digital back on MF vs digital 35mm?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ColdCanuck, Jan 14, 2005.

  1. ColdCanuck

    ColdCanuck Guest

    Howdy!

    I'm hoping this isn't a too obvious question.

    I watched a professional shoot the other day and the photographer had a
    hassey with a H1 digital back.Which got me wondering - what is the advantage
    of a digital back on a MF camera compared to a digital SLR, assuming the
    lenses are comparable (ie. zeiss vs zeiss)?

    With film, the format size is a significant factor between MF and 35mm. With
    digital, is it a question of electronics? If the electronics (sensors,
    chips, etc.) AND the lenses are comparable, is there any advantage of MF
    (w/digital back) over a digital SLR (35mm)?

    While I've been shooting film (35mm & lately MF) for over 20 years, I have
    been studying the digital scene for the last couple of years. I've decided
    it's only a question of when before I make the leap into digital as well.

    Thanks for all replies!

    Norm

    ColdCanuck, Jan 14, 2005

  2. ColdCanuck

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <glIFd.81164$nN6.76125@edtnps84>, ColdCanuck <> wrote:
    >Howdy!
    >
    >I'm hoping this isn't a too obvious question.
    >
    >I watched a professional shoot the other day and the photographer had a
    >hassey with a H1 digital back.Which got me wondering - what is the advantage
    >of a digital back on a MF camera compared to a digital SLR, assuming the
    >lenses are comparable (ie. zeiss vs zeiss)?

    Same as with film - the capture area is bigger. This results in a better
    quality of image, even for the same pixel count. Compare the output from the
    EOS D20 to the 8 megapixel zoom compacts, for a graphic demonstration of
    this advantage.

    Chris Brown, Jan 14, 2005

  3. ColdCanuck

    Guest

    ColdCanuck <> wrote:
    > Howdy!

    > I'm hoping this isn't a too obvious question.

    > I watched a professional shoot the other day and the photographer
    > had a hassey with a H1 digital back.Which got me wondering - what is
    > the advantage of a digital back on a MF camera compared to a digital
    > SLR, assuming the lenses are comparable (ie. zeiss vs zeiss)?

    All other things being equal, large sensors perform better than small
    ones. That is, a 22 megapixel medium-format sensor will perform
    better than a 22 megapixel 35mm size sensor. [1] This is because the
    sensor elements have a limited capacity for photoelectrons before they
    saturate. The more photoelectrons that can be held by a sensor
    elements, the greater the signal to noise ratio, the higher the image
    quality.

    Andrew.

    [1] If a 22 megapixel 35mm size sensor existed, which it doesn't...

    , Jan 14, 2005
  4. ColdCanuck

    Cold Canuck Guest

    "Chris Brown" <_uce_please.com> wrote in message
    > In article <glIFd.81164$nN6.76125@edtnps84>, ColdCanuck <>
    > wrote:
    >>Howdy!
    >>
    >>I'm hoping this isn't a too obvious question.
    >>
    >>I watched a professional shoot the other day and the photographer had a
    >>hassey with a H1 digital back.Which got me wondering - what is the
    >>advantage
    >>of a digital back on a MF camera compared to a digital SLR, assuming the
    >>lenses are comparable (ie. zeiss vs zeiss)?

    > Same as with film - the capture area is bigger. This results in a better
    > quality of image, even for the same pixel count. Compare the output from
    > the
    > EOS D20 to the 8 megapixel zoom compacts, for a graphic demonstration of
    > this advantage.

    Not having access to either, does anyone know of any links to such a
    comparison?

    Cold Canuck, Jan 14, 2005
  5. ColdCanuck

    RSD99 Guest

    See the thread ... in this forum ... started by Bill Hilton

    "Canon 1Ds MII vs medium format digital back"
    Thursday, December 02, 2004 7:12 AM

    And additionally, see the page he referenced at
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/1ds-mk11-vs-p25.shtml

    RSD99, Jan 14, 2005
  6. ColdCanuck

    Cold Canuck Guest

    "RSD99" <> wrote in message
    > See the thread ... in this forum ... started by Bill Hilton
    >
    > "Canon 1Ds MII vs medium format digital back"
    > Thursday, December 02, 2004 7:12 AM
    >
    > And additionally, see the page he referenced at
    > http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/1ds-mk11-vs-p25.shtml

    Thanks RSD99! Great article, very informative!

    cheers,
    Norm

    Cold Canuck, Jan 14, 2005
  7. ColdCanuck

    Crownfield Guest

    ColdCanuck wrote:

    > Howdy!
    >
    > I'm hoping this isn't a too obvious question.
    >
    > I watched a professional shoot the other day and the photographer had a
    > hassey with a H1 digital back.Which got me wondering - what is the advantage
    > of a digital back on a MF camera compared to a digital SLR, assuming the
    > lenses are comparable (ie. zeiss vs zeiss)?

    I think that is a 22mp back, with a 36x49 mm sensor.
    about 4,000 x 5,000 pixels in single shot mode.

    Crownfield, Jan 14, 2005