCD. Maybe some
    good models exist, but I haven't seen them!

    Cheers, Jason (remove ... to reply)
    Video & Gaming: http://gadgetaus.com
    Gadgets, Sep 28, 2004
  5. elliot

    Jer Guest

    elliot wrote:

    > Any suggestions on the better brand/model for a good digital camera
    > w/binoculars?
    >
    > & I wonder if you can get a decent 5x7 pic with them?
    >
    > Elliot in NJ.

    I'm unaware of any camera that doubles as binoculars. There are
    binoculars that have a digital image capture feature, Meade is one brand
    that comes to mind.

    --
    jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
    Jer, Sep 28, 2004
  6. elliot

    nospam Guest

    In article <cjc45m$>, Jer <>
    wrote:

    > elliot wrote:
    >
    > > Any suggestions on the better brand/model for a good digital camera
    > > w/binoculars?
    > >
    > > & I wonder if you can get a decent 5x7 pic with them?
    > >
    > > Elliot in NJ.

    > I'm unaware of any camera that doubles as binoculars. There are
    > binoculars that have a digital image capture feature, Meade is one brand
    > that comes to mind.

    <http://www.pentaxusa.com/products/cameras/camera_overview.cfm?productid
    =60011>

    The Pentax DigiBino DB100 is the world's first digital camera binocular.
    nospam, Sep 28, 2004
  7. elliot

    Gadgets Guest

    Gadgets, Sep 29, 2004
  8. elliot

    Linda_N Guest

    Oh you're talking about the built in cam/binocular units. Yip they are a
    waste of time. There is a Meade 2.something megapixel that would be fine for
    emailing pictures, but nothing out there can produce a picture worth
    printing.

    The Brunton Macroscope can be attached to some digital cameras. It gives a
    large range, but can also focus down to 18 inches to use in close up shots.
    It has good low light performance, and a tripod mount hole. For $149 it is a
    really cheap lens that gives good close up and zoom performance.

    Linda

    Linda_N, Sep 29, 2004
  9. I had the Meade 2MP unit and sold it off. It was a poor camera. It did work
    better with their new firmware, but was still a poor camera. Without an
    image stabilizer, most of the shots are not quite what you want. It's nearly
    impossible to hold it still. At least the newer firmware made an effort to
    reduce the image distortion from the motion induced smearing. And, it just
    wasn't a good camera. The images lacked good color and contrast.

    While it's more money, what is a good camera is the Canon S1 IS with 10X
    optical zoom and true optical image stabilizer. It also has usable 3.2X
    digital zoom. And with a Canon 1.6X teleconvertor, that's like 50X of usable
    magnification.

    Bye.

    David Sommers, Sep 29, 2004