Digital camcorder recommendations please? Under $400-450

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by kristen, Jul 21, 2003.

  1. kristen

    kristen Guest

    Hi, my fiance and I want to buy a digital camcorder. I'm not sure what
    to look for and I would like some input/advice. This will be our first
    camcorder and we probably wont use it THAT much, so we dont want to
    spend too much money. He has a $250 gift certificate to Circuit City,
    so we want to buy it there. Is MiniDV format the way to go?

    I've seen a few camcorders on the CC website. Right now I am looking
    at a Panasonic PV-DV53, and Panasonic PV-DV103. It looks like the only
    difference between these is that the PV-DV103 takes still photos. I
    already have a nice Canon G3 digital camera so do I really need the
    ability to take still photos with the camcorder?

    Is Panasonic good for camcorders? The other ones online that we might
    be able to swing for are a Samsung SCD27 or a JVC GRD70. Is 10x
    Optical Zoom enough or will I be wishing I had the 16x?

    Thanks for any info!!!!

    Kristen

    kristen, Jul 21, 2003

  2. kristen

    MR Guest

    This is kinda OT for this group, but I don't think there is a camcorder NG. I have been looking at them also for
    several months. There is a forum here that you can get some info: http://www.camcorderinfo.com/d/Digital Video.htm
    Like you, I don't want to spend a lot since my use would be just casual and the way to go is definately mini dv. The
    Sony's are good, but to pricey for me. I looked at the Canon ZR's which are a nifty looking camcorder, but the ccd is
    to small(1/16") and a lot of reviews complain about the low light shooting is not good as in a room. I am now looking
    at the Sharp VL-Z3U which has a ccd of (1/4") which should give decent low light shooting and is a very small unit.
    Sharp has a VL-Z1U, VL-Z3U, VL-Z5U, VL-Z7U which have more or less bells and whistles. You can get the VL-Z3U now for
    $345 now from buydig.com delivered. Walmart has the VL-Z1U, but they want $399. You can at least handle it there
    though. I haven't looked at Panasonic since I am looking for a real small unit that my wife can handle all day.
    Good luck on your search.
    MR

    MR, Jul 22, 2003

  3. kristen

    Frank ess Guest

    "kristen" <> wrote in message
    | Hi, my fiance and I want to buy a digital camcorder. I'm not sure
    what
    | to look for and I would like some input/advice. This will be our
    first
    | camcorder and we probably wont use it THAT much, so we dont want to
    | spend too much money. He has a $250 gift certificate to Circuit City,
    | so we want to buy it there. Is MiniDV format the way to go?
    |
    | I've seen a few camcorders on the CC website. Right now I am looking
    | at a Panasonic PV-DV53, and Panasonic PV-DV103. It looks like the
    only
    | difference between these is that the PV-DV103 takes still photos. I
    | already have a nice Canon G3 digital camera so do I really need the
    | ability to take still photos with the camcorder?
    |
    | Is Panasonic good for camcorders? The other ones online that we might
    | be able to swing for are a Samsung SCD27 or a JVC GRD70. Is 10x
    | Optical Zoom enough or will I be wishing I had the 16x?
    |
    | Thanks for any info!!!!
    |
    | Kristen

    I'll bet there is a bunch of help at
    rec.desktop.video.