DIGITAL AND 1000W STUDIO LIGHTING ...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by chesham, Jul 13, 2004.

  1. chesham

    chesham Guest

    Hello all!

    I am feeling a tad worried ... and slightly more conned ... after treating
    myself to some studio lighting! I stress "lighting" ... and not flash!

    All the sales platter stated that the lighting was "perfect" for digital
    work ... but the photos I have taken do alas have a yellowish tint! I
    understand that I need something in the 5000k range for whiter light ...
    rather than this 3200k set up.

    With film, I used to use a 80B filter that did wonders to cool down the
    shots ... will a similar filter have the same effect on a digital shot?

    If not, can anyone suggest any hints on what I can do with either my
    PAINTSHOP or PHOTOSHOP programs to help eliminate the majority of this tint.

    many thanks

    Jon

    chesham, Jul 13, 2004

  2. chesham

    Boris Harss Guest

    Hi!

    > All the sales platter stated that the lighting was "perfect" for digital
    > work ... but the photos I have taken do alas have a yellowish tint! I
    > understand that I need something in the 5000k range for whiter light ...
    > rather than this 3200k set up.

    Not necessarily, if you have *enough* light ;-)). Set the white point
    of your camera accoriding to the light temperature and you should be
    fine. Using RAW format, just make sure you do the appropriate
    corrections either when correcting to TIFF or...

    > If not, can anyone suggest any hints on what I can do with either my
    > PAINTSHOP or PHOTOSHOP programs to help eliminate the majority of this tint.

    ... use Photoshop (sorry, don't know paintshop), for example the tone
    value correction (sorry again, I am traslating from German, so this
    might be not exactly the term they use in the English version) and here
    the tool for grey-value selection (the middle one of the three little
    pipettes). So, select this pipette-tool and then click on a grey or
    white object in the frame (but nothing over-exposed!).

    Cheers,
    B.

    Boris Harss, Jul 13, 2004

  3. chesham

    Skip M Guest

    "chesham" <> wrote in message
    > Hello all!
    >
    > I am feeling a tad worried ... and slightly more conned ... after treating
    > myself to some studio lighting! I stress "lighting" ... and not flash!
    >
    > All the sales platter stated that the lighting was "perfect" for digital
    > work ... but the photos I have taken do alas have a yellowish tint! I
    > understand that I need something in the 5000k range for whiter light ...
    > rather than this 3200k set up.
    >
    > With film, I used to use a 80B filter that did wonders to cool down the
    > shots ... will a similar filter have the same effect on a digital shot?
    >
    > If not, can anyone suggest any hints on what I can do with either my
    > PAINTSHOP or PHOTOSHOP programs to help eliminate the majority of this

    tint.

    > many thanks
    >
    > Jon

    If what you are using is tungsten, then the 80b or 80a will compensate for
    it. If it is quartz, try shifting the WB until you get what you want.
    The flash setting on WB may do it. What camera are you using?

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Jul 13, 2004
  4. isn't it time to revise the database and its timings?

    Artie

    Arte Phacting, Jul 13, 2004
  5. chesham

    Skip M Guest

    "Skip M" <> wrote in message
    > "chesham" <> wrote in message
    > > Hello all!
    > >
    > > I am feeling a tad worried ... and slightly more conned ... after

    treating
    > > myself to some studio lighting! I stress "lighting" ... and not flash!
    > >
    > > All the sales platter stated that the lighting was "perfect" for digital
    > > work ... but the photos I have taken do alas have a yellowish tint! I
    > > understand that I need something in the 5000k range for whiter light ...
    > > rather than this 3200k set up.
    > >
    > > With film, I used to use a 80B filter that did wonders to cool down the
    > > shots ... will a similar filter have the same effect on a digital shot?
    > >
    > > If not, can anyone suggest any hints on what I can do with either my
    > > PAINTSHOP or PHOTOSHOP programs to help eliminate the majority of this

    > tint.
    > >
    > > many thanks
    > >
    > > Jon

    Like Boris said, you can set your custom white balance to correct for this,
    too. Probably the second easiest, next to the filter, and possibly the most
    effective.

    Skip M, Jul 13, 2004
  6. chesham

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    If you can't set the white point use the same filter you did with film.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Jul 13, 2004
  7. chesham

    chesham Guest

    Thank-you all for your advice!

    It turns out that I was using the wrong control to "try" and change the
    settings ... which left me thinking that it was correct in the first place!

    Success!

    Jonathan

    chesham, Jul 14, 2004
  8. chesham

    zeitgeist Guest

    > I am feeling a tad worried ... and slightly more conned ... after treating
    > myself to some studio lighting! I stress "lighting" ... and not flash!
    >
    > All the sales platter stated that the lighting was "perfect" for digital
    > work ... but the photos I have taken do alas have a yellowish tint! I
    > understand that I need something in the 5000k range for whiter light ...
    > rather than this 3200k set up.
    >
    > With film, I used to use a 80B filter that did wonders to cool down the
    > shots ... will a similar filter have the same effect on a digital shot?
    >
    > If not, can anyone suggest any hints on what I can do with either my
    > PAINTSHOP or PHOTOSHOP programs to help eliminate the majority of this

    tint.

    RTFM,

    read the f'n manual, something about white balance, yeah, that's what WB is.
    aim you camera at something white and press that button.

    note, if you shoot on full auto, the camera will also auto balance with
    whatever colors fill the sensor's few, so if you subject wears a blue jacket
    with a yellow shirt and the sensor sees more blue one shot, more yellow on
    the next you will have a hell of a time getting consistent results.

    the joy of digital is that you didn't have to worry about daylight,
    incandescents, even florescent isn't quite the problem it is with film (and
    now half the bulbs are those mini florescents)

    but bright point light sources are not the most flattering of lighting.

    zeitgeist, Jul 15, 2004