    Will it be available soon?

    Vaporware?

    Jaime

    Jaime Fischer, Sep 21, 2003

  2. Jaime Fischer

    Ron Andrews Guest

    Vaporware!

    Ron Andrews, Sep 21, 2003

  3. Jaime Fischer

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    I think it is now 5 years since siliconfilm first announced their digital
    "cassettes" and they still have not produced a working model. I strongly
    suspect it is simply a scam to acquire sucker money from venture capitol
    wannabees.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Sep 21, 2003
  4. Jaime Fischer

    Robertwgross Guest

    Jaime wrote:
    >I would like to have a digital back for my F5.
    >Searching the web I found this site:
    >http://www.siliconfilm.com/
    >Anyone knows more about this back and this company?
    >Will it be available soon?
    >Vaporware?

    It will be ready by March. No problem. The trick is to figure out what year.

    ---Bob Gross---

    Robertwgross, Sep 21, 2003
  5. > http://www.siliconfilm.com/
    > Vaporware

    <quote snipped to give answer>

    There is one digital back in the works for a 35mm SLR, and that is only for
    Leica. I believe you can buy Horseman digital cameras that are essentially a
    lightproof box with a shutter, and a Hasselblad digital back mount and Nikon
    lens mount. Robert White (http://www.robertwhite.co.uk go to
    products>digital) sell some. Results are likely to be better than any
    consumer DSLR currently available (and with a 36x24 sensor on some units,
    there's no cropping), but most MF digital backs lend themselves better to
    the studio. Many require direct connection to a laptop.

    Not the answer you were looking for, exactly. But other than the D1 and D100
    series SLRs, this is pretty much it.

    --
    Martin
    Staring at C:\ prompts since 1993

    Martin Francis, Sep 21, 2003
  6. Jaime Fischer

    Lionel Guest

    Word has it that on Sun, 21 Sep 2003 13:54:29 -0400, in this august
    forum, Jaime Fischer <> said:

    >http://www.siliconfilm.com/
    >
    >Anyone knows more about this back and this company?
    >Will it be available soon?
    >
    >Vaporware?

    100% vapourware, sadly.

    Lionel, Sep 21, 2003
  7. Lionel <> wrote in news:pf8smvcdtndgodbn6monnu5cmm2nf7cqev@
    4ax.com:

    > 100% vapourware, sadly.

    Not so sadly really. A digital back for SLR cameras
    does not really work all that well. You need to make
    camera bodies that can take digital (and other) backs.
    Like the medium format cameras, and I assume the Leica.

    Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Sep 21, 2003
  8. Jaime Fischer

    Bob Niland Guest

    > http://www.siliconfilm.com/

    Apparently formerly www.imagek.com
    (now in the hands of a domain broker)

    > Anyone knows more about this back ...

    First rumored in 1997. Irregular stream of
    press releases since March 1998.

    > Will it be available soon?

    How about "ever"?

    At the present rate, none of the cameras
    it was orginally intended for will still
    be working when it ships.

    And with the intro of the Canon EOS-300D,
    the price point that such a device needs
    to beat just dropped dramatically.

    Search on "imagek" and "efs" for the
    history of this continuing soap opera.

    --
    Regards, PO Box 248
    Bob Niland Enterprise

    Unless otherwise specifically stated, expressing personal
    opinions and NOT speaking for any employer, client or Internet
    Service Provider.

    Bob Niland, Sep 22, 2003
  9. Jaime Fischer

    Mark B. Guest

    > Hi
    >
    > I would like to have a digital back for my F5.
    > Searching the web I found this site:
    >
    > http://www.siliconfilm.com/
    >
    > Anyone knows more about this back and this company?
    > Will it be available soon?
    >
    > Vaporware?
    >

    > Jaime

    Ohhhhh noooo...it just won't die!!!!

    Mark B., Sep 22, 2003
  10. Jaime Fischer

    ajacobs2 Guest

    "Robertwgross"

    > It will be ready by March. No problem. The trick is to figure out what

    year.

    > ---Bob Gross---

    Year? More like What Decade, it started in 1998....and they are bankrupt,
    only the origional company who delved off into this misadventure remains
    somewhat alive.

    ajacobs2, Sep 22, 2003
  11. Jaime Fischer

    ajacobs2 Guest

    "Mark B."

    Vaporware?
    Ohhhhh noooo...it just won't die!!!!

    Thus it becomes FARTWARE, Vaporware that stinks!

    ajacobs2, Sep 22, 2003
  12. Jaime Fischer

    Tom Monego Guest

    The Kodak DCS is a digital camera using the F-5, sddly not just a back. You
    can get demos for around $5K new about $6K. We use one in our studio, very
    nice images 6mp 1.5x focal length due to the chip size. The software is
    excellent.

    Tom

    In article <BB935E15.237F%>, says...

    Tom Monego, Sep 22, 2003