Digital and/or RCA Connectors - do I need both ?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Speedcheese, Feb 23, 2005.

  1. Speedcheese

    Speedcheese Guest

    Apologies in advance if this appears to be a simple question.

    I have a DVD Player which supports analogue (L/R RCA) sound output as well
    as digital (coax/optical) output. I also have a receiver which can decode
    dolby, DTS etc.

    From an interconnects point of view, I assume that I need a digital
    connection to take advantage of the dolby/DTS etc but do I also need to
    two-channel RCA outputs connected to the receiver too ? My DVD player manual
    gives both options and, in one configuration, recommends both ?

    I can see the case for just connecting digitally with just one interconnect
    but I wanted to see whether there was any advantage/disadvantage in
    connecting the two-channel RCA connectors too ? In particular, if there is
    any disadvantage in doing so.

    TIA.

    Speedcheese, Feb 23, 2005

  2. Speedcheese

    John Howells Guest

    "Speedcheese" <> wrote

    > From an interconnects point of view, I assume that I need a digital
    > connection to take advantage of the dolby/DTS etc but do I also need to
    > two-channel RCA outputs connected to the receiver too ?

    No.

    > My DVD player manual
    > gives both options and, in one configuration, recommends both ?

    In five years I have never needed an additional analogue connection, so I
    cannot imagine what configuration that might be!

    John Howells

    John Howells, Feb 23, 2005

  3. Speedcheese

    rdclark Guest

    Speedcheese wrote:
    > Apologies in advance if this appears to be a simple question.
    >
    > I have a DVD Player which supports analogue (L/R RCA) sound output as

    well
    > as digital (coax/optical) output. I also have a receiver which can

    decode
    > dolby, DTS etc.
    >
    > From an interconnects point of view, I assume that I need a digital
    > connection to take advantage of the dolby/DTS etc but do I also need

    > two-channel RCA outputs connected to the receiver too ? My DVD player

    manual
    > gives both options and, in one configuration, recommends both ?
    >
    > I can see the case for just connecting digitally with just one

    interconnect
    > but I wanted to see whether there was any advantage/disadvantage in
    > connecting the two-channel RCA connectors too ? In particular, if

    there is
    > any disadvantage in doing so.

    One situation in which you'd use both is when you use your DVD player
    both for DVDs and for music CDs. In that case, you might want the
    receiver to default to "surround" on the digital audio input, and to
    "stereo" on the analog, eliminating the need to manually switch every
    time you listen to a CD.

    Also, most digital receivers won't feed the headphone jack (or the tape
    outs) with a stereo downmix of a multichannel digital input,
    particularly when the speakers are on. In that case, adding the analog
    connections from the player will permit simultaneous multichannel
    through the speakers plus stereo from the headphone jack and tape out.
    How this all works will vary a lot from one receiver to the next.

    Personally, I use the analog outs from my player to feed a stereo
    system in the kitchen.

    RichC

    rdclark, Feb 23, 2005
  4. On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 15:36:01 -0000, "John Howells"
    <> wrote:

    >In five years I have never needed an additional analogue connection, so I
    >cannot imagine what configuration that might be!

    If the player could play SACD and/or DVD-A discs, you would need the
    analog cables in addition to the digital cable.

    Kal

    Kalman Rubinson, Feb 23, 2005
  5. Speedcheese

    Large Farva Guest

    "Kalman Rubinson" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 15:36:01 -0000, "John Howells"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>In five years I have never needed an additional analogue connection, so I
    >>cannot imagine what configuration that might be!

    > If the player could play SACD and/or DVD-A discs, you would need the
    > analog cables in addition to the digital cable.

    That would be the six channel analog cables though..just to clarify. Not the
    2 channel.

    Large Farva, Feb 23, 2005
  6. On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 18:01:33 GMT, "Large Farva" <>
    wrote:

    >"Kalman Rubinson" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 15:36:01 -0000, "John Howells"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>In five years I have never needed an additional analogue connection, so I
    >>>cannot imagine what configuration that might be!

    >> If the player could play SACD and/or DVD-A discs, you would need the
    >> analog cables in addition to the digital cable.

    >That would be the six channel analog cables though..just to clarify. Not the
    >2 channel.

    Yes, for multichannel. Of course, there are folks who play SACD/DVD-A
    in 2channel and, for them, only 2 analog cables would be needed. ;-)

    Kal

    Kalman Rubinson, Feb 23, 2005
  7. Speedcheese

    Jeff Rife Guest

    rdclark () wrote in alt.home-theater.misc:
    > Also, most digital receivers won't feed the headphone jack (or the tape
    > outs) with a stereo downmix of a multichannel digital input,
    > particularly when the speakers are on. In that case, adding the analog
    > connections from the player will permit simultaneous multichannel
    > through the speakers plus stereo from the headphone jack and tape out.

    I agree about the tape out...most receivers don't convert digital to analog
    for these outputs at all...regardless of whether the digital in is 2-channel
    or more.

    But, I have had a few different DD (and DTS) receivers and they all *never*
    output to headphones unless the speakers are off, but once the speakers are
    off, you get whatever you choose as input (analog or digital) sent to the
    headphones. I think this is pretty much universal.

    --
    Jeff Rife | "Hey, dogs guard.

    Jeff Rife, Feb 23, 2005
  8. Speedcheese

    Youra nama Guest

    "Speedcheese" <> wrote in

    > Apologies in advance if this appears to be a simple question.
    >
    > I have a DVD Player which supports analogue (L/R RCA) sound output as
    > well as digital (coax/optical) output. I also have a receiver which
    > can decode dolby, DTS etc.
    >
    > From an interconnects point of view, I assume that I need a digital
    > connection to take advantage of the dolby/DTS etc but do I also need
    > to two-channel RCA outputs connected to the receiver too ? My DVD
    > player manual gives both options and, in one configuration, recommends
    > both ?
    >
    > I can see the case for just connecting digitally with just one
    > interconnect but I wanted to see whether there was any
    > advantage/disadvantage in connecting the two-channel RCA connectors
    > too ? In particular, if there is any disadvantage in doing so.
    >
    > TIA.

    ok rca analog but better
    "coax" are analog RF converted
    'digital' is best
    digital-digital-digital no loss
    analog-digital-analog loss
    or any combo of above A-D-A/D-A-D
    and you lose even more when you transfer to RF coax

    thats why we like computer copying .. all digital

    preference computer, digital,s-video,rca,rf(stay away) coax

    Youra nama, Feb 23, 2005
  9. Speedcheese

    Guest Guest

    "Speedcheese" <> wrote in message
    > Apologies in advance if this appears to be a simple question.
    >
    > I have a DVD Player which supports analogue (L/R RCA) sound output as well
    > as digital (coax/optical) output. I also have a receiver which can decode
    > dolby, DTS etc.
    >
    > From an interconnects point of view, I assume that I need a digital
    > connection to take advantage of the dolby/DTS etc but do I also need to
    > two-channel RCA outputs connected to the receiver too ? My DVD player

    manual
    > gives both options and, in one configuration, recommends both ?
    >
    > I can see the case for just connecting digitally with just one

    interconnect
    > but I wanted to see whether there was any advantage/disadvantage in
    > connecting the two-channel RCA connectors too ? In particular, if there is
    > any disadvantage in doing so.
    >
    > TIA.

    Only if you have whats called "zone 2 " speakers.
    Or "b" speakers. These extra speakers only play analog sounds
    For instance my CD player has a digital cable to play music through my main
    system, and also has the left/right in case I want to listen through my "b"
    speakers in another room.
    If you just have the one room dont worry about the left/rights

    Guest, Feb 27, 2005

  10. >>From an interconnects point of view, I assume that I need a digital
    >>connection to take advantage of the dolby/DTS etc but do I also need to
    >>two-channel RCA outputs connected to the receiver too ?

    > Only if you have whats called "zone 2 " speakers.
    > Or "b" speakers. These extra speakers only play analog sounds

    Or you run everything though your receiver and might
    want to copy a dvd to tape, since your vcr probably
    doesn't have digitial ins you would need the RCA ins
    from the dvd player to the receiver and likewise out
    to the vcr.

    drc :)

    Darrel Christenson, Feb 27, 2005
  11. Speedcheese

    Guest Guest

    "John Howells" <> wrote in message

    > "Speedcheese" <> wrote
    >
    > > From an interconnects point of view, I assume that I need a digital
    > > connection to take advantage of the dolby/DTS etc but do I also need to
    > > two-channel RCA outputs connected to the receiver too ?

    > No.
    >
    > > My DVD player manual
    > > gives both options and, in one configuration, recommends both ?

    > In five years I have never needed an additional analogue connection, so I
    > cannot imagine what configuration that might be!
    >
    > John Howells
    > If you use your "b" (or satellite) speakers you often will only get an

    analog signal through them, so you need the analog for those, but you're
    right, with just one listening area the analog outs are often extraneous

    Guest, Mar 11, 2005