Digital camcorder/camera combo?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RB, Feb 25, 2006.

  1. RB

    RB Guest

    We are tired of taking both our VHS-C camcorder and our 35mm camera on
    family outings. We would like one camera that will do both tasks,
    besides, it's time to go digital. We are not interested in printing
    our digital photos at home. We'd have the prints done at Sam's Club or
    online and they'd need be no bigger than 4x6. We probably wouldn't do
    much video editing; at least not at this time.

    We were looking for a camcorder that uses mini dvd's but, after further
    research, have found that miniDV should also be considered.

    We understand that digital stills from a camcorder are not as good as
    those from a regular digital camera but are they good enough to make
    basic 4x6 prints? The Panasonic's PV-GS150 will take still pictures
    at 2.3 Megapixels and is in our price range. Would that work for 4x6
    prints. Any other options? Perhaps there's a better camcorder/camera
    for this task (in the $600 +/- range). We want to make an informed
    decision and would really appreciate feedback from people who know more
    about this subject.

    Thank you,
    R&M

    RB, Feb 25, 2006

  2. RB

    m Ransley Guest

    There are alot of camcorders out that do both, the video side will
    outperform your vhs dramatcly the photo side wont be as good as you can
    get from film or a seperate model but may be ok. You can get a sony HDR
    hc1 for apx 1200 that does HD video and 2.8 mp stills. Canon makes
    higher than Dvd resolution video for less and fair stills. You need to
    read reviews as so much is offered. New better models come out every
    day.

    m Ransley, Feb 25, 2006

  3. RB

    Roots750 Guest

    I've never seen this Samsung model SC-D363 in use, but it has both digital
    camera (memory card) and camcorder (DV)capabilities, so it could be just
    what you are looking for.

    Roots750, Feb 26, 2006
  4. m Ransley <> spewed:
    > There are alot of camcorders out that do both, the video side will
    > outperform your vhs dramatcly the photo side wont be as good as you
    > can get from film or a seperate model but may be ok. You can get a
    > sony HDR hc1 for apx 1200 that does HD video and 2.8 mp stills.
    > Canon makes higher than Dvd resolution video for less and fair
    > stills. You need to read reviews as so much is offered. New better
    > models come out every day.

    FWIW, the Samsung DuoCams have two lenses. Basically a dedicated digital
    camera within a MiniDV camcorder. I've also been looking for people's
    experience with these things, as the reviews (with example photos) are
    difficult to find. The latest, the 6550, has a 5 megapixel digital camera
    built in, with flash and lots of bells and whistles. Can be had for around
    $500 these days.

    --
    The Toe Pages: http://www.rubbertoe.com

    Robert J Batina, Feb 26, 2006
  5. RB

    dwight Guest

    "RB" <> wrote in message
    > We are tired of taking both our VHS-C camcorder and our 35mm camera on
    > family outings. We would like one camera that will do both tasks,
    > besides, it's time to go digital. We are not interested in printing
    > our digital photos at home. We'd have the prints done at Sam's Club or
    > online and they'd need be no bigger than 4x6. We probably wouldn't do
    > much video editing; at least not at this time.
    >
    > We were looking for a camcorder that uses mini dvd's but, after further
    > research, have found that miniDV should also be considered.
    >
    > We understand that digital stills from a camcorder are not as good as
    > those from a regular digital camera but are they good enough to make
    > basic 4x6 prints? The Panasonic's PV-GS150 will take still pictures
    > at 2.3 Megapixels and is in our price range. Would that work for 4x6
    > prints. Any other options? Perhaps there's a better camcorder/camera
    > for this task (in the $600 +/- range). We want to make an informed
    > decision and would really appreciate feedback from people who know more
    > about this subject.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > R&M

    I'd recommend going the other route, the Canon S3 IS (when it comes out in a
    month or two). A full-featured camera (with 12X optical zoom) with now even
    better video capabilities. AND, as I just read, it can take 6megapixel
    stills WHILE shooting video.

    C'mon...

    dwight

    dwight, Feb 26, 2006
  6. RB

    RB Guest

    Thank you all for your input! The Samsung DuoCam does seem like a
    logical choice for us, however, the reviews have not been good. There
    are some other camcorders available (JVC GR-X5, Panasonic PV-GS400,
    Sony HDR-HC1) that, according to reviews, will do exactly what we want
    but they are still out of our price range. So, we either keep waiting
    for a price drop or try one in our price range now and return it if
    isn't able to produce "snap shot" quality 4x6 prints.

    Thanks again,
    R&M

    RB, Feb 28, 2006