    Does the digital audio output on my DVD player replace the RCA audio jacks
    or is it meant to be used in addition to them?

    George

    George, May 14, 2004

  2. George

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "George" <> wrote in message
    news:EUVoc.76728$...
    > Does the digital audio output on my DVD player replace the RCA audio

    jacks
    > or is it meant to be used in addition to them?

    If you have a receiver with a digital audio input, you don't need the
    RCA jacks connected.

    The only exception to this is if you have a DVD-Audio or SACD player, in
    which case you need to use the analog 5.1 connections (6 separate RCA
    cables) with your receiver's appropriate input in order to play back
    those audio formats.

    Joshua Zyber, May 14, 2004

  3. George

    Biz Guest

    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in message
    > "George" <> wrote in message
    > > Does the digital audio output on my DVD player replace the RCA audio

    > jacks
    > > or is it meant to be used in addition to them?

    > If you have a receiver with a digital audio input, you don't need the
    > RCA jacks connected.
    >
    > The only exception to this is if you have a DVD-Audio or SACD player, in
    > which case you need to use the analog 5.1 connections (6 separate RCA
    > cables) with your receiver's appropriate input in order to play back
    > those audio formats.

    What about a DVD music release that is LPCM audio, like a concert or
    something? A couple I can think of off teh top of my head...

    Duran Duran - Video Hits, or Greatest Hits, cant remember the exact title.

    Bryan Adams - Unplugged

    I dont think the LPCM soundtrack is passed over teh digital connection.

    Biz, May 14, 2004
  4. George

    Biz Guest

    "Biz" <> wrote in message
    > I dont think the LPCM soundtrack is passed over teh digital connection.

    Never mind, I had a brain fart....

    Biz, May 14, 2004
  5. >Does the digital audio output on my DVD player replace the RCA audio jacks
    >or is it meant to be used in addition to them?

    They could, or they can be used to supplement your setup.

    For instance, I have a Dolby Digital EX and DTS-ES setup, but I use the RCA
    connections for the audio feed to my television monitor. This way, I can use
    only the TV for sound at times where using the digital surround would not be
    such a great idea, like when you don't want to disturb others who may be
    sleeping. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, May 14, 2004
  6. George

    George Guest

    "LASERandDVDfan" <> wrote in message
    > >Does the digital audio output on my DVD player replace the RCA audio

    jacks
    > >or is it meant to be used in addition to them?

    > They could, or they can be used to supplement your setup.
    >
    > For instance, I have a Dolby Digital EX and DTS-ES setup, but I use the

    RCA
    > connections for the audio feed to my television monitor. This way, I can

    use
    > only the TV for sound at times where using the digital surround would not

    be
    > such a great idea, like when you don't want to disturb others who may be
    > sleeping. - Reinhart

    AAhh. Good idea.
    Thanks.
    George