    Keith (Southend)
    http://www.southendweather.net
    e-mail: kreh at southendweather dot net

    Keith (Southend), Nov 19, 2006

  2. Keith (Southend)

    Mike Russell Guest

    "Keith (Southend)" <> wrote in message
    news:ejo70l$343$1$...
    > For a couple of years I have been the owner of a Minolta DImage 7. I have
    > some problems with it that getting fixed would be costly, plus I would
    > like something a little smaller.
    >
    > However, the point of this post is I have a number of CompactFlash Memory
    > Cards I use with it and thought if I bought a new smaller digital camera I
    > could re-use these cards. However, as I search through the Canon, Olympus,
    > Fuji etc ranges, I find that CompactFlash is not the media now used. So
    > realy there's two parts to my question:
    >
    > 1. What new digital cameras use CompactFlash?

    There are still camera manufacturers using this format - including Nikon.

    > 2. Should I forget about CompactFlash, old technology?

    My guess is that you should not base your new purchase on this factor, or at
    least it should be lower on the list of priorities. Probably those cards
    that you paid 100 dollars and more for are not only much cheaper, but too
    small to really use in your new camera to be.
    --
    Mike Russell
    www.curvemeister.com/forum/

    Mike Russell, Nov 19, 2006

  3. Keith (Southend)

    Howard Joe Guest

    Check out http://www.steves-digicams.com/ and click on its camera reviews.
    Choose the Megapixel category and then their list of reviewed cameras will
    appear. There is a column that indicates the media used. Then choose the
    camera review of interest.

    Howard Joe, Nov 19, 2006
  4. Keith (Southend)

    Mueen Nawaz Guest

    Keith (Southend) wrote:
    > However, the point of this post is I have a number of CompactFlash
    > Memory Cards I use with it and thought if I bought a new smaller digital
    > camera I could re-use these cards. However, as I search through the
    > Canon, Olympus, Fuji etc ranges, I find that CompactFlash is not the
    > media now used. So realy there's two parts to my question:
    >
    > 1. What new digital cameras use CompactFlash?
    > 2. Should I forget about CompactFlash, old technology?

    I would hardly call CF old technology. Well, it's OLD, but not dying,
    and they keep making faster CF cards, so it's still quite present. They
    still make new cameras that use CF (Olympus, Canon digital SLR's to name
    some).

    If you want to find the cameras, go to:

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp

    Choose Compact Flash for storage types. Unfortunately, this approach
    can handle only 10 results, so you'll need to add other things to limit
    the number of results.

    As someone else posted, I wouldn't use that as a major factor. I don't
    think cards are that expensive, whatever format it is.

    --
    Factorials were made to make maths *look* interesting.

    /\ /\ /\ /
    / \/ \ u e e n / \/ a w a z

    anl

    Mueen Nawaz, Nov 19, 2006
  5. Mueen Nawaz wrote:
    > Keith (Southend) wrote:

    Thankyou for all your replies and very useful links, it's given me some
    things to think about and options to take.

    Keith (Southend), Nov 19, 2006
  6. Keith (Southend)

    Marvin Guest

    Keith (Southend) wrote:
    > For a couple of years I have been the owner of a Minolta DImage 7. I
    > have some problems with it that getting fixed would be costly, plus I
    > would like something a little smaller.
    >
    > However, the point of this post is I have a number of CompactFlash
    > Memory Cards I use with it and thought if I bought a new smaller digital
    > camera I could re-use these cards. However, as I search through the
    > Canon, Olympus, Fuji etc ranges, I find that CompactFlash is not the
    > media now used. So realy there's two parts to my question:
    >
    > 1. What new digital cameras use CompactFlash?
    > 2. Should I forget about CompactFlash, old technology?

    It shouldn't be a factor in choosing your next camera.
    Memory cards of the common kinds are inexpensive,. For
    example, you can get a 1 G SD card for $20 after rebate.

    Marvin, Nov 19, 2006