    Thanks a bunch,
    trek.it

    , Apr 25, 2006

  2. SMS Guest

    wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I will be travelling to Alaska in Late May this year, and in the
    > process of looking into Digital camera, currently interested ones are
    > Nikon D50, D70. Any other DSLR that you'd suggest? Beside the camera
    > body, what about the lense selection, or other necessities?

    Whatever D-SLR you select, get the longest, image-stabilized, telephoto
    you can buy.

    Bring a tripod.

    SMS, Apr 25, 2006

  3. Guest

    SMS wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Hello all,
    > >
    > > I will be travelling to Alaska in Late May this year, and in the
    > > process of looking into Digital camera, currently interested ones are
    > > Nikon D50, D70. Any other DSLR that you'd suggest? Beside the camera
    > > body, what about the lense selection, or other necessities?

    > Whatever D-SLR you select, get the longest, image-stabilized, telephoto
    > you can buy.
    >
    > Bring a tripod.

    And make sure it can take multiple pictures in succession (the more the
    better). When I took my Alaska cruise many years ago (before digital
    cameras) I used a Minolta Maxxum that could take pictures 1/2 second
    apart. I was able to get photos of a glacier calving off and falling
    into the Glacier Bay (including a shot of it hitting the water).

    - Barry

    , Apr 26, 2006
  4. wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I will be travelling to Alaska in Late May this year, and in the
    > process of looking into Digital camera, currently interested ones are
    > Nikon D50, D70. Any other DSLR that you'd suggest? Beside the camera
    > body, what about the lense selection, or other necessities?
    >
    > Also any Alaska photography tips will be really appreciated. Would
    > weather be really cold in Late May that i need to pay special
    > attention? I will visit Denali NP and Seward and the typical
    > Southbound cruise to Vancouver.
    >
    > Thanks a bunch,
    > trek.it

    What is your experience with SLR cameras? I would suggest that if you
    have experience with any given brand of SLR film camera, you will want to at
    least look at that make's digital offerings. Nikon is fine and I would say
    the same about Canon. Those are the only two I have any current experience
    with.

    I would also suggest that you get whatever camera you are considering
    into your hands to see how it feels. Frankly that is a more important
    feature than most people think. Make sure you are comfortable reaching all
    the regularly used controls.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit

    Joseph Meehan, Apr 26, 2006
  5. MrB Guest

    I lived in AK for three years. Sometimes, on Memorial Day, campgrounds are
    not free of snow. So, yes, it will be cool or cold. You will have plenty of
    daylight for photography. Denali is a beautiful mountain that is often
    shrouded in clouds. From Anchorage, 250 miles away, you can see it rise off
    the lower elevations, an extraordinary sight on a clear day. I have a D70
    which I like, but didn't use in AK. Hope you have fun.

    MrB, Apr 26, 2006
  6. SMS Guest

    wrote:
    > SMS wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> Hello all,
    >>>
    >>> I will be travelling to Alaska in Late May this year, and in the
    >>> process of looking into Digital camera, currently interested ones are
    >>> Nikon D50, D70. Any other DSLR that you'd suggest? Beside the camera
    >>> body, what about the lense selection, or other necessities?

    >> Whatever D-SLR you select, get the longest, image-stabilized, telephoto
    >> you can buy.
    >>
    >> Bring a tripod.

    > And make sure it can take multiple pictures in succession (the more the
    > better). When I took my Alaska cruise many years ago (before digital
    > cameras) I used a Minolta Maxxum that could take pictures 1/2 second
    > apart. I was able to get photos of a glacier calving off and falling
    > into the Glacier Bay (including a shot of it hitting the water).

    Very good point. I also had the same experience with glaciers, and I was
    using a film SLR.

    SMS, Apr 26, 2006
  7. Freedom55 Guest

    wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I will be travelling to Alaska in Late May this year, and in the
    > process of looking into Digital camera, currently interested ones are
    > Nikon D50, D70. Any other DSLR that you'd suggest? Beside the camera
    > body, what about the lense selection, or other necessities?
    >
    > Also any Alaska photography tips will be really appreciated. Would
    > weather be really cold in Late May that i need to pay special
    > attention? I will visit Denali NP and Seward and the typical Southbound
    > cruise to Vancouver.
    >
    > Thanks a bunch,
    > trek.it

    Whichever you buy will be quite adequate as most budget DSLRs are pretty
    good these days.

    There are a number of choices: 350XT, D-70S, D50 and E-500 (the latter
    can be had in a two lens kit which should give you a sufficient range)
    Also bring a P&S with you. It is very practical as a backup camera and
    the movie mode can be quite handy. Did I mention extra batteries!

    Ron

    --
    And it really doesn't matter if
    I'm wrong I'm right

    Lennon & McCartney

    Freedom55, Apr 26, 2006
  8. <> wrote in message
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I will be travelling to Alaska in Late May this year, and in the
    > process of looking into Digital camera, currently interested ones are
    > Nikon D50, D70. Any other DSLR that you'd suggest? Beside the camera
    > body, what about the lense selection, or other necessities?
    >
    > Also any Alaska photography tips will be really appreciated. Would
    > weather be really cold in Late May that i need to pay special
    > attention? I will visit Denali NP and Seward and the typical Southbound
    > cruise to Vancouver.
    >
    > Thanks a bunch,
    > trek.it

    This reminds me of a question I was going to ask before my trip to the north
    of Canada.

    I have noticed that many photos taken in northern climes appear more black
    and white than colourful. All of these that I know of have been taken with
    auto exposure cameras.

    What should I do with my settings to ensure there is some colour in my
    photos?

    Gerrit - Oz

    Gerrit 't Hart, Apr 26, 2006
  9. Ron Hunter Guest

    wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I will be travelling to Alaska in Late May this year, and in the
    > process of looking into Digital camera, currently interested ones are
    > Nikon D50, D70. Any other DSLR that you'd suggest? Beside the camera
    > body, what about the lense selection, or other necessities?
    >
    > Also any Alaska photography tips will be really appreciated. Would
    > weather be really cold in Late May that i need to pay special
    > attention? I will visit Denali NP and Seward and the typical Southbound
    > cruise to Vancouver.
    >
    > Thanks a bunch,
    > trek.it

    Took the trip a couple of years ago, but didn't go that far north. Take
    plenty of media cards (or a laptop), and shoot as fast as you can. Grin.

    You can look at my picture on Webshots. Search for rphunter42. I
    posted 450 of my 470 pictures taken on the 7 day cruise. Sure would
    like to go back, maybe next year....
    As for lenses, a good long lens, and a good wide-angle. And don't miss
    any good picture opportunity changing lenses. In short, don't take too
    many lenses.

    Ron Hunter, Apr 26, 2006
  10. Ron Hunter Guest

    Gerrit 't Hart wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >> Hello all,
    >>
    >> I will be travelling to Alaska in Late May this year, and in the
    >> process of looking into Digital camera, currently interested ones are
    >> Nikon D50, D70. Any other DSLR that you'd suggest? Beside the camera
    >> body, what about the lense selection, or other necessities?
    >>
    >> Also any Alaska photography tips will be really appreciated. Would
    >> weather be really cold in Late May that i need to pay special
    >> attention? I will visit Denali NP and Seward and the typical Southbound
    >> cruise to Vancouver.
    >>
    >> Thanks a bunch,
    >> trek.it
    >>

    > This reminds me of a question I was going to ask before my trip to the north
    > of Canada.
    >
    > I have noticed that many photos taken in northern climes appear more black
    > and white than colourful. All of these that I know of have been taken with
    > auto exposure cameras.
    >
    > What should I do with my settings to ensure there is some colour in my
    > photos?
    >
    > Gerrit - Oz

    You will see that effect when the sun is behind heavy clouds, which is
    often the case in late May, early June. Not too much you can do about
    it. I find the effect strangely 'artistic' even though I am very
    strongly in favor of color.

    Ron Hunter, Apr 26, 2006
  11. Marvin Guest

    wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I will be travelling to Alaska in Late May this year, and in the
    > process of looking into Digital camera, currently interested ones are
    > Nikon D50, D70. Any other DSLR that you'd suggest? Beside the camera
    > body, what about the lense selection, or other necessities?
    >
    > Also any Alaska photography tips will be really appreciated. Would
    > weather be really cold in Late May that i need to pay special
    > attention? I will visit Denali NP and Seward and the typical Southbound
    > cruise to Vancouver.
    >
    > Thanks a bunch,
    > trek.it

    A wide angle lens isn't essential, but would be handy. I
    have one photo that encompasses six glaciers!

    Plan on taking many pictures. What you see is so dramatic
    that it almost requires photography. Some of the most
    dramatic views are rarely seen by tourists. One area that
    is not too far off the beaten track is on the road towards
    Tok from Anchorage.

    Marvin, Apr 26, 2006
  12. Ron Hunter Guest

    Marvin wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> Hello all,
    >>
    >> I will be travelling to Alaska in Late May this year, and in the
    >> process of looking into Digital camera, currently interested ones are
    >> Nikon D50, D70. Any other DSLR that you'd suggest? Beside the camera
    >> body, what about the lense selection, or other necessities?
    >>
    >> Also any Alaska photography tips will be really appreciated. Would
    >> weather be really cold in Late May that i need to pay special
    >> attention? I will visit Denali NP and Seward and the typical Southbound
    >> cruise to Vancouver.
    >> Thanks a bunch,
    >> trek.it
    >>

    > A wide angle lens isn't essential, but would be handy. I have one photo
    > that encompasses six glaciers!
    >
    > Plan on taking many pictures. What you see is so dramatic that it
    > almost requires photography. Some of the most dramatic views are rarely
    > seen by tourists. One area that is not too far off the beaten track is
    > on the road towards Tok from Anchorage.

    Sailing up the passage to Sawyer Glacier was the only time on my trip
    that I managed to fill up the camera's buffer and had to repeatedly wait
    for the camera to write images to the card before I could take more
    pictures. There was so much beauty to see that I was running from one
    side of the ship to the other snapping as fast as the camera would
    allow, and still didn't get everything I would have liked to capture.
    Alaska is rather breathtaking, if the cold doesn't get you, or the wind
    doesn't do it, the scenery WILL.

    Ron Hunter, Apr 27, 2006