Digital, CAD, Architectural, Cottage

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by BNBN, Jan 21, 2005.

  1. BNBN

    BNBN Guest

    I have taken digital photographs of a cottage I wish to renovate and add
    extensions.

    The extensions would include new room additions, alteration of one part of
    the roof line, making a flat roof-deck with living space beneath, large
    sundecks, and interior design.

    The existing cottage is simplicity itself, but it is located cliff-side on a
    non-standard lot (uneven terrain, large boulders, conglomerate rock
    foundation, large trees).

    RE building code etc., the cottage is located in BC Canada, but this is not
    so important to me at this stage.

    Local retailers sell 'Punch,' and 'Better Homes and Gardens' CAD software,
    but they seem to know very little about the programs vis a vis my
    requirements.

    My question is this: What is best CAD (computer aided design) program for a
    home-owner to manipulate digital images with a view to additions,
    renovations, and extensions?

    Thank you

    Bill

    BNBN, Jan 21, 2005

  2. BNBN wrote:
    > I have taken digital photographs of a cottage I wish to renovate and
    > add extensions.
    >
    > The extensions would include new room additions, alteration of one
    > part of the roof line, making a flat roof-deck with living space
    > beneath, large sundecks, and interior design.
    >
    > The existing cottage is simplicity itself, but it is located
    > cliff-side on a non-standard lot (uneven terrain, large boulders,
    > conglomerate rock foundation, large trees).
    >
    > RE building code etc., the cottage is located in BC Canada, but this
    > is not so important to me at this stage.
    >
    > Local retailers sell 'Punch,' and 'Better Homes and Gardens' CAD
    > software, but they seem to know very little about the programs vis a
    > vis my requirements.
    >
    > My question is this: What is best CAD (computer aided design) program
    > for a home-owner to manipulate digital images with a view to
    > additions, renovations, and extensions?
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    > Bill

    Find a good sized architectural school and check in their bookstore.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Jan 21, 2005

  3. BNBN

    bob Guest

    "BNBN" <> wrote in news:D:

    > My question is this: What is best CAD (computer aided design) program
    > for a home-owner to manipulate digital images with a view to
    > additions, renovations, and extensions?

    Hi Bill,

    I went through that process in putting an addition on our house. I used
    photoshop to maniuplate the images, and a drafting pencil to draw the
    addition. All the good CAD software is pretty pricy for a one-off deal.
    The consumer oriented stuff I bought couldn't handle anything out of the
    ordinary.

    I used Illustrator to draw the plans.

    The various contractors I've delt with have all ended up using the (very
    detailed) plans as a rough guide anyway, and built whatever they felt
    like. If you really want it built a certain way, it seems the only way to
    get there is to babysit.

    Bob

    bob, Jan 21, 2005