    do some cameras need battery replacement less frequently than others?

    best, Aaron

    , Nov 4, 2007

  2. Guest

    On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 08:54:13 -0800, ""
    <> wrote:

    >I am shopping for a new digital camera that would cost under $150.
    >My question, is the battery usage of all digital camera the same, or
    >do some cameras need battery replacement less frequently than others?
    >
    >best, Aaron

    Generally speaking replacing batteries in a digital camera is not
    done.

    Digital cameras either use a rechargeable proprietary Lithium ion
    battery or use NIMH AA rechargeable. With the introduction of
    low self discharge NIMH batteries such as the Sanyo Eneloop or
    the Hybrid types I would lean toward these over the Lithium ions..
    Lithium ion batteries work great but they are proprietary and start
    to slowly degrade from the time of their manufacturing. They'll do
    this even if they aren't used. After about five years a Lithium ion
    loses much of it's capacity.

    As far as non rechargeable go....many Digital cameras now days can
    use alkaline AA's, refer to the manual. Some can also use the non
    rechargeable Lithium AA's, refer to the manual. Why bother with these
    when you have a rechargeable choice.

    , Nov 4, 2007

  3. Not4wood Guest

    Thats why we have rechargeable batteries, so you don't have to go out and
    buy AA's so many times. Cheaper in the long run too.

    My little P&S, uses the rechargeable. When were on vacation and I'm
    shooting heavy, I will recharge overnight remembering to put the charger
    back in my carry bag so I wont forget it in a Hotel. LOL I have gotten the
    Battery Low warning but it was at the end of a very long day. Doesn't
    happen too often but it does happen. On my DSLR, I will get a second
    battery. I didn't get one yesterday at the moment of purchase I guess I
    felt that I was buying too much at a time. LOL I'll wait, and just make
    sure I wont forget.

    Not4wood

    Not4wood, Nov 4, 2007
  4. Paul Allen Guest

    "" <> wrote:

    > I am shopping for a new digital camera that would cost under $150.
    > My question, is the battery usage of all digital camera the same, or
    > do some cameras need battery replacement less frequently than others?

    Two completely different questions.

    Digital cameras generally differ in their battery usage. There is
    a standard way to measure how many shots a camera can take on a fresh
    charge. The various camera review sites report these things. See
    http://www.dpreview.com, for example.

    It's probably true that for the typical snapshooter the camera will
    become obsolete before the batteries need replacement. Li-ion batteries
    are supposed to have useful lives of at least three years from date
    of manufacture. I have two that are 16 months old and doing fine.
    My experience with NiMH batteries is that it varies. I bought three
    sets of four in 2001 and rotated them through an Oly C-700. One set
    stopped holding a charge at about five years. The other two are
    rotating through a short wave radio to see how long they'll go.

    Paul Allen

    Paul Allen, Nov 4, 2007
  5. ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 08:54:13 -0800, wrote:

    > I am shopping for a new digital camera that would cost under $150.
    > My question, is the battery usage of all digital camera the same, or
    > do some cameras need battery replacement less frequently than others?

    There's quite a wide range of battery performance. Generally, the
    number of shots quoted by manufacturers in their manuals is fairly
    accurate, and they're usually available as downloadable PDF files.
    I'd suggest ignoring battery performance initially. Look for
    cameras that are suitable for your purposes, and then compare
    battery performance. Otherwise, you might end up with a camera that
    takes many pictures from a battery set (or per charge), but is
    otherwise a pretty dismal camera. Also, do you intend to take most
    of your pictures indoors, using the camera's flash, or outdoors?
    Use the LCD display or an optical viewfinder?

    Although somewhat above your price range, Canon's A6## cameras
    usually turn in very good battery performance. For the recent A630
    (which uses 4 AA cells), if the LCD is used and half of the pictures
    are taken using the flash, it should be good for 350 shots using
    alkaline AA cells and 500 shots per charge from NiMH cells. If the
    flash isn't used and the optical viewfinder is used instead, the
    number of shots increases to 1,200 shots from alkalines and 1,500
    shots/charge from NiMH.

    Several of Nikon's smaller cameras (which use 2 AA cells) that
    meet your price requirement are the L6, L11 and L12. While not
    having the flexibility of Canon's A6## cameras (they lack fully
    manual control), have some sophisticated features, and have battery
    performance that ranges from decent to excellent. The manual only
    provides battery life info. for taking pictures using the more
    demanding test (half of the shots using the flash, and using the LCD
    display - in this case a "must"). The L6 is rated at 400 shots
    using alkalines, 540 shots using NiMH and 1,000 shots using lithium
    AA cells. The L11 gets 250 shots (with alkaline), 300(NiMH) and
    600(lithium). The L12 should be good for 150 shots (with alkaline),
    370(NiMH) and 600(lithium). The L12 has more 'features', such as
    true image stabilization, but they're probably the reason why it
    goes through batteries more quickly. All of this info. was culled
    from the manuals, so if you're interested in any other cameras,
    download their manuals and compare . . .

    ASAAR, Nov 4, 2007
  6. Chris W Guest

    wrote:
    > On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 08:54:13 -0800, ""
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I am shopping for a new digital camera that would cost under $150.
    >> My question, is the battery usage of all digital camera the same, or
    >> do some cameras need battery replacement less frequently than others?
    >>
    >> best, Aaron

    > Generally speaking replacing batteries in a digital camera is not
    > done.

    Just because you use rechargeable batteries doesn't mean you don't have
    to replace them. When the set in the camera go dead, you need to put a
    fresh set in. Unless you are willing to stop what you are doing and
    wait for the only set you have to recharge. I think the OP is looking
    for long battery life so he doesn't have to swap out a set of cells or
    recharge very often. Also all rechargeable cells can only be recharged
    a certain number of times before they need to be replaced. The more
    shots you can take before recharging the longer the cells are going to last.

    --
    Chris W
    KE5GIX

    "Protect your digital freedom and privacy, eliminate DRM,
    learn more at http://www.defectivebydesign.org/what_is_drm"

    Ham Radio Repeater Database.
    http://hrrdb.com

    Chris W, Nov 5, 2007
  7. Not4wood Guest

    LOL, thats why you have more then one. While one is dying you already have
    a fully charged battery waiting to go.
    If its a real important job, you will have a charger setup in one corner
    some where charging the battery that was just pulled and another one or two
    still charged in your pocket also waiting to be used.

    If its an important job, you dont want to have packs of AA's flying around
    that might not last half as long as a fully recharged Lithium.

    Not4wood

    Not4wood, Nov 5, 2007
  8. wrote:
    > I am shopping for a new digital camera that would cost under $150.
    > My question, is the battery usage of all digital camera the same, or
    > do some cameras need battery replacement less frequently than others?

    Usually the reviews will mention the battery life. It does vary pretty
    widely, but realistically, 300 shots per recharge is not all that much
    of a disadvantage over 500 shots per recharge, and I wouldn't make that
    much of factor in deciding which camera to buy.

    As to the type of battery, for sub-compact cameras, you have no choice,
    all of them use Li-Ion battery packs because of the energy density. For
    compact cameras, some of the lower-priced ones use AA batteries, while
    the higher-level ones usually use Li-Ion. For digital SLRs, almost all
    of them use Li-Ion batteries because of several important advantages.

    You can look at "http://batterydata.com" for details on the trade-offs
    of NiMH (AA) versus proprietary Li-Ion packs. There are advantages and
    disadvantages for each.

    =?UTF-8?B?U01TIOaWr+iSguaWh+KAoiDlpI8=?=, Nov 6, 2007
  9. Not4wood wrote:
    > LOL, thats why you have more then one. While one is dying you already have
    > a fully charged battery waiting to go.
    > If its a real important job, you will have a charger setup in one corner
    > some where charging the battery that was just pulled and another one or two
    > still charged in your pocket also waiting to be used.
    >
    > If its an important job, you dont want to have packs of AA's flying around
    > that might not last half as long as a fully recharged Lithium.

    No professional or prosumer digital SLRs use AA batteries, so I don't
    think any "important job" would have AA's anyway, unless someone is
    using AA trays in a vertical grip. In that case, the AA's are already in
    a tray and can be quickly swapped. though not easily recharged as you'd
    need two chargers or a six cell charger. I think that the only current
    production D-SLR that uses AA batteries is the Pentax K100D/K110D, which
    is a very entry-level model that no professional would ever use.

    =?UTF-8?B?U01TIOaWr+iSguaWh+KAoiDlpI8=?=, Nov 6, 2007
  10. Guest

    On Nov 5, 3:55 am, "Not4wood" <no_mgottes@spam_verizon.net> wrote:
    > LOL, thats why you have more then one. While one is dying you already have
    > a fully charged battery waiting to go.
    > If its a real important job, you will have a charger setup in one corner
    > some where charging the battery that was just pulled and another one or two
    > still charged in your pocket also waiting to be used.
    >
    > If its an important job, you dont want to have packs of AA's flying around
    > that might not last half as long as a fully recharged Lithium.
    >
    > Not4wood
    >
    > "Chris W" <> wrote in message

    > > wrote:

    > >> Generally speaking replacing batteries in a digital camera is not
    > >> done.

    > > Just because you use rechargeable batteries doesn't mean you don't have to
    > > replace them. When the set in the camera go dead, you need to put a fresh
    > > set in. Unless you are willing to stop what you are doing and wait for
    > > the only set you have to recharge. I think the OP is looking for long
    > > battery life so he doesn't have to swap out a set of cells or recharge
    > > very often. Also all rechargeable cells can only be recharged a certain
    > > number of times before they need to be replaced. The more shots you can
    > > take before recharging the longer the cells are going to last.

    > > --
    > > Chris W
    > > KE5GIX

    > > "Protect your digital freedom and privacy, eliminate DRM,
    > > learn more athttp://www.defectivebydesign.org/what_is_drm"

    > > Ham Radio Repeater Database.
    > >http://hrrdb.com

    *****************************************************************************************************************************************
    reply to all of the good people who answered my initial question:
    thank you thank you for your informative posts.! This morning I
    purchased a Sanyo Eneloop charger with 8 rechargeable batteries from
    Costco for about $25. On a different thread Eneloop was very highly
    recommended because the batteries do not lose their charge as others
    when not being used and come fully charged when purchased. Best, Aaron

    , Nov 6, 2007
  11. Guest

    >reply to all of the good people who answered my initial question:
    >thank you thank you for your informative posts.! This morning I
    >purchased a Sanyo Eneloop charger with 8 rechargeable batteries from
    >Costco for about $25. On a different thread Eneloop was very highly
    >recommended because the batteries do not lose their charge as others
    >when not being used and come fully charged when purchased. Best, Aaron

    You won't be disappointed with these batteries. Read this thread :

    A further advantage in using the AA's is if you happen to not have
    your rechargeable at hand or ready you can always purchase a non
    rechargeable set of AA's in either alkaline or the non rechargeable
    version of a Lithium AA. Always consult your manual first before using
    AA alkaline's or AA Lithium's. Some cameras do not recommend their
    use. Most do.

    , Nov 6, 2007
  12. John Turco Guest

    SMS ???• ? wrote:

    <edited for brevity>

    > No professional or prosumer digital SLRs use AA batteries, so I don't
    > think any "important job" would have AA's anyway, unless someone is
    > using AA trays in a vertical grip.

    Hello, Steven:

    You're wrong, sorry. The Pentax K100D, for example, can be considered a
    "prosumer digital SLR," and it's "burdened" by AA cells.

    > In that case, the AA's are already in a tray and can be quickly
    > swapped. though not easily recharged as you'd need two chargers or
    > a six cell charger. I think that the only current production D-SLR
    > that uses AA batteries is the Pentax K100D/K110D, which is a very
    > entry-level model that no professional would ever use.

    Oh, c'mon...how are you so certain that, NO pro photographer employs
    such a Pentax DSLR?

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Nov 10, 2007
  13. On Nov 9, 8:17 pm, John Turco <> wrote:

    > > In that case, the AA's are already in a tray and can be quickly
    > > swapped. though not easily recharged as you'd need two chargers or
    > > a six cell charger. I think that the only current production D-SLR
    > > that uses AA batteries is the Pentax K100D/K110D, which is a very
    > > entry-level model that no professional would ever use.

    > Oh, c'mon...how are you so certain that, NO pro photographer employs
    > such a Pentax DSLR?
    >
    > Cordially,
    > John Turco <>

    I agree with John. I have known several professional photographers,
    including ones working for large companies, who used pretty
    inexpensive equipment. They had to show a profit on their work- they
    could not spend a fortune. Gross income is not the main thing- profit
    is- for pros.

    Yet they took very fine pictures (some of them, anyway). A good
    photographer learns the secret is NOT in the equipment, it is in the
    eye and talent of the user.

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Nov 10, 2007
  14. JosephKK Guest

    Not4wood no_mgottes@spam_verizon.net posted to rec.photo.digital:

    > LOL, thats why you have more then one. While one is dying you
    > already have a fully charged battery waiting to go.
    > If its a real important job, you will have a charger setup in one
    > corner some where charging the battery that was just pulled and
    > another one or two still charged in your pocket also waiting to be
    > used.
    >
    > If its an important job, you dont want to have packs of AA's flying
    > around that might not last half as long as a fully recharged
    > Lithium.
    >
    > Not4wood
    >

    > "Chris W" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> wrote:

    >>> Generally speaking replacing batteries in a digital camera is not
    >>> done.

    >> Just because you use rechargeable batteries doesn't mean you don't
    >> have to
    >> replace them. When the set in the camera go dead, you need to put
    >> a fresh
    >> set in. Unless you are willing to stop what you are doing and wait
    >> for
    >> the only set you have to recharge. I think the OP is looking for
    >> long battery life so he doesn't have to swap out a set of cells or
    >> recharge
    >> very often. Also all rechargeable cells can only be recharged a
    >> certain
    >> number of times before they need to be replaced. The more shots
    >> you can take before recharging the longer the cells are going to
    >> last.
    >> --
    >> Chris W
    >> KE5GIX
    >>
    >> "Protect your digital freedom and privacy, eliminate DRM,
    >> learn more at http://www.defectivebydesign.org/what_is_drm"
    >>
    >> Ham Radio Repeater Database.
    >> http://hrrdb.com

    There are different situations. If reliable power and recharging
    equipment is handy it is very difficult to beat three (sets) of
    Li-Poly batteries. If you are are out in the woods two boxes of AA
    could be best. Proper preparation prevents poor performance. (The P5
    rule).

    JosephKK, Nov 10, 2007
  15. JosephKK Guest

    SMS 斯蒂文• å¤ posted to rec.photo.digital:

    > Not4wood wrote:
    >> LOL, thats why you have more then one. While one is dying you
    >> already have a fully charged battery waiting to go.
    >> If its a real important job, you will have a charger setup in one
    >> corner some where charging the battery that was just pulled and
    >> another one or two still charged in your pocket also waiting to be
    >> used.
    >>
    >> If its an important job, you dont want to have packs of AA's flying
    >> around that might not last half as long as a fully recharged
    >> Lithium.

    > No professional or prosumer digital SLRs use AA batteries, so I
    > don't think any "important job" would have AA's anyway, unless
    > someone is using AA trays in a vertical grip. In that case, the AA's
    > are already in a tray and can be quickly swapped. though not easily
    > recharged as you'd need two chargers or a six cell charger. I think
    > that the only current production D-SLR that uses AA batteries is the
    > Pentax K100D/K110D, which is a very entry-level model that no
    > professional would ever use.

    Please make no arrogant ASSumptions.

    JosephKK, Nov 10, 2007
  16. JosephKK Guest

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota posted to
    rec.photo.digital:

    > On Nov 9, 8:17 pm, John Turco <> wrote:
    >

    >> > In that case, the AA's are already in a tray and can be quickly
    >> > swapped. though not easily recharged as you'd need two chargers
    >> > or a six cell charger. I think that the only current production
    >> > D-SLR that uses AA batteries is the Pentax K100D/K110D, which is
    >> > a very entry-level model that no professional would ever use.

    >> Oh, c'mon...how are you so certain that, NO pro photographer
    >> employs such a Pentax DSLR?
    >>
    >> Cordially,
    >> John Turco <>

    > I agree with John. I have known several professional photographers,
    > including ones working for large companies, who used pretty
    > inexpensive equipment. They had to show a profit on their work-
    > they
    > could not spend a fortune. Gross income is not the main thing-
    > profit is- for pros.
    >
    > Yet they took very fine pictures (some of them, anyway). A good
    > photographer learns the secret is NOT in the equipment, it is in the
    > eye and talent of the user.

    Staunchly agreed. I have only a handful of very good pics to my name,
    but i have used all kinds of equipment. Sometimes it is just
    opportunity, it is rarely the equipment.
    Just the same, having good equipment to hand (not necessarily
    expensive) does improve the odds when opportunity happens.

    JosephKK, Nov 10, 2007
  17. JosephKK Guest

    posted to rec.photo.digital:

    >>reply to all of the good people who answered my initial question:
    >>thank you thank you for your informative posts.! This morning I
    >>purchased a Sanyo Eneloop charger with 8 rechargeable batteries from
    >>Costco for about $25. On a different thread Eneloop was very
    >>highly recommended because the batteries do not lose their charge as
    >>others
    >>when not being used and come fully charged when purchased. Best,
    >>Aaron

    > You won't be disappointed with these batteries. Read this thread :
    >

    > A further advantage in using the AA's is if you happen to not have
    > your rechargeable at hand or ready you can always purchase a non
    > rechargeable set of AA's in either alkaline or the non rechargeable
    > version of a Lithium AA. Always consult your manual first before
    > using AA alkaline's or AA Lithium's. Some cameras do not recommend
    > their use. Most do.

    If you change that from recommend to support / allow i will buy-off on
    it.
    Many cameras have issues with the voltage difference that using NiCad
    or NiMH (2.4V to 2.5V) instead of 3.3V (Li-ion / Li-Poly) dual
    alkaline cell equivalent) recommended batteries.

    JosephKK, Nov 10, 2007
  18. Guest

    > A good
    >photographer learns the secret is NOT in the equipment, it is in the
    >eye and talent of the user.

    I'm glad you posted this. After reading a few posts in this thread I
    was begriming to think that the battery was the secret to good photos.

    , Nov 11, 2007
  19. On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 22:16:14 -0500, wrote:
    >> A good photographer learns the secret is NOT in the equipment, it is
    >> in the eye and talent of the user.

    > I'm glad you posted this. After reading a few posts in this thread I
    > was begriming to think that the battery was the secret to good photos.

    A large cardboard box and a hat pin. Don't need no steenkin batteries!

    Allodoxaphobia, Nov 11, 2007