    --

    Monte Castleman, <<Spamfilter in Use>>
    Bloomington, MN to email, remove the "q" from my address

    Monte Castleman, Dec 7, 2003

  2. The firewire ports aren't active, and SciAtl says that they should be
    active with a software upgrade at some unspecified future time. So,
    that appears to be a fat "no" for hooking anything up via 1394.
    But, assuming that you have a standalone DVD recorder, you can use
    analog inputs. I know that you would like to have an all-digital
    recording process, but the SA 8000 records in MPEG-2 format, maybe
    only slightly better than VCDs, so keeping everything digital would
    make almost no difference at all.
    You may want to look into the 8000HD or the 8300HD (?) when they come
    out. Since they're high-def, they won't record in MPEG-2 for that, so
    if 1394 compatibility comes out-of-box on those, I'd go for it,
    whether you have an HDTV or not.

    Vidkun Quisling, Dec 12, 2003