    Please reply to: | "When the press is free and every man
    pciszek at panix dot com | able to read, all is safe."
    Autoreply has been disabled | --Thomas Jefferson

    Paul Ciszek, Jun 5, 2005

  2. Paul Ciszek

    brotherhug Guest

    Once you've used a Lithiom Ion battery such as the one the comes with
    the Canon D10, you'll never think about AA's again...

    brotherhug, Jun 5, 2005

  3. Paul Ciszek

    Nostrobino Guest

    "Paul Ciszek" <> wrote in message
    > My camera came with a pair of "digital camera" batteries, but will
    > also run on 4 AA's. In fact, it looks to me like each "digital
    > camera" battery is just two AA's joined by a plastic frame. Is
    > there any reason to prefer one over the other? Which option costs
    > less per mAhr?

    What you have are almost certainly lithium batteries made to take the place
    of standard AA cells. They are made in that configuration because each
    lithium battery has a higher voltage, roughly equal to two standard AA
    cells.

    Those lithium batteries have much greater capacity than regular alkaline AA
    cells, but are also much more expensive. The *best* option for most users is
    to not use either, but use NiMH rechargeable batteries in the AA size. Four
    AA size NiMH cells plus a fast charger are not too expensive, and if good
    quality and properly cared for, the same set (or better yet, that plus an
    extra set) should last a long time. You could keep the lithium batteries for
    an emergency situation when may run out of charged NiMHs.

    Your camera manual should mention the use of NiMH cells. They are suitable
    and recommended for all cameras that I've ever seen that take regular AA
    cells, though their nominal voltage is slightly lower than alkalines.

    N.

    Nostrobino, Jun 5, 2005
  4. Paul Ciszek

    Big Bill Guest

    On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 20:28:33 +0000 (UTC), (Paul
    Ciszek) wrote:

    >My camera came with a pair of "digital camera" batteries, but will
    >also run on 4 AA's. In fact, it looks to me like each "digital
    >camera" battery is just two AA's joined by a plastic frame. Is
    >there any reason to prefer one over the other? Which option costs
    >less per mAhr?

    Those are CR-V3 batteries, probably, and are usually lithium
    batteries, not rechargable, although there are rechargable lithium ion
    CR-V3s.
    If they aren't rechargable, they are one-shot throwaway deals,
    obviously more expensive than rechargable AAs.
    Most people use NiMH rechargable AAs, as they represent the best
    economic choice now.

    --
    Big Bill
    Replace "g" with "a"

    Big Bill, Jun 5, 2005
  5. Paul Ciszek

    Ron Hunter Guest

    brotherhug wrote:
    > Once you've used a Lithiom Ion battery such as the one the comes with
    > the Canon D10, you'll never think about AA's again...

    Until the day when you run out of power and don't have a spare battery....

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Jun 6, 2005
  6. Paul Ciszek

    Charlie Self Guest

    Big Bill wrote:
    > On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 20:28:33 +0000 (UTC), (Paul
    > Ciszek) wrote:
    >
    > >My camera came with a pair of "digital camera" batteries, but will
    > >also run on 4 AA's. In fact, it looks to me like each "digital
    > >camera" battery is just two AA's joined by a plastic frame. Is
    > >there any reason to prefer one over the other? Which option costs
    > >less per mAhr?

    > Those are CR-V3 batteries, probably, and are usually lithium
    > batteries, not rechargable, although there are rechargable lithium ion
    > CR-V3s.
    > If they aren't rechargable, they are one-shot throwaway deals,
    > obviously more expensive than rechargable AAs.
    > Most people use NiMH rechargable AAs, as they represent the best
    > economic choice now.

    Yup. My Pentax *istD gets about 1250 to 1400 shots on the CRV3
    batteries and about 550 to 700 shots on each charge on NiMH AA
    rechargeables. The difference: the CRV3 batteries cost about $20 a pop,
    while four NiMH AAs cost half that, and can be recharged at least 250
    times, possibly as many as 600 times (that's the translation of what
    1000+ charges in manufacturese means).

    I believe it pays to keep a couple CRV3s in the bag--10 year shelf
    life--for those days when somehow you haven't gotten your three sets of
    NiMHs up to snuff. Cheap insurance against a power failure.

    Rechargeable lithium ion CRV3s are available, but it is going to cost a
    ton of bucks for the charger, and two tons for the batteries.

    Charlie Self, Jun 6, 2005
  7. Paul Ciszek

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Charlie Self" <> writes:
    > Yup. My Pentax *istD gets about 1250 to 1400 shots on the CRV3
    > batteries and about 550 to 700 shots on each charge on NiMH AA
    > rechargeables. The difference: the CRV3 batteries cost about $20 a pop,
    > while four NiMH AAs cost half that, and can be recharged at least 250
    > times, possibly as many as 600 times (that's the translation of what
    > 1000+ charges in manufacturese means).

    You could try lithium AA batteries which should be similar to the
    CRV3's. You can get them for $1.50 or so each, $1.00 if you know
    where to shop.

    Paul Rubin, Jun 6, 2005
  8. Paul Ciszek

    Roger Guest

    On 05 Jun 2005 17:19:24 -0700, Paul Rubin
    <http://> wrote:

    >"Charlie Self" <> writes:

    >You could try lithium AA batteries which should be similar to the
    >CRV3's. You can get them for $1.50 or so each, $1.00 if you know
    >where to shop.

    Charlie,

    Can you give me a clue on where to shop? :). I haven't found Lithiums
    anywhere near that price.

    Thanks,
    Roger

    Roger, Jun 6, 2005
  9. Paul Ciszek

    Ron Guest

    Look around for rechargeable CR-V3s; prices are coming down. I find that
    in one of my P&S Olys the results are far better than NiMH's. I'll grant
    that different cameras place different stress levels on batteries, but
    don't rule out the CR-V3s. Of course, failing that, get NiMH's and a one
    hour charger. It's hard to go wrong with any brand these days.

    Ron, Jun 6, 2005
  10. Paul Ciszek

    Paul Rubin Guest

    http://www.batterystation.com/lithium.htm