    purchasing the extended warranty is running out.

    Thanks,
    John

    John Wright, Jun 3, 2004

  2. John Wright

    Jim-G Guest

    For what it's worth,

    Our daughter has used Sony for years and is one of the best you can buy in
    her opinion. She thinks the salesman is not telling you the truth about the
    message and just ask him which button to hit to make the message go away.
    She feels Sony puts their money into the equipment and you don't need the
    warranty.

    Jim-G

    Jim-G, Jun 3, 2004

  3. John Wright wrote:
    > Does this sound right to anybody

    No, for sure not.

    > do I really need to have my camcorder
    > "cleaned" every 20 hours

    No!

    Frank Schniering, Jun 3, 2004
  4. John Wright

    PTRAVEL Guest

    "John Wright" <> wrote in message
    > Forgive my crashing your group, but I have a question:
    >
    > I recently purchased my first digital camcorder, a Sony, and the
    > salesman at the store mentioned that after between 20 and 50 hours of
    > recording time, I will get a brief error message telling me to bring
    > the camera in to the store to be cleaned...which costs about $80.

    Absolutely wrong.

    1. Pick one brand of tape, and use only that -- don't mix different
    manufacturers' tapes.
    2. Don't reuse tape. Shoot on it, capture it and store it.
    3. Use decent quality tape. I use Sony Excellence (Sony Premium, Sony's
    lower-priced offering, is okay).

    > The cynical side of me says that he was just trying to sell me on the
    > extended warranty plan, which covers the cleanings for the warranty
    > period. But I'm not sure. Does this sound right to anybody, and do I
    > really need to have my camcorder "cleaned" every 20 hours (at $80 a
    > pop)?

    Head cleaning is, for all intents and purposes, an abrasive process -- how
    abrasive depends on the technique used. Abrasion is the enemy of heads --
    you don't want to clean unless it is absolutely necessary to do so.

    PTRAVEL, Jun 3, 2004
  5. John Wright

    PTRAVEL Guest

    Sorry to followup on my own post, but I should mention this:

    I own a Sony TRV22 and VX2000 (the latter is a prosumer camcorder). I've
    easily 100-200 hours of tape on each. Neither has ever had their heads
    cleaned, nor have they needed it.

    PTRAVEL, Jun 3, 2004
  6. John Wright

    denomolos Guest

    > Forgive my crashing your group, but I have a question:
    >
    > I recently purchased my first digital camcorder, a Sony, and the
    > salesman at the store mentioned that after between 20 and 50 hours of
    > recording time, I will get a brief error message telling me to bring
    > the camera in to the store to be cleaned...which costs about $80.
    >
    > The cynical side of me says that he was just trying to sell me on the
    > extended warranty plan, which covers the cleanings for the warranty
    > period. But I'm not sure. Does this sound right to anybody, and do I
    > really need to have my camcorder "cleaned" every 20 hours (at $80 a
    > pop)?
    >
    > I could use any help I can get, because my window of opportunity for
    > purchasing the extended warranty is running out.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > John

    I had a Sharp camcorder that occasionally would need head cleaning. You can
    do this with a $10-15 head cleaning tape. I think it was a weakness of this
    particular camcorder that this cleaning was necessary. Most good camcorders
    will require this very rarely if ever.

    denomolos, Jun 4, 2004
  7. John Wright

    John Wright Guest

    "denomolos" <> wrote in message news:<8zOvc.19010$My6.1896@fed1read05>...

    > I had a Sharp camcorder that occasionally would need head cleaning. You can
    > do this with a $10-15 head cleaning tape. I think it was a weakness of this
    > particular camcorder that this cleaning was necessary. Most good camcorders
    > will require this very rarely if ever.

    Thank you to everyone who responded. My fears were confirmed. I
    appreciate the feedback.

    John

    John Wright, Jun 4, 2004